How can I load Windows XP on an HP Proliant ML330 G3? Please?

w8kzw

I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
tell me how?

Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
this!

Is there a better group to post this to?

THANKS!

Ben Myers

On 6/24/2010 5:24 PM, w8kzw wrote:
> I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
> says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.
>
> Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
> tell me how?
>
> Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
> this!
>
> Is there a better group to post this to?
>
> THANKS!

Let's start with a description of whatever problem you have had. I'll
bet that XP does not have drivers for whatever SCSI controller is on the
system. Or maybe the ServerWorks GC-SL Chipset. Or the NC7760 PCI
Gigabit Server Adapter. Or the ATA RAID controller. Without drivers
for these devices, installing XP is a lost cause, unless somehow the
Windows 2003 drivers would install and work properly.

You're better off with desktop Linux... Ben Myers

Barry

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT), w8kzw
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
>says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

XP needs more than 144 MB.

>Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
>tell me how?
>
>Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
>this!

What happens when you try?

>Is there a better group to post this to?
>
>THANKS!

Ben Myers

On 6/24/2010 8:48 PM, Barry wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:24:23 -0700 (PDT), w8kzw
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
>> says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

> XP needs more than 144 MB.
>
>> Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
>> tell me how?
>>
>> Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
>> this!

> What happens when you try?
>
>> Is there a better group to post this to?
>>
>> THANKS!

Betcha he meant 72 Gee-Bee SCSI drives. Haven't seen anything as small
as 72MB SCSI in at least 15 years... Ben Myers

Benjamin Gawert

Am 24.06.2010 22:24, * w8kzw:
> I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. HP
> says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.

Yeah, that's what I call a detailed problem description. If you ask your
help you should have at least the curtesy to be a bit more descriptive
about what exactly the problem is.

> Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? Can you please
> tell me how?

Sure.

- First verify what controller the disks are actually connected to. Then
go to the HP site and download the Windows Server 2003 drivers (they
work with Windowsxp, too) for the disk controller:

<http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=3279701 &prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316573&swLang=8&tas kId=135&swEnvOID=1005>

- Put the drivers on a floppy disk

- Go to the ProLiant's BIOS and select the CDROM as primary boot drive

- Insert the Windowsxp CD and restart the server

- When it starts loading from the Windows CD then wait until the message
"Press F6 to add drivers" shows up and do that (press F6)

- Insert the driver floppy and follow the onscreen steps to load the
driver from the floppy

- Continue with the installation

- Later, add drivers for the other hardware from the HP website or from
the component manufacturer's site

Benjamin

MayI

Thanks to all for the help ... I will continue to try to get this
going. And yes, I did mean 72 GB.

While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
incomplete) description.

Ben Myers

On 6/25/2010 5:05 PM, MayI wrote:
> Thanks to all for the help ... I will continue to try to get this
> going. And yes, I did mean 72 GB.
>
> While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
> stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
> nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
> incomplete) description.

For some of us, it was easy to infer what sort of problem you were
having, incomplete description notwithstanding. In other words, it was
easy for me to tell that the problem had to do with missing drivers,
once I checked to see what chipsets are in the ML330 G3.

The suggestion to TRY to use the Windows Server 2003 drivers with XP is
a good one. Getting the drivers into a format on a FLOPPY (another
stupid design decision by Microsoft) usable by the XP installer may pose
a challenge.

The most important of the missing drivers are the ones for the
motherboard chipset and for the SCSI disk controller. If you can get
those loaded early in the XP install (press F6), you should be able to
complete the task... Ben Myers

Bob Villa

On Jun 24, 4:24*pm, w8kzw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz HP with a pair of 72 MB SCSI drives. *HP
> says XP is not supported, and I've been unable to load it.
>
> Has ANYONE successfully loaded XP on this machine? *Can you please
> tell me how?
>
> Please be detailed, as I can only stumble through projects like
> this!
>
> Is there a better group to post this to?
>
> THANKS!

I also recommend a freeware app to merge the drivers into a new
install disc. nLite has saved my sorry a** many times!
You use the original disc + the needed drivers and burn a new install
disc.
If I can do it...anyone can!

http://www.nliteos.com/

bob

Benjamin Gawert

On 25/06/2010 22:05, * MayI:

> While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
> stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
> nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
> incomplete) description.

It's really simple. You want help, so the least you can do is to show
some appreciation for people taking the time and offering a solution by
providing as much relevant details as possible, because it makes it
easier for readers to help you with your actual problem than wasting
time to guess what went fine and what not. Not providing details is
considered rude, and many people (which may include some who actually
*did* the same what you want to do and therefore don't have to guess
about what may work and what not) just ignore questions with no
background information which at the end of the day means you will miss
out on the help you need.

Saying "I can't load Windows XP" is really not clear what your problem
is, some magical abilities that others seem to have (or believe to have)
aside. It's not even clear that you want to actually install Windows on
the machine, it could as well be that for some reason a previous Windows
installation doesn't boot. And even for installation, gives no hint if
the problem is indeed missing drivers (btw: Windowsxp comes with a lot
of drivers even for servers), or if already fails at booting from the
install media, or if a hardware problem is preventing the installation.
You give no information, so we don't know. Simple as that.

So please, if you expect others to take time to help, the least you can
do is to provide details (what you did and what the problem is, and if
possible the configuration of the server).

Benjamin

Bob Villa

On Jun 25, 4:05*pm, MayI <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks to all for the help ... I will continue to try to get this
> going. *And yes, I did mean 72 GB.
>
> While I am amazed that a request for help from an admitted computer
> stumblebum could be construed by anyone as discourteous, I am
> nonetheless grateful for the direction, notwithstanding my (evidently
> incomplete) description.

This is a common problem with XP SP1...when someone mentions SCSI or
SATA drivers.
I had problems with a LT that needed serial drivers for the DVD drive
so it could load XP (which Ben helped me with).
Not a problem.

bob