Can't get computer to recognize second hard drive

Collin.KG@gmail.com

I just added a a second hard drive and it wont show up in "my
computer". I can see it in device manager but it just doesn't show up
in "my computer"

The drive I'm trying to add is a maxtor 5T040H4.
I have a Demension 4550 running XP pro SP2.

Any help would be much great.

Fergus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I just added a a second hard drive and it wont show up in "my
> computer". I can see it in device manager but it just doesn't show up
> in "my computer"
>
> The drive I'm trying to add is a maxtor 5T040H4.
> I have a Demension 4550 running XP pro SP2.
>
> Any help would be much great.

is it formatted
does it have a drive letter............give it one.

Collin.KG@gmail.com

On May 4, 1:07 am, "Fergus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> >I just added a a second hard drive and it wont show up in "my
> > computer". I can see it in device manager but it just doesn't show up
> > in "my computer"

> > The drive I'm trying to add is a maxtor 5T040H4.
> > I have a Demension 4550 running XP pro SP2.

> > Any help would be much great.

> is it formatted
> does it have a drive letter............give it one.

last time I used the drive it was ntsf formatted, however it might be
good to reformat it but I dont know how to format it if it doesn't
show up in my computer.
I also dont know how to assign a letter to it.

Robert McMillan

Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Then go to Disk Management
under the Storage heading on the left, selecting a disk will show you the
current partitions and right clicking will give you options to format and
assign drive letters.
HTH
Robert

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

On May 4, 1:16 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 4, 1:07 am, "Fergus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> > >I just added a a second hard drive and it wont show up in "my
> > > computer". I can see it in device manager but it just doesn't show up
> > > in "my computer"

> > > The drive I'm trying to add is a maxtor 5T040H4.
> > > I have a Demension 4550 running XP pro SP2.

> > > Any help would be much great.

> > is it formatted
> > does it have a drive letter............give it one.

> last time I used the drive it was ntsf formatted, however it might be
> good to reformat it but I dont know how to format it if it doesn't
> show up in my computer.
> I also dont know how to assign a letter to it.

Thanks for your help I actually just figured it. just formatted it and
it appears to be working. I google "how to assign a letter to a drive"
and it came up with this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844 which
I followed and got it working.

Junior Member

Hi
What Robert said is quite correct except that there is one more detailwhen doing it this way.
You need to be careful not to convert the wrong drive so take care to avoid the C drive when converting.
Most times it will come up with "drive 1" or similar. When you see that go to the box where it shows it and right click and this will give you the option to name the drive and also the option to format it

Junior Member

[QUOTE=Robert McMillan;799462]Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Then go to Disk Management
under the Storage heading on the left, selecting a disk will show you the
current partitions and right clicking will give you options to format and
assign drive letters.
HTH
Robert

Ty so much for this post, my cousin looked for me to enabled the darn 2nd hdd , this worked for : Asus G72gx Laptop Windows 7 64 bit ....

had to join to say ty.. nothing on Asus site that i've found..

ty again

Junior Member

Hey I also have a dell dimension it RAN on xp home edition but the person i got it from would only give it to me if I removed the hdd and installed it as a second harddrive on her new pc, well I figured that was a good deal, Free pc eh? haha anyway, it worked perfect before but then I put a blank harddrive in when i got home and the bios didn't recognize it... I got two error beeps and message displayed primary drive not found. I am very experienced with computers and I eliminated most possibilities, i know the data cable works, the hard drive spins. On top of all that, i created a linux boot usb drive to boot it .. but now it is incredibly slow being ran off a thumb drive .. i dont know how to find the harddrive still... are there any suggestions?? That would be awesome thanks