Can't enable second monitor on st20g5 (ATI Xpress 200)

Taylor Brown

I just got an st20g5, and I am using the built in video until I get a
PCI-E video card. (This is an ATI Xpress 200 motherboard with
integrated graphics.) I've installed the latest catalyst drivers from
ATI's website, but when I go into the Catalyst Control Center or
windows display properties and attempt to enable my second screen
("Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"), the primary screen
just flashes, and then the second monitor remains grayed out. I'm no
stranger to Multi-monitor setups, so I know that the second monitor
works and am sure I'm doing it right. I am wondering if it has to do
with the fact that I'm running it through a DVI dongle to a CRT screen?
I've been running that way on my old computer for some time, but it's
about the only thing I can think of. Then again, I should be able to
enable it all day long, whether I have a monitor plugged in or not, and
I get the same results with the second monitor unplugged.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I am a bit concerned that the
onboard video is faulty in some way. Any help or advice would be
greatly appreciated!

- Taylor

Eric Parker

"Taylor Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I just got an st20g5, and I am using the built in video until I get

> PCI-E video card. (This is an ATI Xpress 200 motherboard with
> integrated graphics.) I've installed the latest catalyst drivers

from
> ATI's website, but when I go into the Catalyst Control Center or
> windows display properties and attempt to enable my second screen
> ("Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"), the primary screen
> just flashes, and then the second monitor remains grayed out. I'm

no
> stranger to Multi-monitor setups, so I know that the second monitor
> works and am sure I'm doing it right. I am wondering if it has to

do
> with the fact that I'm running it through a DVI dongle to a CRT

screen?
> I've been running that way on my old computer for some time, but

it's
> about the only thing I can think of. Then again, I should be able

> enable it all day long, whether I have a monitor plugged in or not,

and
> I get the same results with the second monitor unplugged.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this before? I am a bit concerned that the
> onboard video is faulty in some way. Any help or advice would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
> - Taylor

As an experiment - try reducing the resolution of the working screen ?
There may not be enough shared memory or you may be trying to drive
too many pixels.

Eric
--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Taylor Brown

Thanks for the advice Eric. I had a similar thought and tried that to
no avail. I've tried all resolutions and color depths...I've never
seen anything like it. The main screen just flashes and then I'm back
where I started.

sascha.n@gmail.com

hi taylor,

did you try a bios upgrade? at least in version FT20S015 shuttle
mentions: "Updated VGA BIOS to VER008.035I.000". but that could be
related to anything.

hth,
sascha

Taylor Brown

Hi Sashcha - thanks for the reply! I did indeed upgrade the BIOS to no
avail.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I just
heard from ATI's tech support, and they tell me that usually onboard
video cards don't usually allow you to enable both connectors at once.
Not ever having tried to use onboard video much before, I didn't know
that, but it does make some sense. One of the main features of this
board is the fact that it allows you to do "SurroundView" which is the
ability of the onboard video to keep going along with your additional
PCI-E ATI card. They go on to say this allows you to have 3 displays.
I remember thinking, "Why not 4?" 2 on the card + 2 on the motherboard
= 4. But if the onboard never allows you to drive two monitors at
once, this makes some sense. So now I think that second port is there
as an either/or option. The good news is, assuming this is true, that
this means my onboard video isn't broken.

If anyone has evidence of an onboard ATI Xpress 200 being used to drive
two monitors simultaneously though, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers,

Taylor

Eric Parker

"Taylor Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Sashcha - thanks for the reply! I did indeed upgrade the BIOS to

no
> avail.
>
> Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I

just
> heard from ATI's tech support, and they tell me that usually onboard
> video cards don't usually allow you to enable both connectors at

once.
> Not ever having tried to use onboard video much before, I didn't

know
> that, but it does make some sense. One of the main features of this
> board is the fact that it allows you to do "SurroundView" which is

the
> ability of the onboard video to keep going along with your

additional
> PCI-E ATI card. They go on to say this allows you to have 3

displays.
> I remember thinking, "Why not 4?" 2 on the card + 2 on the

motherboard
> = 4. But if the onboard never allows you to drive two monitors at
> once, this makes some sense. So now I think that second port is

there
> as an either/or option. The good news is, assuming this is true,

that
> this means my onboard video isn't broken.
>
> If anyone has evidence of an onboard ATI Xpress 200 being used to

drive
> two monitors simultaneously though, I'd love to hear it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Taylor

From the Shuttle web site :

"Integrated graphics
ATi RADEON XPRESS 200 3D graphics engine
333MHz core clock, supports DirectX 9 and OpenGL
Surroundview Quad Display Support with
additional PCI-E x16 graphics card
shared Memory max. 128MB
supports analog Sub-D and digital DVI output"

Somebody is telling porkies or am I misunderstanding this ?

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Eric Parker

"Taylor Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Sashcha - thanks for the reply! I did indeed upgrade the BIOS to

no
> avail.
>
> Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I

just
> heard from ATI's tech support, and they tell me that usually onboard
> video cards don't usually allow you to enable both connectors at

once.
> Not ever having tried to use onboard video much before, I didn't

know
> that, but it does make some sense. One of the main features of this
> board is the fact that it allows you to do "SurroundView" which is

the
> ability of the onboard video to keep going along with your

additional
> PCI-E ATI card. They go on to say this allows you to have 3

displays.
> I remember thinking, "Why not 4?" 2 on the card + 2 on the

motherboard
> = 4. But if the onboard never allows you to drive two monitors at
> once, this makes some sense. So now I think that second port is

there
> as an either/or option. The good news is, assuming this is true,

that
> this means my onboard video isn't broken.
>
> If anyone has evidence of an onboard ATI Xpress 200 being used to

drive
> two monitors simultaneously though, I'd love to hear it!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Taylor

Taylor

I still believe you can drive 2 displays.
The reason why I'm interested is that I've been suggesting these XPCs
someone who wants dual displays.
If you can't get the help you need here, have you tried
www.sudhian.com ?
http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/fo...wthread/89112/
contains this text
"The built-in video is what separates the ST20G5 from much of its
Shuttle
brethren. What this means in practice is that you can plug in that
high-end
flat-panel monitor (you know, the one that gives a terrible analog
signal)
and start doing real work with the system without having to buy a
separate
video card. The built-in DVI port produces a lovely, clear, crisp
digital
image. An analog VGA interface is also provided; dual-monitor support
(one DVI, one analog) works fine."

If you get this going please let us know how you did it.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

|_ |

Taylor Brown schreef:
> I just got an st20g5, and I am using the built in video until I get a
> PCI-E video card. (This is an ATI Xpress 200 motherboard with
> integrated graphics.) I've installed the latest catalyst drivers from
> ATI's website, but when I go into the Catalyst Control Center or
> windows display properties and attempt to enable my second screen
> ("Extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"), the primary screen
> just flashes, and then the second monitor remains grayed out. I'm no
> stranger to Multi-monitor setups, so I know that the second monitor
> works and am sure I'm doing it right. I am wondering if it has to do
> with the fact that I'm running it through a DVI dongle to a CRT screen?
> I've been running that way on my old computer for some time, but it's
> about the only thing I can think of. Then again, I should be able to
> enable it all day long, whether I have a monitor plugged in or not, and
> I get the same results with the second monitor unplugged.
>
> Has anyone ever seen this before? I am a bit concerned that the
> onboard video is faulty in some way. Any help or advice would be
> greatly appreciated!
>
> - Taylor

maybe the DVI output is digital only and doesn't support the analog
signals needed for your CRT.
if you can try this setting using a screen with digital in.

Leo.

sascha.n@gmail.com

Hi Taylor,

I just successfully tested the dual monitor functionality of my ST20G5
with two Samsung 910T. Worked like a charm.

JFTR, that's how I did it:
1. Connected the second monitor with an analog cable
2. Opened the Catalyst Control Center
3. Went to the display manager
4. Detected displays: the second monitor popped up in the disabled
devices field
5. Dragged the second monitor into the secondary display field
6. Chose extend desktop
7. Corrected the device settings (resolution & refresh rate)
8. Applied changes

The second monitor was up-and-running. FYI: I'm using WinXP SP2, the
latest catalyst drivers and CCC.

I agree, you either have a defective onboard video or the DVI dongle
messes everything up. So if there's a TFT screen with digital-in in
your vicinity, go and grab it and try again. If it doesn't work: Blame
Canada! :-)

HTH,
Sascha