Can the computer's time-clock speed be adjusted?

wylbur37

I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 running Windows XP Pro.

I've noticed that the computer's clock falls behind by about one or
two minutes per day.

Is there any way to adjust the "speed" of the clock (to have it run a
little faster so I don't have to reset the time every couple of days)?

By the way, I always use the computer on the AC adapter, *without* the
batteries in place. Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
If yes, is it fairly easy to change?

(Please do *NOT* advise me to have the computer automatically set its
clock by linking to an internet site. I'm already aware of that idea.
I want to solve the problem directly).

Thanks for your help.

JHEM

wylbur37 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
> If yes, is it fairly easy to change?

Yes and Yes.

Turn the unit over, remove the primary battery and the CMOS battery resides
under the plastic cover held by one screw in the battery compartment.

Regards,

James

CeeBee

(E-Mail Removed) (wylbur37) wrote in comp.sys.laptops:

> By the way, I always use the computer on the AC adapter, *without* the
> batteries in place. Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?

It's most likely a CMOS battery problem. This is easy to check by
putting the laptop on AC for 24 hours and see if the problem persists.
If not, change your CMOS battery. Maybe the CMOS battery can be found in
the vicinity of the battery compartiment. I don't know for sure, though.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

wylbur37

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message news:<pp5qc.135327$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> wylbur37 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Could it be because of the internal CMOS battery?
> > If yes, is it fairly easy to change?

> Yes and Yes.
>
> Turn the unit over, remove the primary battery and the CMOS battery resides
> under the plastic cover held by one screw in the battery compartment.

When I take out the existing CMOS battery, will the CMOS forget its settings?

lars@fake.com>

On 19 May 2004 02:26:56 -0700, wylbur37 wrote:

>When I take out the existing CMOS battery, will the CMOS forget its settings?

Yes. On next boot-up you will have to set the date and time,
and then reboot a couple of times when Bios is detecting
things.

It is no big deal if you only have to do it once every five
years or so. But it gets to you after a while when your battery
is dead and you have to do that procedure every time you do a
cold boot.

Lars, Stockholm

jake

you could just run a s/w program that will check time and keep it updated
regularly .. xp has one built in ..

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...