Cannot connect my tv to nvidia Geforce 8800 GT card

Jerry Manner

Hi

I have a new system ( windows Vista) with Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
graphics card. The card has a tv-out to connect my tv to the pc. If I
look into the software of nvidia I cannot find anything to switch on
the tv mode or whatsoever. I have searched the forums at nvidia itself
but no clear reason for this.

Has anyone experience the same and solve this problem?

I have a Windows Vista 32 bit system which I want to connect to a
'regular' tv. From my pc I am using a s-video cable which is connected
to a coax cable. This cable is connected to the video input on my tv.
This setup has worked perfectly with my previous pc.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

JLC

"Jerry Manner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a new system ( windows Vista) with Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
> graphics card. The card has a tv-out to connect my tv to the pc. If I
> look into the software of nvidia I cannot find anything to switch on
> the tv mode or whatsoever. I have searched the forums at nvidia itself
> but no clear reason for this.
>
> Has anyone experience the same and solve this problem?
>
> I have a Windows Vista 32 bit system which I want to connect to a
> 'regular' tv. From my pc I am using a s-video cable which is connected
> to a coax cable. This cable is connected to the video input on my tv.
> This setup has worked perfectly with my previous pc.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Regards

A few months ago a person posted the same problem you are having. It's the
coax cable that is problem. Does your TV not have a s-video input? Or is it
because you think you can't use an s-video cable for a long run? I advised
him to try just using the s-video cable and it worked. You can buy long
s-video cables very cheap online. Here's where I buy all my cables and I've
never been disappointed. http://www.buyextras.com Also make sure your TV is
on and set to the right input before you turn on your PC, that helps. I also
use a very handy program called "TV Tool" this program is much easer to use
than Nvidia control panel. Good Luck, JLC

Jerry Manner

On 27 feb, 02:25, "JLC" <jc@nospam> wrote:
> "Jerry Manner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi

> > I have a new system ( windows Vista) with Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
> > graphics card. The card has a tv-out to connect my tv to the pc. If I
> > look into the software of nvidia I cannot find anything to switch on
> > the tv mode or whatsoever. I have searched the forums at nvidia itself
> > but no clear reason for this.

> > Has anyone experience the same and solve this problem?

> > I have a Windows Vista 32 bit system which I want to connect to a
> > 'regular' tv. From my pc I am using a s-video cable which is connected
> > to a coax cable. This cable is connected to the video input on my tv.
> > This setup has worked perfectly with my previous pc.

> > Any help will be appreciated.

> > Regards

> A few months ago a person posted the same problem you are having. It's the
> coax cable that is problem. Does your TV not have a s-video input? Or is it
> because you think you can't use an s-video cable for a long run? I advised
> him to try just using the s-video cable and it worked. You can buy long
> s-video cables very cheap online. Here's where I buy all my cables and I've
> never been disappointed.http://www.buyextras.com*Also make sure your TV is
> on and set to the right input before you turn on your PC, that helps. I also
> use a very handy program called "TV Tool" this program is much easer to use
> than Nvidia control panel. Good Luck, JLC- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Hi

Thank you for responding.

Is the coax cable also the reason why I don't see the option in the
nvidia software to clone the tv or enable tv mode? The tv has a video
input, it does not say s-video input. The input on the tv does not
have a 4 pin plug like the s-video input on my pc. Does that matter?
Could the problem also be that I have Windows Vista?

I was under the assumption that this setup should work, because my
previous pc also had a s-video input and I used the same cable ( pc --
> s-video cable --> coax cable -- tv) to connect to my tv and that

worked perfectly.

Regards

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 27 feb, 02:25, "JLC" <jc@nospam> wrote:
>> "Jerry Manner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> > Hi

>> > I have a new system ( windows Vista) with Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
>> > graphics card. The card has a tv-out to connect my tv to the pc. If I
>> > look into the software of nvidia I cannot find anything to switch on
>> > the tv mode or whatsoever. I have searched the forums at nvidia itself
>> > but no clear reason for this.

>> > Has anyone experience the same and solve this problem?

>> > I have a Windows Vista 32 bit system which I want to connect to a
>> > 'regular' tv. From my pc I am using a s-video cable which is connected
>> > to a coax cable. This cable is connected to the video input on my tv.
>> > This setup has worked perfectly with my previous pc.

>> > Any help will be appreciated.

>> > Regards

>> A few months ago a person posted the same problem you are having. It's the=

>> coax cable that is problem. Does your TV not have a s-video input? Or is i=

>> because you think you can't use an s-video cable for a long run? I advised=

>> him to try just using the s-video cable and it worked. You can buy long
>> s-video cables very cheap online. Here's where I buy all my cables and I'v=

>> never been disappointed.http://www.buyextras.com=A0Also make sure your TV =

>is
>> on and set to the right input before you turn on your PC, that helps. I al=

>so
>> use a very handy program called "TV Tool" this program is much easer to us=

>> than Nvidia control panel. Good Luck, JLC- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk berich=

>t niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

>Hi
>
>Thank you for responding.
>
>Is the coax cable also the reason why I don't see the option in the
>nvidia software to clone the tv or enable tv mode? The tv has a video
>input, it does not say s-video input. The input on the tv does not
>have a 4 pin plug like the s-video input on my pc. Does that matter?
>Could the problem also be that I have Windows Vista?
>
>I was under the assumption that this setup should work, because my
>previous pc also had a s-video input and I used the same cable ( pc --
>> s-video cable --> coax cable -- tv) to connect to my tv and that

>worked perfectly.
>
>Regards

By coax do you mean that you are using an s-video to composite converter and
then running that to the TV? There should be a place in the control panel of
the Nvidia card that allows you to force TV detection.

Even though a composite cable is considered a coaxial type cable, its not what
most people consider coax, most here consider coax as the black 75ohm RF cable
that is uses for cable tv or antenna hookups.

Jerry Manner

On 27 feb, 16:14, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >On 27 feb, 02:25, "JLC" <jc@nospam> wrote:
> >> "Jerry Manner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> A few months ago a person posted the same problem you are having. It's the=

> >> coax cable that is problem. Does your TV not have a s-video input? Or is i=

> >> because you think you can't use an s-video cable for a long run? I advised=

> >> him to try just using the s-video cable and it worked. You can buy long
> >> s-video cables very cheap online. Here's where I buy all my cables and I'v=

> >> never been disappointed.http://www.buyextras.com=A0Alsomake sure yourTV =

> >is
> >> on and set to the right input before you turn on your PC, that helps. Ial=

> >so
> >> use a very handy program called "TV Tool" this program is much easer tous=

> >> than Nvidia control panel. Good Luck, JLC- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk berich=

> >t niet weergeven -

> >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> >Hi

> >Thank you for responding.

> >Is the coax cable also the reason why I don't see the option in the
> >nvidia software to clone the tv or enable tv mode? The tv has a video
> >input, it does not say s-video input. The input on the tv does not
> >have a 4 pin plug like the s-video input on my pc. Does that matter?
> >Could the problem also be that I have Windows Vista?

> >I was under the assumption that this setup should work, because my
> >previous pc also had a s-video input and I used the same cable ( *pc --
> >> s-video cable --> coax cable -- tv) to connect to my tv and that

> >worked perfectly.

> >Regards

> By coax do you mean that you are using an s-video to composite converter *and
> then running that to the TV? There should be a place in the control panel of
> the Nvidia card that allows you to force TV detection.
>
> Even though a composite cable is considered a coaxial type cable, its not what
> most people consider coax, most here consider coax as the black 75ohm RF cable
> that is uses for cable tv or antenna hookups.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Hi

From the video card on the pc I have a s-video small cable( 4 pin, 2
feet) that is connected to a long coax cable (about 20 feet). This
coax cable is connected to the video input on the tv.

In the control panel of the tv I dont see any partthat allows me to
force tv detection. That is the weird thing. Someone told me that when
I connect the s-video to the pc I should hear a sound ( meaning that
the pc has recognized the cable).

I live in the Netherlands and don't know if there is a different
between a coax cable here or where you come from. On the cable is
written coaxial cable rg-59u of bandridge.

Hope you can help me out

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 27 feb, 16:14, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed).=

>com>, Jerry Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the=3D

>s i=3D

>sed=3D

>I'v=3D

> TV =3D
>> >is

> al=3D
>> >so

> us=3D

>ich=3D
>> >t niet weergeven -

>> >Hi

>> >Thank you for responding.

>> >Is the coax cable also the reason why I don't see the option in the
>> >nvidia software to clone the tv or enable tv mode? The tv has a video
>> >input, it does not say s-video input. The input on the tv does not
>> >have a 4 pin plug like the s-video input on my pc. Does that matter?
>> >Could the problem also be that I have Windows Vista?

>> >I was under the assumption that this setup should work, because my
>> >previous pc also had a s-video input and I used the same cable ( =A0pc --=

>> >worked perfectly.

>> >Regards

>> By coax do you mean that you are using an s-video to composite converter =

>=A0and
>> then running that to the TV? There should be a place in the control panel =

>of
>> the Nvidia card that allows you to force TV detection.
>>
>> Even though a composite cable is considered a coaxial type cable, its not =

>what
>> most people consider coax, most here consider coax as the black 75ohm RF c=

>able
>> that is uses for cable tv or antenna hookups.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk be=

>richt niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

>Hi
>
>=46rom the video card on the pc I have a s-video small cable( 4 pin, 2
>feet) that is connected to a long coax cable (about 20 feet). This
>coax cable is connected to the video input on the tv.
>
>In the control panel of the tv I dont see any partthat allows me to
>force tv detection. That is the weird thing. Someone told me that when
>I connect the s-video to the pc I should hear a sound ( meaning that
>the pc has recognized the cable).
>
>I live in the Netherlands and don't know if there is a different
>between a coax cable here or where you come from. On the cable is
>written coaxial cable rg-59u of bandridge.
>
>Hope you can help me out

How are you hooking the RG59U cable to the svideo cable? via some sort of RF
modulator?

RG59U cable is for antennas and cable TV hookups. It is not for baseband video
like composite or s-video is.

So i am ASSuming that you are hooking it up into the TV where your antenna
would hookup?

Jerry Manner

On 27 feb, 19:15, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >On 27 feb, 16:14, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

> >the=3D

> >s i=3D

> >sed=3D

> >I'v=3D

> > TV =3D

> > al=3D

> > us=3D

> >ich=3D

> >> By coax do you mean that you are using an s-video to composite converter =

> >=A0and
> >> then running that to the TV? There should be a place in the control panel =

> >of
> >> the Nvidia card that allows you to force TV detection.

> >> Even though a composite cable is considered a coaxial type cable, its not =

> >what
> >> most people consider coax, most here consider coax as the black 75ohm RF c=

> >able
> >> that is uses for cable tv or antenna hookups.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijkbe=

> >richt niet weergeven -

> >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> >Hi

> >=46rom the video card on the pc I have a s-video small cable( 4 pin, 2
> >feet) that is connected to a long coax cable (about 20 feet). This
> >coax cable is connected to the video input on the tv.

> >In the control panel of the tv I dont see any partthat allows me to
> >force tv detection. That is the weird thing. Someone told me that when
> >I connect the s-video to the pc I should hear a sound ( meaning that
> >the pc has recognized the cable).

> >I live in the Netherlands and don't know if there is a different
> >between a coax cable here or where you come from. On the cable is
> >written coaxial cable rg-59u of bandridge.

> >Hope you can help me out

> How are you hooking the RG59U cable to the svideo cable? via some sort of RF
> modulator?
>
> RG59U cable is for antennas and cable TV hookups. It is not for baseband video
> like composite or s-video is.
>
> So i am ASSuming that you are hooking it up into the TV where your antenna
> would hookup? *- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Hi

I am hooking the rg59u cable to the svideo cable through a small
connector ( about 2,5 inches) on both side of this connector the
svideo and coax cable is hooked

The rg59u cable is connected to the video input channel on the tv on
the frontside of the tv. The antenna (like you call it is allways
connected to the tv on the backside. The antenna cable has a different
connector then the coax cablecable.

So I am talking about 2 different cables. The caox cable is not the
antenna I am using for the tv.

By the way this cable I have used with my previous pc to connect to my
> [...]

>> like composite or s-video is.
>>
>> So i am ASSuming that you are hooking it up into the TV where your antenna=

>> would hookup? =A0- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

>Hi
>
>I am hooking the rg59u cable to the svideo cable through a small
>connector ( about 2,5 inches) on both side of this connector the
>svideo and coax cable is hooked
>
>The rg59u cable is connected to the video input channel on the tv on
>the frontside of the tv. The antenna (like you call it is allways
>connected to the tv on the backside. The antenna cable has a different
>connector then the coax cablecable.
>
>So I am talking about 2 different cables. The caox cable is not the
>antenna I am using for the tv.
>
>By the way this cable I have used with my previous pc to connect to my

OK, sounds like you are using an s-video to composite converter and using a
composite cable with rca type jacks on the ends. Click on the NVIDIA settings
icon on the bottom taskbar, then NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL then choose SETUP
MULTIPLE DISPLAYS. If the TV is still not being detected you can force it to
detect display.

Jerry Manner

On 27 feb, 23:01, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >On 27 feb, 19:15, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:

> >ps.=3D

> >....=3D

> >f I=3D

> >on

> >sel=3D

> >cte=3D

> >tv.=3D

> >'s =3D

> >r i=3D

> >dvi=3D

> >ong=3D

> >nd =3D

> >your=3D

> >.. I=3D

> > to=3D

> >ber=3D

> >pc --=3D

> >r =3D

> >el =3D

> >ot =3D

> >F c=3D

> > be=3D

> >> How are you hooking the RG59U cable to the svideo cable? via some sort of =

> >RF
> >> modulator?

> >> RG59U cable is for antennas and cable TV hookups. It is not for baseband v=

> >ideo
> >> like composite or s-video is.

> >> So i am ASSuming that you are hooking it up into the TV where your antenna=

> >> would hookup? =A0- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

> >> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> >Hi

> >I am hooking the rg59u cable to the svideo cable through a small
> >connector ( about 2,5 inches) on both side of this connector the
> >svideo and coax cable is hooked

> >The rg59u cable is connected to the video input channel on the tv on
> >the frontside of the tv. The antenna (like you call it is allways
> >connected to the tv on the backside. The antenna cable has a different
> >connector then the coax cablecable.

> >So I am talking about 2 different cables. The caox cable is not the
> >antenna I am using for the tv.

> >By the way this cable I have used with my previous pc to connect to my
> >tv and that worked perfectly.

> OK, sounds like you are using an s-video to composite converter and using a
> composite cable with rca type jacks on the ends. Click on the NVIDIA settings
> icon on the bottom taskbar, then NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL then choose SETUP
> MULTIPLE DISPLAYS. If the TV is still not being detected you can force it to
> detect display.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Hi

That is the main problem. The part to force tv detection is greyed
out. I cannot use it. It seems like I don't have any cables connected
from the pc to the tv set.

PhxGrunge

"Jerry Manner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27 feb, 23:01, (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote:
>> In article
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jerry
>> Manner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >ps.=3D

>> >....=3D

>> >f I=3D

>> >on
>> >sel=3D

>> >cte=3D
>> >tv.=3D

>> >'s =3D

>> >r i=3D
>> >dvi=3D

>> >ong=3D

>> >nd =3D
>> >your=3D
>> >.. I=3D
>> > to=3D
>> >ber=3D

>> >pc --=3D

>> >r =3D
>> >el =3D

>> >ot =3D
>> >F c=3D
>> > be=3D

>> >RF

>> >ideo

>> >Hi

>> >I am hooking the rg59u cable to the svideo cable through a small
>> >connector ( about 2,5 inches) on both side of this connector the
>> >svideo and coax cable is hooked

>> >The rg59u cable is connected to the video input channel on the tv on
>> >the frontside of the tv. The antenna (like you call it is allways
>> >connected to the tv on the backside. The antenna cable has a different
>> >connector then the coax cablecable.

>> >So I am talking about 2 different cables. The caox cable is not the
>> >antenna I am using for the tv.

>> >By the way this cable I have used with my previous pc to connect to my
>> >tv and that worked perfectly.

>> OK, sounds like you are using an s-video to composite converter and using
>> composite cable with rca type jacks on the ends. Click on the NVIDIA
>> settings
>> icon on the bottom taskbar, then NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL then choose SETUP
>> MULTIPLE DISPLAYS. If the TV is still not being detected you can force it
>> detect display.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -
>>
>> - Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

> Hi
>
> That is the main problem. The part to force tv detection is greyed
> out. I cannot use it. It seems like I don't have any cables connected
> from the pc to the tv set.

The cable from the PC to the TV must be one cable and one cable only - no
adapters allowed.

The video card does not "see" the s-video connection because your inline
adapter is blocking the signal it needs to initialize it. The video card
must "see" the TV connection thru the s-video cable to the TV direct, or you
can connect a composite cable directly from the video card to the TV, then
the video card will detect the TV.

I don't know what signal the video card looks for on the s-video, but I do
know that on composite, the video card looks for a 75 ohm termination from
the TV before it can initialize TV out.