Can you tell me what unknown device Windows XP has found? ISA PnPsoundblaster 16

Drydem

After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
delete this unknown device from the device manager
Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?

microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

allswat

Drydem wrote:
> After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
> Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
> to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
> board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
> has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
> card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
> installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
> XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
> ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
> and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
> wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
> DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
> says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
> device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
> have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
> and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
> card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
> Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
> delete this unknown device from the device manager
> Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
> Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?
>
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Windows 98 detected three separate devices associated with
my SB AWE64 card:

Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio
Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI
Creative Gameport Joystick

I think the ISA SB 16 had something called Creative Wave/Synth
that it used instead of the AWE64 Wavetable MIDI. And it also
listed the joystick port separately. You say you've installed
the sound and midi driver. Could it be the "Gameport Joystick"
driver that is missing?

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Does that sound card have a port for connecting a joystick or
other game controller? That could be what WinXP is detecting?

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"Drydem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
> Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
> to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
> board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
> has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
> card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
> installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
> XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
> ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
> and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
> wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
> DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
> says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
> device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
> have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
> and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
> card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
> Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
> delete this unknown device from the device manager
> Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
> Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?
>
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Tod

I would download and install the latest drivers from Creative Labs.

allswat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<XVOfb.29288$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
> Drydem wrote:
> > After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
> > Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
> > to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
> > board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
> > has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
> > card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
> > installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
> > XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
> > ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
> > and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
> > wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
> > DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
> > says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
> > device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
> > have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
> > and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
> > card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
> > Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
> > delete this unknown device from the device manager
> > Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
> > Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?
> >
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

> Windows 98 detected three separate devices associated with
> my SB AWE64 card:
>
> Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio
> Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI
> Creative Gameport Joystick
>
> I think the ISA SB 16 had something called Creative Wave/Synth
> that it used instead of the AWE64 Wavetable MIDI. And it also
> listed the joystick port separately. You say you've installed
> the sound and midi driver. Could it be the "Gameport Joystick"
> driver that is missing?

no.
Windows XP Pro detected the following devices
on this legacy the SB16 Pnp card. The device
manager found no conflict with the following
devices.

1. Creative Sound Blaster 16 PNP (WDM)=
+Audio Device = SB16 pnp
+Midi device and instruments = WDM device
irq7,dma3,dma6,ports 0280-028f,0330-0331,0388-08B
2. GamePort for Creative
ports 0200-0207
3. Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller
irq10, ports 0168-016F, 036E-036F

Drydem

Windows XP Pro successfully detected the following devices
which belong to this SB16 Pnp card.

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Greetings --
>
> Does that sound card have a port for connecting a joystick or
> other game controller? That could be what WinXP is detecting?
>

> Bruce Chambers
>
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. -- RAH
>

> "Drydem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
> > Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
> > to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
> > board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
> > has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
> > card installed. During installation, Windows XP correctly
> > installed the soundblaster 16 audio and midi driver. Windows
> > XP also seems to have found the CT2940 IDE controller
> > ( setting it without any i/o conflicts using ports 0168-016f
> > and 013E-013f, IRQ 10 ). Windows media Player appears to play
> > wma and mid files correctly. The system also passed the
> > DirectX8 music and sound tests. The Creative Labs website
> > says that Windows XP comes prepackaged with all the
> > device drivers for the Soundblaster 16(CT2940). I also
> > have two PCI cards installed (a Realtek fastethernet NIC
> > and a US Robotics 56k internal modem) plus a S3 AGP video
> > card. I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown device
> > Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
> > delete this unknown device from the device manager
> > Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
> > Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?
> >
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev
> > microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Ross Ridge

Drydem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
>Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
>to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
>board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
>has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
>card installed. ... I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown
>device Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
>delete this unknown device from the device manager
>Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
>Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?

Try following the advice in the following Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com:80/supp.../q304/5/14.asp

See if doing that gives you more information about the device, in
particular if it gives an id like "*PNP1234" or "*CTL4321".

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] (E-Mail Removed)

Drydem

(E-Mail Removed) (Ross Ridge) wrote in message news:<blttfo$2ck$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Drydem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >After installing Windows XP on an computer system the Device
> >Manager found an unknown device on the Intel 83271AB/EB PCI
> >to ISA bridge (ISA mode). The system uses an Abit BX6r2 mother
> >board and has only 2 ISA slots. The only ISA slot being used
> >has a Creative Labs/Vibra CT2940 PnP ISA soundblaster 16
> >card installed. ... I am at a lost as to what kind of unknown
> >device Windows XP thinks it has found on the ISA bus. If I
> >delete this unknown device from the device manager
> >Windows XP will find it again when it reboots.
> >Can you tell me what Windows XP has found is?

> Try following the advice in the following Microsoft KB article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com:80/supp.../q304/5/14.asp
>
> See if doing that gives you more information about the device, in
> particular if it gives an id like "*PNP1234" or "*CTL4321".
>
> Ross Ridge

Selecting DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1 does generate a details folder
which tells me this about the unknown device

Device Instance Id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002\10035127
Hardware id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002*PNPffff
Matching Device id = *pnpffff
enumerator = ISAPNP
capabilities = CM_DEVCAP_UNIQUEID
devnode flags = DN_Disable
DN_NT_enumerator
DN_NT_DRIVER
current Power state = D3
Power Capabilities = PDCAP_D0_SUPPORTED
PDCAP_D3_SUPPORTED
Power State Mapping = S0 -> D0
S1 -> D3
S2 -> D3
S3 -> D3
S4 -> D4
S5 -> D5

The rest of the fields in the detail folder are blank.
Is this of any help? %|

I forgot to mention that this computer previously had
a ISA PNP AWE64 value card in the same slot that the
current ISA PNP SB16 card is in now. The AWE64 was
picking up spurious noise and was replaced by the
SB16. After the said SB16 was installed, Windows XP had
to be reinstalled with the current SB16 due to a
problem with the Windows XP ability to talk to the
IDE HD controllers. I've just did a Windows Update.
I've installed all the security patches - And I've
done quite a few updates/fixes too.

Ross Ridge

Drydem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hardware id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002*PNPffff

Breaking this down:

ISAPNP: it's an ISA PnP device
CTL0024: it's an SB16
DEV0002: it's the third function of the SB16
*PNPffff: it's compatable with the "Reserved" device

Basically, your SB16 is telling Windows XP that it's a multi-function
device and one of those functions is compatable with the hardware that
corresponds to PNPffff "Reserved" device id, and so should the same
driver it would use with the compatible hardware. However, the PNPffff
device id is reserved by Microsoft, has no meaning, and there's no kind
of hardware that corresponds to it. So not suprisingly Windows XP isn't
able to find a suitable driver for it.

In other words, this unknown device is your SB16. It shows up because of
something dumb Creative did, and is both completely useless and harmless.
You can just ignore it.

Ross Ridge

--

(E-Mail Removed) (Ross Ridge) wrote in message news:<bm35tc$e6r$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Drydem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hardware id = ISAPNP\CTL0024_DEV0002*PNPffff

> Breaking this down:
>
> ISAPNP: it's an ISA PnP device
> CTL0024: it's an SB16
> DEV0002: it's the third function of the SB16
> *PNPffff: it's compatable with the "Reserved" device
>
> Basically, your SB16 is telling Windows XP that it's a multi-function
> device and one of those functions is compatable with the hardware that
> corresponds to PNPffff "Reserved" device id, and so should the same
> driver it would use with the compatible hardware. However, the PNPffff
> device id is reserved by Microsoft, has no meaning, and there's no kind
> of hardware that corresponds to it. So not suprisingly Windows XP isn't
> able to find a suitable driver for it.
>
> In other words, this unknown device is your SB16. It shows up because of
> something dumb Creative did, and is both completely useless and harmless.
> You can just ignore it.
>
> Ross Ridge

ISA bus functionality (SY-P4I 845PE ISA) Soyo Man Soyo 7 03-04-2004 05:00 PM
Device manager Unknown Device & PCI Device (yellow warning) Alora Duncan Intel 1 02-02-2004 05:52 PM
ISA problem with 845PE ISA Gerald Soyo 0 11-24-2003 04:32 PM
Re: unknown device in device manager Alan Asus 1 07-31-2003 07:50 AM
Cannot fit ISA card into ISA slot Peter C Dell 0 07-25-2003 07:48 PM