Can't find a scanner driver old Mac OS X 10.5.8 with a HP OfficeJet6110 all-in-one machine?

Ant

Hello.

I have a client's old 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008, that has the updated
Mac OS X 10.5.8. His HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine (USB) works
fine for printing, but scanning is a problem. Image Capture v4.0 does
not detect this connected HP OfficeJet 6110 due to lack of TWAIN driver.
I looked for the latest driver on HP.com web site, but it said to use
the one supplied from Mac OS X 10.5 which is already is used as 6100 series.

According to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...79477&sw_lang=
, it says "... Scanning is no longer supported when using Mac OS v10.5
with the following products: ... HP Officejet 6100 series". That stinks.

So, is there a third party driver or a way to use this old HP
OfficeJet's scanner for Mac OS X 10.5.8? I know its scanning works with
his very old Dell Optiplex PC with updated Windows 2000 SP4 with its HP
drivers and software package.

Thank you in advance.
--
"We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette
| |o o| |

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a client's old 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008, that has the updated
> Mac OS X 10.5.8. His HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine (USB) works
> fine for printing, but scanning is a problem. Image Capture v4.0 does
> not detect this connected HP OfficeJet 6110 due to lack of TWAIN driver.
> I looked for the latest driver on HP.com web site, but it said to use
> the one supplied from Mac OS X 10.5 which is already is used as 6100 series.
>
> According to
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...=us&dlc=en&lc=
> en&os=219&product=79477&sw_lang=
> , it says "... Scanning is no longer supported when using Mac OS v10.5
> with the following products: ... HP Officejet 6100 series". That stinks.
>
> So, is there a third party driver or a way to use this old HP
> OfficeJet's scanner for Mac OS X 10.5.8? I know its scanning works with
> his very old Dell Optiplex PC with updated Windows 2000 SP4 with its HP
> drivers and software package.
>
> Thank you in advance.

The most commonly used 3rd-party scanner software is VueScan. They
don't list your printer as supported.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#hp

I did more google search and found a bunch of conflicting articles on
Apple's site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

It does mention that Vuescan works with the 6100. You can download the
software and see if it works.

Alternately, you can setup a 10.4 system and maintain that for scanning
support. The client would have to dedicate a system just for scanning
with this device and it's their call on tossing the thing and buying
something that 'just works' and will continue to 'just work' when they
upgrade to later versions of the OS or keeping this hardware around and
being tied to an unsupported version of the OS.

You got great clients. I gotta tell ya. Everything they have is dead
and ancient crap that no one uses or supports any more. They expect you
to get it working or keep it working.

It's a living, I guess.

Ant

On 4/2/2012 1:26 AM PT, Michael Vilain typed:
> You got great clients. I gotta tell ya. Everything they have is dead
> and ancient crap that no one uses or supports any more. They expect you
> to get it working or keep it working.
>
> It's a living, I guess.

Thanks. One word: $$$. I will try VueScan. The author said it should
work. I have to wait for his reply/response on what version I can use.
The latest? I didn't see its system requirements. We'll see...
--
"An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox." --Mexican Proverb
| |o o| |

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 4/2/2012 1:26 AM PT, Michael Vilain typed:
> > You got great clients. I gotta tell ya. Everything they have is dead
> > and ancient crap that no one uses or supports any more. They expect you
> > to get it working or keep it working.
> >
> > It's a living, I guess.

> Thanks. One word: $$$. I will try VueScan. The author said it should
> work. I have to wait for his reply/response on what version I can use.
> The latest? I didn't see its system requirements. We'll see...

Vuescan ran on my 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, and my current 10.6 system. It's
various versions support most of the versions of MacOS.

Erik Richard Sørensen

Ant wrote:
> I have a client's old 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008, that has the updated
> Mac OS X 10.5.8. His HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine (USB) works
> fine for printing, but scanning is a problem. Image Capture v4.0 does
> not detect this connected HP OfficeJet 6110 due to lack of TWAIN driver.
> I looked for the latest driver on HP.com web site, but it said to use
> the one supplied from Mac OS X 10.5 which is already is used as 6100
> series.
>
> According to
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...79477&sw_lang=
> , it says "... Scanning is no longer supported when using Mac OS v10.5
> with the following products: ... HP Officejet 6100 series". That stinks.
>
> So, is there a third party driver or a way to use this old HP
> OfficeJet's scanner for Mac OS X 10.5.8? I know its scanning works with
> his very old Dell Optiplex PC with updated Windows 2000 SP4 with its HP
> drivers and software package.

You can download all software for the 6110 here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...uct=79477#N185

Install it and run the softwareupdate from the HP scanner app, and it
will tell you, if new versions are available.

Cheers, Erik Richard

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <(E-Mail Removed)>

PhillipJones

Michael Vilain wrote:
> In article<fNOdnRYKBqVGLOTSnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d@earthlink .com>,
> Ant<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 4/2/2012 1:26 AM PT, Michael Vilain typed:
>>> You got great clients. I gotta tell ya. Everything they have is dead
>>> and ancient crap that no one uses or supports any more. They expect you
>>> to get it working or keep it working.
>>>
>>> It's a living, I guess.

>> Thanks. One word: $$$. I will try VueScan. The author said it should
>> work. I have to wait for his reply/response on what version I can use.
>> The latest? I didn't see its system requirements. We'll see...

> Vuescan ran on my 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, and my current 10.6 system. It's
> various versions support most of the versions of MacOS.

One thing you have to look at on HPs is that the scanner and printer
doesn't work at the same time http://www.screencast.com/t/tgRJSvb6K0hE
you have to go to printer/fax in system preferences and switch to the
scanner.

If you can find one a C310 ePrinter by HP works great (it’s a Inkjet
Printer and uses 5 cartridges Photo Blk, Cyan, Magenta, yelow and then
Black for printing Documents.

Ant

On 4/2/2012 11:28 AM PT, Erik Richard Sørensen typed:

>> I have a client's old 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008, that has the updated
>> Mac OS X 10.5.8. His HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine (USB) works
>> fine for printing, but scanning is a problem. Image Capture v4.0 does
>> not detect this connected HP OfficeJet 6110 due to lack of TWAIN
>> driver. I looked for the latest driver on HP.com web site, but it said
>> to use the one supplied from Mac OS X 10.5 which is already is used as
>> 6100 series.
>>
>> According to
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...79477&sw_lang=
>> , it says "... Scanning is no longer supported when using Mac OS v10.5
>> with the following products: ... HP Officejet 6100 series". That
>> stinks.
>>
>> So, is there a third party driver or a way to use this old HP
>> OfficeJet's scanner for Mac OS X 10.5.8? I know its scanning works
>> with his very old Dell Optiplex PC with updated Windows 2000 SP4 with
>> its HP drivers and software package.

> You can download all software for the 6110 here:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...uct=79477#N185
>

> Install it and run the softwareupdate from the HP scanner app, and it
> will tell you, if new versions are available.

"HP All-in-One - Setup Instructions for New Mac OS X v10.5 â–º
2007-11-02 , Version:N/A
Instructions for Mac OS X v10.5 driver install.
More info"

Its "More info" link takes me to
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...79477&sw_lang=
as shown in my original post.
--
"All the best work is done the way that ants do things -- by tiny but
untiring and regular additions." --Lafcadio Hearn

Erik Richard Sørensen

Ant wrote:
> On 4/2/2012 11:28 AM PT, Erik Richard Sørensen typed:
>
>>> I have a client's old 15" MacBook Pro, from 2008, that has the updated
>>> Mac OS X 10.5.8. His HP OfficeJet 6110 all-in-one machine (USB) works
>>> fine for printing, but scanning is a problem. Image Capture v4.0 does
>>> not detect this connected HP OfficeJet 6110 due to lack of TWAIN
>>> driver. I looked for the latest driver on HP.com web site, but it said
>>> to use the one supplied from Mac OS X 10.5 which is already is used as
>>> 6100 series.
>>>
>>> According to
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...79477&sw_lang=
>>>
>>> , it says "... Scanning is no longer supported when using Mac OS v10.5
>>> with the following products: ... HP Officejet 6100 series". That
>>> stinks.
>>>
>>> So, is there a third party driver or a way to use this old HP
>>> OfficeJet's scanner for Mac OS X 10.5.8? I know its scanning works
>>> with his very old Dell Optiplex PC with updated Windows 2000 SP4 with
>>> its HP drivers and software package.

>> You can download all software for the 6110 here:
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...uct=79477#N185
>>
>> Install it and run the softwareupdate from the HP scanner app, and it
>> will tell you, if new versions are available.

> "HP All-in-One - Setup Instructions for New Mac OS X v10.5 â–º
> 2007-11-02 , Version:N/A
> Instructions for Mac OS X v10.5 driver install.
> More info"
>
> Its "More info" link takes me to
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...79477&sw_lang=
> as shown in my original post.

You must use the package for OS X 10.4 and then run the HP
softwareupdate. This is the link to download:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...79477&sw_lang=

Instead of using the HP SU you can find the HP Printer Update you can
download the software from the Apple download site.

HP Printer Driver 1.1.1 (apprx. 355mb)
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL339

When you've installed the ver. 7.9.1 from the HP site, run the
installer from the 'HP Printer Driver 1.1.1' mounted DMG file. The
installer will only install software for already existing printers
and/or 3-in-1 combo machines.

It shall work! I've done this many times on both 10.4.x and 10.5.x
machines with many different HP 3-in-1's.

Cheers, Erik Richard
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <(E-Mail Removed)>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Ant

On 4/3/2012 8:42 AM PT, Erik Richard Sørensen typed:

> You must use the package for OS X 10.4 and then run the HP
> softwareupdate. This is the link to download:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...79477&sw_lang=
>

> Instead of using the HP SU you can find the HP Printer Update you can
> download the software from the Apple download site.
>
> HP Printer Driver 1.1.1 (apprx. 355mb)
> http://support.apple.com/kb/DL339
>
> When you've installed the ver. 7.9.1 from the HP site, run the
> installer from the 'HP Printer Driver 1.1.1' mounted DMG file. The
> installer will only install software for already existing printers
> and/or 3-in-1 combo machines.
>
> It shall work! I've done this many times on both 10.4.x and 10.5.x
> machines with many different HP 3-in-1's.

I will try if VueScan idea fails.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being
torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend