Can't install Sony Camcorder USB driver

Champagne Charlie

I have a Sony DCR-TR480 Digital8 camcorder and going nuts from trying to
install the driver for it on my Win XP Pro Packard Bell PC. I have other USB
devices install successfully, e.g. Logitech Quickcam Express, Canon
PowerShot digicam, but somehow the Sony hardware won't show up on my PC. (I
also have a Sony P-90 digicam and it won't install either). For the time
being, my main gripe is my new camcorder and how I might get it to work
though. I've installed all the software for it from the CD which came with
it, and installed/uninstalled the USB driver countless times, but a message
appears telling me I must reboot after installing the USB driver and when I
reboot, there's no sign of any driver installed. Does anyone have any idea
how I can resolve this problem?
TIA.
Geo.

P.S.
BTW, I have a second (Pentium 3) PC and the Sony camera and camcorder show
up no probs on that one.
The problem seems to be with the Packard Bell machine, but why?!

Ben Myers

It is possible that the Sony camcorder requires a USB 2.0 port, and the USB port
hardware on your system is older USB 1.0 or USB 1.1. To fix the problem,
install an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card... Ben Myers

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:57:39 GMT, "Champagne Charlie"
<FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>I have a Sony DCR-TR480 Digital8 camcorder and going nuts from trying to
>install the driver for it on my Win XP Pro Packard Bell PC. I have other USB
>devices install successfully, e.g. Logitech Quickcam Express, Canon
>PowerShot digicam, but somehow the Sony hardware won't show up on my PC. (I
>also have a Sony P-90 digicam and it won't install either). For the time
>being, my main gripe is my new camcorder and how I might get it to work
>though. I've installed all the software for it from the CD which came with
>it, and installed/uninstalled the USB driver countless times, but a message
>appears telling me I must reboot after installing the USB driver and when I
>reboot, there's no sign of any driver installed. Does anyone have any idea
>how I can resolve this problem?
>TIA.
>Geo.
>
>P.S.
>BTW, I have a second (Pentium 3) PC and the Sony camera and camcorder show
>up no probs on that one.
>The problem seems to be with the Packard Bell machine, but why?!

Champagne Charlie

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is possible that the Sony camcorder requires a USB 2.0 port, and the
> USB port
> hardware on your system is older USB 1.0 or USB 1.1. To fix the problem,
> install an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:57:39 GMT, "Champagne Charlie"
> <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I have a Sony DCR-TR480 Digital8 camcorder and going nuts from trying to
>>install the driver for it on my Win XP Pro Packard Bell PC. I have other
>>USB
>>devices install successfully, e.g. Logitech Quickcam Express, Canon
>>PowerShot digicam, but somehow the Sony hardware won't show up on my PC.
>>(I
>>also have a Sony P-90 digicam and it won't install either). For the time
>>being, my main gripe is my new camcorder and how I might get it to work
>>though. I've installed all the software for it from the CD which came with
>>it, and installed/uninstalled the USB driver countless times, but a
>>message
>>appears telling me I must reboot after installing the USB driver and when
>>reboot, there's no sign of any driver installed. Does anyone have any idea
>>how I can resolve this problem?
>>TIA.
>>Geo.
>>
>>P.S.
>>BTW, I have a second (Pentium 3) PC and the Sony camera and camcorder show
>>up no probs on that one.
>>The problem seems to be with the Packard Bell machine, but why?!

I've finally figured it out....'at a heck of a cost! I wondered why when I
have 2 PCs that one would install my drivers for USB & Firewire devices and
the other would not. After trying every 'trick' in the book to get these
devices to install, it dawned on me that there were other similar devices
which I installed no probs....'prior to allowing windows update to take
control of my PC and install whatever it felt like. I 'knew' in the back of
my mind it had to be SP2 that was the problem here, but had no real proof.
Then I uninstalled SP2....'and all my devices now install easily. The only
thing is, the system has now become unstable and very few programs still
actually work properly as SP2 trashes things when you uninstall it. But, at
least I've found the culprit...'SP2! Why the hell do Microsoft tell us we
'need' all this stuff and encourage us to install it when all it does is
cause more problems than it fixes?

Can I sue?

Elector

"Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in
message news:nQXrf.33494$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> I've finally figured it out....'at a heck of a cost! I wondered why
> when I have 2 PCs that one would install my drivers for USB &
> Firewire devices and the other would not. After trying every 'trick'
> in the book to get these devices to install, it dawned on me that
> there were other similar devices which I installed no
> probs....'prior to allowing windows update to take control of my PC
> and install whatever it felt like. I 'knew' in the back of my mind
> it had to be SP2 that was the problem here, but had no real proof.
> Then I uninstalled SP2....'and all my devices now install easily.
> The only thing is, the system has now become unstable and very few
> programs still actually work properly as SP2 trashes things when you
> uninstall it. But, at least I've found the culprit...'SP2! Why the
> hell do Microsoft tell us we 'need' all this stuff and encourage us
> to install it when all it does is cause more problems than it fixes?
>
> Can I sue?

No you cannot. You notice the disclaimer that you install these
updates and that Microsoft does not say it may not cause any problems
etc. its the price people pay for the chance to make an improvement??
If you can call it that.

Elector

RRR_News

Charlie,
1. Did you check on the Packard Bell site under Support and see if there was a USB driver because of SP2. This is additional to what ben_meyers has said, that you may need to go the USB card route to solve your problem.

2. You did not mention what PBell PC model you had, or if the XP Pro on the PC was an upgrade, or originally came with the PC.

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Champagne Charlie" <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:nQXrf.33494$(E-Mail Removed) k...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is possible that the Sony camcorder requires a USB 2.0 port, and the
> USB port
> hardware on your system is older USB 1.0 or USB 1.1. To fix the problem,
> install an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:57:39 GMT, "Champagne Charlie"
> <FreeSoft@(TakeThisOut)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I have a Sony DCR-TR480 Digital8 camcorder and going nuts from trying to
>>install the driver for it on my Win XP Pro Packard Bell PC. I have other
>>USB
>>devices install successfully, e.g. Logitech Quickcam Express, Canon
>>PowerShot digicam, but somehow the Sony hardware won't show up on my PC.
>>(I
>>also have a Sony P-90 digicam and it won't install either). For the time
>>being, my main gripe is my new camcorder and how I might get it to work
>>though. I've installed all the software for it from the CD which came with
>>it, and installed/uninstalled the USB driver countless times, but a
>>message
>>appears telling me I must reboot after installing the USB driver and when
>>reboot, there's no sign of any driver installed. Does anyone have any idea
>>how I can resolve this problem?
>>TIA.
>>Geo.
>>
>>P.S.
>>BTW, I have a second (Pentium 3) PC and the Sony camera and camcorder show
>>up no probs on that one.
>>The problem seems to be with the Packard Bell machine, but why?!

I've finally figured it out....'at a heck of a cost! I wondered why when I
have 2 PCs that one would install my drivers for USB & Firewire devices and
the other would not. After trying every 'trick' in the book to get these
devices to install, it dawned on me that there were other similar devices
which I installed no probs....'prior to allowing windows update to take
control of my PC and install whatever it felt like. I 'knew' in the back of
my mind it had to be SP2 that was the problem here, but had no real proof.
Then I uninstalled SP2....'and all my devices now install easily. The only
thing is, the system has now become unstable and very few programs still
actually work properly as SP2 trashes things when you uninstall it. But, at
least I've found the culprit...'SP2! Why the hell do Microsoft tell us we
'need' all this stuff and encourage us to install it when all it does is
cause more problems than it fixes?

Can I sue?

sony np-f970 camcorder battery sallybattery HP 0 05-23-2008 03:22 AM
[OT] Sony Camcorder ? JayOxO Apple 2 02-03-2008 10:30 PM
Sony DVD camcorder on a mac Hubert19 Apple 1 01-08-2006 09:40 PM
Upgraded Beige G3 + Sony HC30 camcorder + iChat AV... clone Apple 2 07-15-2004 02:53 AM
problem with IEEE1394, SONY camcorder and W2K Slava Hardware 1 01-10-2004 02:55 AM