can i have surround sound with sound blaster?

Elhanan

hi..

i have an HTPC with sb audigy 2 zs.. it connects to a marrantz 4300 via
spdif.

problem the reciver won't recognize even on dvd i play on my pc any
sorround sound. (i only see L/R and subwoofer spreakers enabled on the
reciver)
while connecting a regular dvd to reciver does so.

i'm using beyond media as my dvd player.

T Shadow

"Elhanan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> hi..
>

> i have an HTPC with sb audigy 2 zs.. it connects to a marrantz 4300 via
> spdif.
>
> problem the reciver won't recognize even on dvd i play on my pc any
> sorround sound. (i only see L/R and subwoofer spreakers enabled on the
> reciver)
> while connecting a regular dvd to reciver does so.
>
> i'm using beyond media as my dvd player.

IIRC the Audigy won't output digital when playing DVDs. You'll need an
analog connection to do digital surround from the DVD. DMCA strikes again,
You have to RTFM to know this because they sure as hell don't want you to
know before you buy.

Elhanan

how can i use analog connection for sorround sound? will i need
computer speakers for that? or can i use my reciver?

i tried donwloading the manual , but it's corrupt.

i also changed my sound card defintions to use external decoder, so i
do get dolby digital (according to the signals of my reciver) , but
only left/right/ sub woofer speakers.

T Shadow

"Elhanan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> how can i use analog connection for sorround sound? will i need
> computer speakers for that? or can i use my reciver?
>
> i tried donwloading the manual , but it's corrupt.
>
> i also changed my sound card defintions to use external decoder, so i
> do get dolby digital (according to the signals of my reciver) , but
> only left/right/ sub woofer speakers.

You should have a pdf file on the disc(s) that came with your card that show
everything you need for analog connection.

Elhanan

ok.. first of all i manage to get digital audio, as for the limited
channel i was dum and forgot that dvd itself can send 2.1 audio or 5.1
audio now i have it all for dvd.

what's left is analouge, problem is i assume the pdf is referrign to pc
speakers, now when i run the diagnotstics, i only hear front spreakers,
no subwoofer no sorround. i don't know how can i hook it up to a
reciver. i saw something called pre-out on a reciver, i don't know if
that's related.

T Shadow

"Elhanan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> ok.. first of all i manage to get digital audio, as for the limited
> channel i was dum and forgot that dvd itself can send 2.1 audio or 5.1
> audio now i have it all for dvd.
>

> what's left is analouge, problem is i assume the pdf is referrign to pc
> speakers, now when i run the diagnotstics, i only hear front spreakers,
> no subwoofer no sorround. i don't know how can i hook it up to a
> reciver. i saw something called pre-out on a reciver, i don't know if
> that's related.

You have 3 mini-phone jacks for output on the Audigy but I have no idea how
it connects to your receiver. My receiver is still analog surround and I
don't have the computer hooked to it.
Good luck.

Elhanan

well i think i've managed to get it. it has an 6.1 RCA analog input
plugs, and i have to switch to 6.1 input mode, (the only the sucks are
the mini jacks which are of good quality which makes them thick), they
can't be all connected to the back of the card, becouse they have no
room, so i have to get a small female-male extender for one of them.

also i think the third connection should be 3 RCA to a mini jack
becouse it's for sub-wooder, center and back center.

Enjoy your films to the max ! (Tip how to get dolby 5.1 surround sound working with X-Fi soundblaster and 7.1 surround sound system ! ;)) Skybuck Flying Nvidia 13 09-10-2007 12:55 PM
No surround sound. IC7G Terry Abit 10 02-18-2006 02:14 PM
KV7 : Surround sound output & Line-In socket problem Marcus Abit 0 11-27-2005 06:48 PM
What do I need do have 5.1 surround when playing DVD's? Jabba Soundblaster Live 2 04-19-2004 07:17 PM
K8V-D: can't get SPDIF to send surround sound Hjalmar Asus 1 02-10-2004 06:49 PM