Cannot start a SN25P with 2GB RAM

Cliff Hope

I've just built my first Shuttle SN25P. Everything's fine except that it
will not start with 2GB RAM installed. I have 2 * 1GB sticks of Kingston
RAM (KVR400X64C3AK2/2G - which the Kingston website says is suitable for an
SN25P).

It boots up fine with either stick in either slot. It boots up fine with 2
* 512MB sticks - or with 1 * 1GB stick and 1 * 512MB stick but not with 2 *
1GB sticks. The Shuttle logo appears for about a second and then it
reboots. I cannot get into the BIOS setup screen.

I've also tried replacing the Kingston RAM with V-DATA RAM from my Abit
AN8-Ultra and with some dubious Elpida 2700 RAM I bought on ebay that works
in an MSI Hermes. Behavior is exactly the same - works fine with 1GB, won't
start at all on 2GB.

I've tried (with 1 stick in) switching DRAM timings to manual and increasing
the numbers - and also increasing the RAM voltage to 1.7V. Makes no
difference. Web searches indicate there are people who've managed to start
this thing with 2GB RAM. What's the trick?

Thanks.

rich

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 08:56:32 +0000, Cliff Hope wrote:

> I've just built my first Shuttle SN25P. Everything's fine except that it
> will not start with 2GB RAM installed. I have 2 * 1GB sticks of Kingston
> RAM (KVR400X64C3AK2/2G - which the Kingston website says is suitable for
> an SN25P).

> I've tried (with 1 stick in) switching DRAM timings to manual and
> increasing the numbers - and also increasing the RAM voltage to 1.7V.
> Makes no difference. Web searches indicate there are people who've
> managed to start this thing with 2GB RAM. What's the trick?

I have 2 1GB sticks in my sn25p and it works fine. I didn't do anything
special. It sounds like you have a bad box. :-(

rich

You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OS X cannot start up from this volume. stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au Apple 3 04-06-2007 01:11 AM
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) EL DDR PC-4000 / 500MHz / 2GB Gold Edition / Dual Channel Good for AMD system ??/ Paul Mathews Overclocking 7 11-20-2005 01:04 AM
OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) EL DDR PC-4000 / 500MHz / 2GB Gold Edition / Dual Channel Good for AMD system ??/ Paul Mathews AMD Overclocking 3 11-16-2005 04:26 PM
Shuttle SN25P Me Shuttle 3 05-12-2005 02:39 PM
=2GB RAM memory gives errors, <2gb ok , Is there a design flaw withon D865PERL? nobody Intel 12 12-12-2003 04:19 AM