Can I use a generic CPU fan to replace in a Dell Optilex GX260 computer?

ANTant@zimage.com

Can I use a generic CPU fan to replace in a Dell Optilex GX260 computer?
Thank you in advance.
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

ANTant@zimage.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Can I use a generic CPU fan to replace in a Dell Optilex GX260 computer?
> Thank you in advance.

I meant to spell OptiPlex correctly. I found this:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...sr.htm#1106735
for Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis computer. It looks like Dell's design?
--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

Christopher Muto

the optiplex gx260 has a fan-less heatsink that relies on a plastic shroud
and case fan to provide airflow over the processor heat sink. you can reuse
this heat sink and shroud on a replacement processor and maintain the same
level of cooling and noise or you can remove the shroud and heatsink and
install your own combination heatsink with integrated fan (but this will
likely add noise to the system).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I use a generic CPU fan to replace in a Dell Optilex GX260 computer?
> Thank you in advance.
> --
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )

ANTant@zimage.com

Hmm, how come I got a few fan errors in BIOS a few weeks ago? The
machine still works, but I think the fan is going to die sooner or later.
I had to clear the event log in CMOS to remove the recorded errors.

I think I forgot to mention this:
Dell OptiPlex GX260 Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis computer with a Intel
P4 CPU fan.

--
"Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
"Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

Ben Myers

How about blasting the fan with compressed air to clean out all the dust? Same
with the fan inside the power supply. If that fails, look up the part number of
the fan assembly, call Dell (tel: 1800-357-3355) and order a replacement. Dell
is quite reasonable in price for its non-electronic replacement parts.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:26:50 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hmm, how come I got a few fan errors in BIOS a few weeks ago? The
>machine still works, but I think the fan is going to die sooner or later.
>I had to clear the event log in CMOS to remove the recorded errors.
>
>I think I forgot to mention this:
>Dell OptiPlex GX260 Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis computer with a Intel
>P4 CPU fan.
>

>Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> the optiplex gx260 has a fan-less heatsink that relies on a plastic shroud
>> and case fan to provide airflow over the processor heat sink. you can reuse
>> this heat sink and shroud on a replacement processor and maintain the same
>> level of cooling and noise or you can remove the shroud and heatsink and
>> install your own combination heatsink with integrated fan (but this will
>> likely add noise to the system).

>> > Can I use a generic CPU fan to replace in a Dell Optilex GX260 computer?
>> > Thank you in advance.

>--
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
>| |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )

Christopher Muto

ask a bad question, get a bad answer....
the sff has a unique chassis with a unique blower fan. sounds like you need
a replacement. call dell. i would not recommend using an alternate type of
heatsink/fan configuration in the sff chassis.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm, how come I got a few fan errors in BIOS a few weeks ago? The
> machine still works, but I think the fan is going to die sooner or later.
> I had to clear the event log in CMOS to remove the recorded errors.
>
> I think I forgot to mention this:
> Dell OptiPlex GX260 Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis computer with a Intel
> P4 CPU fan.
>

> Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > the optiplex gx260 has a fan-less heatsink that relies on a plastic

shroud
> > and case fan to provide airflow over the processor heat sink. you can

reuse
> > this heat sink and shroud on a replacement processor and maintain the

same
> > level of cooling and noise or you can remove the shroud and heatsink and
> > install your own combination heatsink with integrated fan (but this will
> > likely add noise to the system).

> > > Can I use a generic CPU fan to replace in a Dell Optilex GX260

computer?
> > > Thank you in advance.

> --
> "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
> subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,
> "Transmutate" in Transformers (Beast Wars)
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)NT or (E-Mail Removed)
> \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
> ( )

ANTant@zimage.com

Well, I was hoping to avoid Dell. If that is the case due to proprietary
fan, then I guess it has to be.