Can't get new PC going

m j

Hello,

I just finished putting together a system with a Chaintech VNF3-250 mb
and tried to power it on and here is what
happened. The fan on the back of my Antec
3000b case started spinning, the fan on the Zalman
cooler started spinning and I could start to smell
something slightly burning (silicon paste on amd 64?). Then after a
about 15 seconds everything shut down.

I have a new seasonic tornado 300 PSU so I started cycling the on off
switch and a funny thing happened after I hit the front on button. The
fans
spun up for about two seconds and then just quit. I can repeat this too
but only if I turn the PSU unit off then on again, then hit the front
on button.
Power to my drives don't seem to work. And the tornado fan
isn't moving. I thought I was very careful to do everything
right. Any ideas? At first I didn't have my 4 pin power to the MB
plugged in but that didn't seem to make a difference when I did. BTW,
do I need to plug this
4 pin power cable into the board?

Appreciate it.

Mike

Ed

On 3 Feb 2005 11:38:41 -0800, "m j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just finished putting together a system with a Chaintech VNF3-250 mb
>and tried to power it on and here is what
>happened. The fan on the back of my Antec
>3000b case started spinning, the fan on the Zalman
>cooler started spinning and I could start to smell
>something slightly burning (silicon paste on amd 64?). Then after a
>about 15 seconds everything shut down.
>
>I have a new seasonic tornado 300 PSU so I started cycling the on off
>switch and a funny thing happened after I hit the front on button. The
>fans
>spun up for about two seconds and then just quit. I can repeat this too
>but only if I turn the PSU unit off then on again, then hit the front
>on button.
>Power to my drives don't seem to work. And the tornado fan
>isn't moving. I thought I was very careful to do everything
>right. Any ideas? At first I didn't have my 4 pin power to the MB
>plugged in but that didn't seem to make a difference when I did. BTW,
>do I need to plug this
>4 pin power cable into the board?
>
>Appreciate it.
>
>Mike

Yes, plug in the 4 pin power too, some boards will run without it, some
wont, but it's to help keep power to the CPU.

I guess i would take the board out of the case and lay it on a piece of
cardboard and see what it does, check case for unused standoffs or
anything else that could have been touching the board where it
shouldn't.

Ed
--
VNF3-250/Newcastle 3200+