Can I create a Guest user?

Posterizer

Gang,
I'd like to create a Guest user account on my machine (G5, Panther).
IIRC, in Classic there was a Guest user by default. I don't see that
here, and when I tried to create one using the name "Guest" it told me
that I could not use that name. Am I overlooking a default Guest
account?

BTW, I tried fast-switching even with just one account. It's neat. But
in my playing around with it, I put the system to sleep while it was at
the login window, and upon re-awakening, the system was froze. No
mouse, no force-quitting, only finding the power strip and powering
everything down...

_d

simples_it@yahoo.it

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Posterizer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gang,
> I'd like to create a Guest user account on my machine (G5, Panther).
> IIRC, in Classic there was a Guest user by default. I don't see that
> here, and when I tried to create one using the name "Guest" it told me
> that I could not use that name. Am I overlooking a default Guest
> account?

You can use 'Guest' for the 'Name' field but not the short name, so use
something else for that such as 'anybody', and leave the password
blank.

Rob.

Posterizer

In article <061120032222040195%(E-Mail Removed)>,

> You can use 'Guest' for the 'Name' field but not the short name, so use
> something else for that such as 'anybody', and leave the password
> blank.

Thanks (and thanks for the note about the password--I forgot to ask if I
could have a non-passworded account

_dennis

Mats Weber

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Posterizer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BTW, I tried fast-switching even with just one account.

How did you do that with only one account ?

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mats Weber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Posterizer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >BTW, I tried fast-switching even with just one account.

> How did you do that with only one account ?

Maybe one could still select "Login screen" or whatever it is called,
from the "user menu" at top right and get to the login screen. Then if
the login is set to show a list of users, there would be the name of the
only user and the text "Logged in". The only fun I see in doing this
would be watching the cube animation

But if the screen is set to show just the username/password fields, it
would be harder to guess what to type in these than to "just" give the
password in the screen saver. This could prove additional security,
although I donīt think anyone would bother to get into someone elseīs
machine by guessing passwords manually from the keyboard.

..lauri

Posterizer

In article <bofuok$kgh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
l <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mats Weber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > How did you do that with only one account ?

> Maybe one could still select "Login screen" or whatever it is called,
> from the "user menu" at top right and get to the login screen. Then if
> the login is set to show a list of users, there would be the name of the
> only user and the text "Logged in". The only fun I see in doing this
> would be watching the cube animation

That's exactly how I did it. And that's about all I got out of it
(except for the freeze after I put it to sleep and woke it back up on
that login screen--I'm afraid to try that again...)

_d

How to enable Guest users to join wireless networks on their own? smisra.list@gmail.com Apple 3 03-23-2007 02:56 AM
xp in a ppc (using vpc or guest) peyoting Apple 2 08-24-2006 09:11 AM
Guest PC Rlee James Apple 3 12-15-2005 11:22 PM
Guest account? Gnarlodious Apple 11 10-26-2004 01:43 AM
Sharepoints - Why cant guest user create folders Terry McDanel Apple 0 05-07-2004 06:40 PM