Can these possibly work ?

Eric Parker

Although not specifically Dell related.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110757458567
These devices claim to convert from DVI-D to VGA.
Looking at the connector, pins C1, C2, C3, C4 are missing.
So if I understand DVI & VGA correctly this device would have to have D2A
converters in it.

Any thoughts ?

Eric

dg1261

I've tried them and they seem to work okay, but I haven't done any
qualitative testing.

Many video card manufacturers toss one of these in the box when you buy a
video card with DVI output, so they must be satisfactory enough for the
manufacturers.

Christopher Muto

On 10/27/2011 12:59 PM, Eric Parker wrote:
> Although not specifically Dell related.
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/110757458567
> These devices claim to convert from DVI-D to VGA.
> Looking at the connector, pins C1, C2, C3, C4 are missing.
> So if I understand DVI& VGA correctly this device would have to have D2A
> converters in it.
>
> Any thoughts ?
>
> Eric

there are 24+1 connectors that are also called dvi-d (digital only) and
ones that are 24+5 that are called dvi-i (integrated, digital and
analog). and there are dvi 24+1 and dvi 24+5 to vga adapters. weather
or not it will work for you depends on the video card. like you noted,
without the c1, c2, c3, c4 there is not analog signal. but even with
them on the connector on the video card is no guarantee that the card is
actually putting out a signal on those pins.
having said that, i used the 24+5 adapters on dell supplied ati radeon
x300se video cards for dual analog monitors on scores of systems (the
card had one vga and one dvi-i and the adapter was put on the dvi-i for
dual vga monitors).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Eric Parker

"dg1261" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9F8B803E734DdgREMOVETHIS1261csco@88.198.24 4.100...
> I've tried them and they seem to work okay, but I haven't done any
> qualitative testing.
>
> Many video card manufacturers toss one of these in the box when you buy a
> video card with DVI output, so they must be satisfactory enough for the
> manufacturers.

Thanks for the response.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.
The adapter does not have the pins to pick up the analog signal from the
graphics card but claims to drive VGA.
So the only way I can see this working is if there is digital to analog
hardware in the adapter.

Eric

Eric Parker

"Christopher Muto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> On 10/27/2011 12:59 PM, Eric Parker wrote:
>> Although not specifically Dell related.
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/110757458567
>> These devices claim to convert from DVI-D to VGA.
>> Looking at the connector, pins C1, C2, C3, C4 are missing.
>> So if I understand DVI& VGA correctly this device would have to have D2A
>> converters in it.
>>
>> Any thoughts ?
>>
>> Eric
>>

> there are 24+1 connectors that are also called dvi-d (digital only) and
> ones that are 24+5 that are called dvi-i (integrated, digital and analog).
> and there are dvi 24+1 and dvi 24+5 to vga adapters. weather or not it
> will work for you depends on the video card. like you noted, without the
> c1, c2, c3, c4 there is not analog signal. but even with them on the
> connector on the video card is no guarantee that the card is actually
> putting out a signal on those pins.
> having said that, i used the 24+5 adapters on dell supplied ati radeon
> x300se video cards for dual analog monitors on scores of systems (the card
> had one vga and one dvi-i and the adapter was put on the dvi-i for dual
> vga monitors).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Thanks for that Christopher.
Yes, I've a couple of DVI-I to VGA adapters but DVI-D to VGA just seems so
unlikely.

Eric

How much are these worth, or rather, how much would you pay for these laptops? bookshi Laptops 2 08-14-2006 11:16 PM
overheating possibly leading to short circuit? kaiser Abit 11 01-03-2006 03:07 AM
Possibly power supply mismatch Edward Diener No Spam Abit 4 12-20-2005 01:43 AM
Possibly Dead P4S8X? JPeterman Asus 6 08-15-2004 02:28 PM
Re: A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 : Possibly the worst onboard sound on any motherboard ever. Nero Asus 0 12-14-2003 01:56 PM