Buying Notebook

Five By Five

After nearly 5 years, time to replace my HP Pav dv9500t, which I was able to
buy custom-to-order online (not at local store).

In fact, I am really wondering if what I want can be bought (listed below) at
any local store any place in the U.S.

My wife will be visiting Washington D.C. area for several days, and I am
hoping she can buy what I need. Buying it where I reside costs double
(customs, bribes, sales taxes) what one would pay for in the U.S., which is
why this is done.

Is anyone familiar with reputable notebook sellers in Washington D.C. area?

Models I have shown interest in:

* Dell Precision M6600
* Asus G74SX
* Origin EON 17-S, 17-X

The main requirements are in a video card that handles scientific image
analysis software and a large display (17-inch or greater). Quadcore CPU,
7200 rpm HDD and/or SSD.

I seriously doubt Staples or Best Buy cater to these specific models, but I
could be wrong.

BillW50

In news:XnsA005DB2CD74C85x55x5@88.198.244.100,
Five By Five typed:
> After nearly 5 years, time to replace my HP Pav dv9500t, which I was
> able to buy custom-to-order online (not at local store).
>
> In fact, I am really wondering if what I want can be bought (listed
> below) at any local store any place in the U.S.
>
> My wife will be visiting Washington D.C. area for several days, and I
> am hoping she can buy what I need. Buying it where I reside costs
> double (customs, bribes, sales taxes) what one would pay for in the
> U.S., which is why this is done.
>
> Is anyone familiar with reputable notebook sellers in Washington D.C.
> area?
>

> Models I have shown interest in:
>
> * Dell Precision M6600
> * Asus G74SX
> * Origin EON 17-S, 17-X
>
> The main requirements are in a video card that handles scientific
> image analysis software and a large display (17-inch or greater).
> Quadcore CPU, 7200 rpm HDD and/or SSD.
>
> I seriously doubt Staples or Best Buy cater to these specific models,
> but I could be wrong.

They both have websites and you should be able to checkout what they
have. And even if a store in the DC area stocks what you are looking
for. And if not, they could get it to a store in a few days. Does this
help you out?

--
Bill
Asus EeePC 701 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Bob_Villa

On Feb 26, 1:32*pm, Five By Five <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> After nearly 5 years, time to replace my HP Pav dv9500t, which I was ableto
> buy custom-to-order online (not at local store).
>
> In fact, I am really wondering if what I want can be bought (listed below) at
> any local store any place in the U.S.
>
> My wife will be visiting Washington D.C. area for several days, and I am
> hoping she can buy what I need. *Buying it where I reside costs double
> (customs, bribes, sales taxes) what one would pay for in the U.S., which is
> why this is done.
>
> Is anyone familiar with reputable notebook sellers in Washington D.C. area?
>
> Models I have shown interest in:
>
> * Dell Precision M6600
> * Asus G74SX
> * Origin EON 17-S, 17-X
>
> The main requirements are in a video card that handles scientific image
> analysis software and a large display (17-inch or greater). *Quadcore CPU,
> 7200 rpm HDD and/or SSD.
>
> I seriously doubt Staples or Best Buy cater to these specific models, butI
> could be wrong.

It seems these requirements must have just prung-up...not needing a
replacement for that amount of time!? Why so intense a machine that
could be had more easily with a desktop?