Where to buy old Thinkpads in large lots?

ANC

Does anyone have a contact for a broker or company where I can buy old, old
IBM Thinkpad 600e,x or T's at low prices (under or near $100 each) in lots
of 25, 50 or 100? Google has a lot of possibilities but I thought someone
here might know someone reputable. I want to make 'net appliances' out of
them by putting Linux (which runs well on old hardware) on them and selling
at cost (or maybe donating) them to senior citizens (and centers) who can't
afford computers and who want to have an 'outlet' to the world via the
internet. (I want Thinkpads because of they are well-built and are Linux
friendly.)

Thanks,

Al

dr news

Try ebay for a start, and click that your looking for "lots." If your
looking for working laptops, 600? anything, your not going to find them for
$100. If your looking for ones that don't work, then you have a prayer.
Maybe $150-$250 each working, but probably no o/s.

Lots of T series for under $100? I don't think so either. Maybe $300-$400
each working in lots. Maybe an o/s.

Why you ask: a cheap replacement battery is $50, $25 for an integrated CD,
more if dvd/rw; the power cord; $10. In parts alone, that would be $85 even
if the laptop itself didn't work. If you find these in lots for under $100
working, you should tell us. I'm a big fan of the 600, and X was the top of
the 600 line.

Now, if your looking for some basic 600s, maybe $100 for a P 1, 33mhz that
is working. You'd probably also get software and windows 95 / 98 on it.
Good luck, let us know what you find. dr
--
dr.news //stores.ebay.com/better-price-wireless (not better than you
deserve, just more than you are used to)

news:2r2Xf.60891$(E-Mail Removed). com...

dr news wrote:

> Try ebay for a start, and click that your looking for "lots." *If your
> looking for working laptops, 600? anything, your not going to find them
> for $100. *If your looking for ones that don't work, then you have a
> prayer. Maybe $150-$250 each working, but probably no o/s.

Thanks for the post.

First, I don't need an OS. I don't even want one! I'll install Linux.

I didn't know about 'lots' keyword. I'll try it.

I've been on ebay and see a number of old 600/e/x boxen for around $100 but
most seem to sell for around $150....and the posts say they work... but you
never know.... and I don't want to buy in ones and twos. No time for that.

This is why I am looking for a broker or liquidator who might have a
warehouse full of these old beasts that came off lease from some large
company who didn't abuse the machines. So far I've not found anyone other
than those who want to sell to me at retail...$250+ for the TP 600 or early
T line.

Maybe I should look at different line? What was made by Toshiba or Dell or
HP that was well-built and will be Linux friendly? (Will probably use Damn
Small Linux.)

Thanks again,
Al

dr news

Anc: I just went to ebay and did a search. While I did not find hundeds, I
did find lots of "lot"
Search ebay for the following: ibm thinkpad (600, 600e, 600x)
After the search, refine it by clicking the "Items listed as lots"

lot of 6 6865535943, $75 for 6 ibm 600e's... you have to look about.
THIS AUCTION IS FOR A LOT OF 6 IBM 600E THINKPAD LAPTOP COMPUTERS.
UNITS HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED OTHER THAN THEY BOOT.

1.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
2.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
3.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
4.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
5.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
6.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
7.. 6 IBM POWER SUPPLIES ARE INCLUDED WITH THIS LOT.
8.. 6 HDD'S ARE ALSO INCLUDED THEY WILL BE 6 TO 10 GIG UNTESTED.

Heck, 6850189933, was for 12 batteries, asking $369, or $36/battery, and you
want to buy the whole unit working for $100? that should be interesting.
Good Luck.

You will most likely find someone to sell you a pallat of IBM thinkpads,
untested, as-is. Just ask some of the ebay sellers who sell large
quantities, and I'm sure you'll find your untested pallet full. Let us know
what you find.
--
dr.news //stores.ebay.com/better-price-wireless (not better than you
deserve, just more than you are used to)

"ANC" <anc@not_to_beadams-blake.not_tobe.com> wrote in message
news:POcXf.7225$(E-Mail Removed) m...
dr news wrote:

> Try ebay for a start, and click that your looking for "lots." If your
> looking for working laptops, 600? anything, your not going to find them
> for $100. If your looking for ones that don't work, then you have a
> prayer. Maybe $150-$250 each working, but probably no o/s.

Thanks for the post.

First, I don't need an OS. I don't even want one! I'll install Linux.

I didn't know about 'lots' keyword. I'll try it.

I've been on ebay and see a number of old 600/e/x boxen for around $100 but
most seem to sell for around $150....and the posts say they work... but you
never know.... and I don't want to buy in ones and twos. No time for that.

This is why I am looking for a broker or liquidator who might have a
warehouse full of these old beasts that came off lease from some large
company who didn't abuse the machines. So far I've not found anyone other
than those who want to sell to me at retail...$250+ for the TP 600 or early
T line.

Maybe I should look at different line? What was made by Toshiba or Dell or
HP that was well-built and will be Linux friendly? (Will probably use Damn
Small Linux.)

Thanks again,
Al

dr news

This sounds like exactly what you were looking for: The rest is up to you.
dr $4500 for 23 thinkpads.... doing the math, that's more than $100 each.
http://www.sell.com/2MCBC (ps, I'm not selling, I'm just looking for you)
PC Software Included- Windows ME ,98SE

Qty 1 P III 700 MHZ T20? 128MB RAM ,12GB HDD,14.1TFT Active,56K
Qty 5P III 500 MHZ 2644-6BU 128MB RAM ,12GB HDD,13.3TFT Active,56K
Qty 5 P III 450 MHZ 2644-1AU 128MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3TFT Active,56K
Qty 5P II 366 MHZ 2644-3AU 64MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3 TFT Active,56k
Qty 4 P II 333 MHZ 2644-3AU 64MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3 TFT Active,56k
Qty 3 P II 300 MHZ 2644-3AU 64MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3 TFT Active,56k
Total-23

sell.com classifieds : Lot of 23 IBM thinkpads+MORE for sale in Atlanta
(2MCBC)
Welcome You are bidding on a HUGE lot of 23 mixed Ibm thinkpads. This is a
off lease sale one time only!. All laptops come from liqudation sales to our
warehouse. All laptops are in original sales condition.For Sale
Warehous... - Please DO NOT bid unless you intend to buy! Your offer
constitues agreement to these terms and will be considered ...
www.sell.com/2MCBC - 26k - Cached - More from this site - Save

That wasn't hard to find... yahoo search for ibm thinkpad lot :-) Just take
a little bit of effort, and you can tell us what types of deals you found.
dr
--

dr news wrote:

> Heck, 6850189933, was for 12 batteries, asking $369, or $36/battery, and
> you
> want to buy the whole unit working for $100? that should be interesting.
> Good Luck.
>
> You will most likely find someone to sell you a pallat of IBM thinkpads,
> untested, as-is. Just ask some of the ebay sellers who sell large
> quantities, and I'm sure you'll find your untested pallet full. Let us
> know what you find.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the work you did for me.

I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and Costco today and found you can buy a
basic laptop for $599 to $699 depending on what is on sale and what rebates
are available. And with Dell you can order one for $499:
http://tinyurl.com/aaqof .

I don't see how these old 600e,x boxen can hold their price. Who wants to
pay $200 to 250 for a circa 1999 IBM 600e when for a few bucks more you get
something a thousand times more powerful?

I guess I was stupid enough to expect to find some liquidator somewhere who
would say "We got bjillion of these 600s so just give us something,
anything, for them so we can get them out of our warehouse!"

I didn't realize the parts were so expensive.

Maybe I need to think about other brands beside IBM? Problem is that I don't
know what is Linux-friendly as well as half-way well built in the Toshiba,
Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. lines.

Thanks again.

Al

Al

JHEM

ANC wrote:
> I guess I was stupid enough to expect to find some liquidator
> somewhere who would say "We got bjillion of these 600s so just give
> us something, anything, for them so we can get them out of our
> warehouse!"

The 600 series is so old that the "lots" have all been liquidated long ago,
they're now sold as individual units on eBay.

You'd have better luck looking for _newer_ T series units. There are tons of
T23 units coming off lease right now and there are pallet loads of them
available. $100 each is a bit far fetched, but $150 each is not outside the
realm of possibility.

Regards,

James

timeOday

ANC wrote:

> I don't see how these old 600e,x boxen can hold their price. Who wants to
> pay $200 to 250 for a circa 1999 IBM 600e when for a few bucks more you get
> something a thousand times more powerful?

It is strange, isn't it. I've watched used laptop prices for years, and
they're always higher than I'm willing to pay. I think the "problem" is
so many people just want something for non-demanding office type work,
which almost any machine can do. A lot of people don't want to pay for
cutting edge performance, battery life, or portability.