How can I read the recovery partition files?

Euc1id

I have a new Compaq Presario S4020WM with Windows XP Home and a recovery
partitiion (d on the hard drive. Attempts to access anything on the
recovery partition have been unsuccessful. Using Windows Explorer, if I
click the d:drive in the lefthand pane, it lists the files/folders OK in the
righthand pane. That's normal. But that's all it will do! It won't allow
anything more. Individual files/folders can't be read or expanded further.
If I attempt to read the contents of a particular file or folder, it brings
up the following message:

COMPAQ
Recovery Partition
Warning!
This area of your hard disk
(or partition) contains files used
for your system recovery.
Do not delete or alter these files.
Any change to this partition could
prevent any recovery later.

Does anyone know a way to gain access to those files?

Mainly I just need to read them, at this point. Possibly I would want to
modify them too. The reason is that I need to investigate a report from a
trojan scanner that I may have a trojan on the recovery partition. But
without the ability to read items on that partition, I can't investigate it.
--
Euc1id

Jeff Orum

"Euc1id" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ciXhb.7461
> Does anyone know a way to gain access to those files?

Have you tried opening up a command windows (DOS like) or booting the
system into Safe Mode with command prompt. I find if I do this I can
cd to the D: directory and navigate my way around looking at files.

I think this behavior is controlled by the desktop.ini file that is in
the root directory on D:\. I'm no expert on this, but there are a few
articles on the Microsoft Support site that take about this.