Can I have two sound cards?

Sexy Hallik

I have an issue with a multiboot machine. I am very happy with my
old Turtle Beach Montego sound card that I use for Windows 98 and
XP.

Now I've installed SuSE Linux and can't get the sound card working.

I already know it's not supported directly by SuSE. I've gone on
the web and done a lot of searching. The closest I've come is to
download some developer sources with some precompiled object files
(.o's, that is) with no sources included for the object files.

I got it to compile, but it wouldn't link because the gcc version
used to compile the kernel is too much newer than the version used
to compile the object files in the source dist.

Anyway...

I have a cheapo sound card that I might be able to use with SuSE
but I'd like to keep my old TB card as well. I'd just like to be
able to have SOME sound when I boot SuSE. I was amazed how much
sound cards are nowadays. Yes, I have some Scottish blood in me.

So: Is there a way to install two sound cards at the same time
without unresolvable conflicts?

Thanks.

CB

PS. Any other solutions to my problem are solicited and welcome.

Slug

On Wed, 05 May 2004 00:23:13 GMT, Sexy Hallik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an issue with a multiboot machine. I am very happy with my
>old Turtle Beach Montego sound card that I use for Windows 98 and
>XP.
>
>Now I've installed SuSE Linux and can't get the sound card working.
>
>I already know it's not supported directly by SuSE. I've gone on
>the web and done a lot of searching. The closest I've come is to
>download some developer sources with some precompiled object files
>(.o's, that is) with no sources included for the object files.
>
>I got it to compile, but it wouldn't link because the gcc version
>used to compile the kernel is too much newer than the version used
>to compile the object files in the source dist.
>
>Anyway...
>
>I have a cheapo sound card that I might be able to use with SuSE
>but I'd like to keep my old TB card as well. I'd just like to be
>able to have SOME sound when I boot SuSE. I was amazed how much
>sound cards are nowadays. Yes, I have some Scottish blood in me.
>
>So: Is there a way to install two sound cards at the same time
>without unresolvable conflicts?
>
>Thanks.
>
>CB
>
>PS. Any other solutions to my problem are solicited and welcome.

Yea, you can do that so long as they each have their own IRQ. In
Windows you can select which soundcard to use for palyback or
recording. I expect you can do the same in Suse.

Fantrace

"Slug" <slug@no_email.here> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yea, you can do that so long as they each have their own IRQ. In
> Windows you can select which soundcard to use for palyback or
> recording. I expect you can do the same in Suse.

Is it possible in WinXP to have 2 soundcards working at the same time - one
for normal desktop use and the second for sending audio (MP3s really) to a
hifi system?

TS

>Is it possible in WinXP to have 2 soundcards working at the same time - one
>for normal desktop use and the second for sending audio (MP3s really) to a
>hifi system?

No problem - just set the normal one as the standard soundcard
(primary device). The second one will only be used if the first one is
already occupied (this is unlikely to happen under win98 and later) or
when you select it by hand in the output options of your sound
playback programs...
You can also have 3 or more installed cards as well - if you manage to
have enough slots and ressources left