Where to buy RAM?

Michelle Steiner

A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She has
only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She lives in
Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or tomorrow, so mail
order is not an option for her.

I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are too
high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1) I don't
trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way for her.

Any constructive suggestions?

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

larwe

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She has
> only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She lives in

errr... they're bog-standard SODIMMs. Circuit City, Staples, Best Buy,
CompUSA, .......

Tom Stiller

<http://www.crucial.com>

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

D. Kirkpatrick

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any constructive suggestions?

Not without ,offering mail order. Depends on how fast you need it.

Some place ship FedX same day.

I use www.datamem.com

They are in New Hampshire but ship same day if orders are received by
3-4 PM EST.

DMK

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tom Stiller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
> > has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
> > lives in Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or
> > tomorrow, so mail order is not an option for her.
> >
> > I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are
> > too high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1)
> > I don't trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way
> > for her.
> >
> > Any constructive suggestions?

> <http://www.crucial.com>

Brick and mortar; she wants to be able to go there today or tomorrow and
install the RAM the same day.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
"larwe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
> > has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
> > lives in

> errr... they're bog-standard SODIMMs. Circuit City, Staples, Best
> Buy, CompUSA, .......

What brand memory do each of those places sell, and are they reliable
brands?

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Grandpa

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She has
> only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She lives in
> Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or tomorrow, so mail
> order is not an option for her.
>
> I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are too
> high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1) I don't
> trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way for her.
>
> Any constructive suggestions?

Well, you *could* try the websites of a couple of the local brickhouses,
and see what they have to offer before she makes the trek. Depending on
the model, Best Buy may or may not have PNY, or Kingston modules
available, Circuit City seems to be a wash, and I'm just not familiar
with her area to know off the top of my head what's around there.
--
Grandpa

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tom Stiller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
> > > has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
> > > lives in Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or
> > > tomorrow, so mail order is not an option for her.
> > >
> > > I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are
> > > too high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1)
> > > I don't trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way
> > > for her.
> > >
> > > Any constructive suggestions?

> > <http://www.crucial.com>

> Brick and mortar; she wants to be able to go there today or tomorrow and
> install the RAM the same day.

Act in haste; repent in leisure.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

tacit

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What brand memory do each of those places sell, and are they reliable
> brands?

With memory, brand names don't matter much--the name on the sticker is
not the name of the company that makes the RAM. All the RAM comes from
only a handful of factories in Taiwan; the RAM vendors merely stick
their sticker on it and sell it.

Any brand that carries a lifetime replacement warranty is fine. I
usually stay away from places like Best Buy or CompUSA; they charge the
extra special "rape you in the ass because you're buying at a large
chain retailer" prices for things like RAM, which granted are not as
high as Apple's prices, but are still pretty obnoxious. When I need
RAM[*], I just hop in the car and drive down a busy street until I find
a little hole in the wall, mom-and-pop computer store in a strip mall
somewhere, ask 'em if they have a lifetime replacement warranty on their
RAM, and if the answer is yes, that's where I get it.

You didn't say what model of G4 this RAM is going in, but odds are good
if it's an older G4 you will need PC100 or PC133 DIMMs. These are old
enough that they're getting hard to find.

* For anything but a MacPro, that is. The FBDIMMs required by a MacPro
are pretty exotic, and I have not had any luck finding them anywhere
save online.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Rob

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:19:17 -0800, Michelle Steiner wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tom Stiller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
>>> has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
>>> lives in Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or
>>> tomorrow, so mail order is not an option for her.
>>>
>>> I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are
>>> too high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1)
>>> I don't trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way
>>> for her.
>>>
>>> Any constructive suggestions?

>> <http://www.crucial.com>

> Brick and mortar; she wants to be able to go there today or tomorrow and
> install the RAM the same day.

I would try Best Buy with their Geek Guys service to install the ram.