Can I install XP on a HP Pavilion dv9505tx ?

Baron Samedi

Let's not get into why. For personal reasons, this is the worst
purchase decision of my entire life. Vista must die!!

I have now bought an XP install (legit), but when I try it, and tell
it to format the C: partition and install there, then it says that it
does, says that it copies install files, reboots ... and comes back up
in Vista.

Soem googling suggetsed that I need to add SATA drivers by pressing F6
during XP install, but I mailed Western Digital and they said that no
driver is necessary and referred me to M$.

I don't care how (boot & nuke, Linux, whatever), but I want to trash
Vista and install XP (dual booting with Linux, but I can handle that
part myself).

Any suggestions? I am at my wits' end.

Thanks in advance.

David Fairbrother

Baron Samedi wrote:
> Let's not get into why. For personal reasons, this is the worst
> purchase decision of my entire life. Vista must die!!
>
> I have now bought an XP install (legit), but when I try it, and tell
> it to format the C: partition and install there, then it says that it
> does, says that it copies install files, reboots ... and comes back up
> in Vista.
>
> Soem googling suggetsed that I need to add SATA drivers by pressing F6
> during XP install, but I mailed Western Digital and they said that no
> driver is necessary and referred me to M$.
>
> I don't care how (boot & nuke, Linux, whatever), but I want to trash
> Vista and install XP (dual booting with Linux, but I can handle that
> part myself).
>
> Any suggestions? I am at my wits' end.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Have you tried using an "emergency disk" (ie. bare command line) and
just doing a format c:?

Baron Samedi

On Aug 17, 4:24 pm, David Fairbrother <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Baron Samedi wrote:
> > Let's not get into why. For personal reasons, this is the worst
> > purchase decision of my entire life. Vista must die!!

> > I have now bought an XP install (legit), but when I try it, and tell
> > it to format the C: partition and install there, then it says that it
> > does, says that it copies install files, reboots ... and comes back up
> > in Vista.

> > Soem googling suggetsed that I need to add SATA drivers by pressing F6
> > during XP install, but I mailed Western Digital and they said that no
> > driver is necessary and referred me to M$.

> > I don't care how (boot & nuke, Linux, whatever), but I want to trash
> > Vista and install XP (dual booting with Linux, but I can handle that
> > part myself).

> > Any suggestions? I am at my wits' end.

> > Thanks in advance.

> Have you tried using an "emergency disk" (ie. bare command line) and
> just doing a format c:?- Hide quoted text -

At first I thought it was a dual core problem, then maybe sata, since
xp install can't see any hardrives. I went back to the shop and the
guy who sold it did it for me. he said that it'sa chipset thing - xp
doesn't support the new chipset (and a surprising number of people are
coming to him because they can't stand vista - are you listening, hp?
dell had to back down - start offering a choice between vista and xp)

Ben Myers

Right, you need chipset drivers to access SATA drives on many (not all) of the
motherboards with SATA drive connectors. Motherboard (and maybe some laptop)
manufacturers have solved this problem with some models by having a BIOS option
to configure the SATA drives to operate on a PATA emulation mode.

You need to determine the motherboard chipset (probably Intel unless the CPU is
AMD), then go to the chipset manufacturer's web site and download the SATA
drivers for the chipset. Next, you need to put them on a FLOPPY diskette drive,
because that is the only device which good old Micro$oft allows to be used to
add drivers during the initial phase of an XP (or Windows 2000) install.

Western Digital has nothing to do with this. They only make SATA drives, like
Seagate, Hitachi and the others. No drivers there.

HP will, of course, crap out and say that XP is unsupported on your computer. It
is all one sorry mess, sometimes called a circle-jerk among those who are rude
and impolite... Ben Myers

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:26:40 -0700, Baron Samedi <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Aug 17, 4:24 pm, David Fairbrother <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Baron Samedi wrote:
>> > Let's not get into why. For personal reasons, this is the worst
>> > purchase decision of my entire life. Vista must die!!

>> > I have now bought an XP install (legit), but when I try it, and tell
>> > it to format the C: partition and install there, then it says that it
>> > does, says that it copies install files, reboots ... and comes back up
>> > in Vista.

>> > Soem googling suggetsed that I need to add SATA drivers by pressing F6
>> > during XP install, but I mailed Western Digital and they said that no
>> > driver is necessary and referred me to M$.

>> > I don't care how (boot & nuke, Linux, whatever), but I want to trash
>> > Vista and install XP (dual booting with Linux, but I can handle that
>> > part myself).

>> > Any suggestions? I am at my wits' end.

>> > Thanks in advance.

>> Have you tried using an "emergency disk" (ie. bare command line) and
>> just doing a format c:?- Hide quoted text -

>At first I thought it was a dual core problem, then maybe sata, since
>xp install can't see any hardrives. I went back to the shop and the
>guy who sold it did it for me. he said that it'sa chipset thing - xp
>doesn't support the new chipset (and a surprising number of people are
>coming to him because they can't stand vista - are you listening, hp?
>dell had to back down - start offering a choice between vista and xp)

wubbaworwee@hotmail.com

Hey to all, I just recently purchased a HP Pavilion dv9500, found out
how difficult it is to install xp on these models and am almost 90%
there. I have gotten around the "no hard drives detected" problem by
installing the correct chipset drivers, amongst other hp device
drivers.. installation process is fine except once install is
complete, i get the blue screen of death on the first boot!?... Anyone
100% succeeded in a clean install of xp 32 bit???