can't install USB 2.0 card in Dell 8200

Joe

So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much with
it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from 512
MB to a Gig. No problem.

Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
which also doesn't work.

It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap junk
that doesn't work.

What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is it
just not possible?

My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
card.

The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external to
the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this with
my much newer Dell 9200.
Joe

Bob Villa

On Jul 14, 3:04*pm, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much with
> it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
> update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from 512
> MB to a Gig. No problem.
>
> Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
> emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
> which also doesn't work.
>
> It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap junk
> that doesn't work.
>
> What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
> able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is it
> just not possible?
>
> My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
> has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
> lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
> card.
>
> The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
> my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
> the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
> back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
> drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the externalto
> the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this with
> my much newer Dell 9200.
> Joe

Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Steve W.

Joe wrote:
> So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much
> with it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering
> skills and update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM
> bringing it from 512 MB to a Gig. No problem.
>
> Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
> emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical
> one which also doesn't work.
>
> It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap
> junk that doesn't work.
>
> What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell
> be able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or
> is it just not possible?
>
> My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy
> which has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck,
> I got lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a
> $5 USB card.
>
> The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive
> with my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will
> work with the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I
> successfully back up the drive with the external drive, I want to
> install a new larger drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move
> everything from the external to the new drive- as a learning experience,
> in case I ever have to do this with my much newer Dell 9200.
> Joe

I have a USB 2.0 card in my old 8200. Works just fine. It was a cheap
card from Wal~Mart probably 4-5 years ago. Saitek?

--
Steve W.

Trekman

On Jul 14, 4:16*pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 3:04*pm, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done muchwith
> > it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills and
> > update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from512
> > MB to a Gig. No problem.

> > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
> > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
> > which also doesn't work.

> > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheapjunk
> > that doesn't work.

> > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
> > able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or isit
> > just not possible?

> > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
> > has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
> > lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
> > card.

> > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
> > my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
> > the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
> > back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
> > drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external to
> > the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do thiswith
> > my much newer Dell 9200.
> > Joe

> Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=USB_2.0_PCI_A...

I have a USB 2.0 card in my 8200 that worked fine when I was using the
computer. Right now I would send you the card if you want it Joe.

Joe

Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I don't
know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's a driver
problem.
Joe

"Trekman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 14, 4:16 pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 3:04 pm, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much
> > with
> > it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills
> > and
> > update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from
> > 512
> > MB to a Gig. No problem.

> > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
> > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical
> > one
> > which also doesn't work.

> > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap
> > junk
> > that doesn't work.

> > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell
> > be
> > able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is
> > it
> > just not possible?

> > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy
> > which
> > has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
> > lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
> > card.

> > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive
> > with
> > my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work
> > with
> > the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I
> > successfully
> > back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new
> > larger
> > drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the
> > external to
> > the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this
> > with
> > my much newer Dell 9200.
> > Joe

> Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI
> card"http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=USB_2.0_PCI_A...

I have a USB 2.0 card in my 8200 that worked fine when I was using the
computer. Right now I would send you the card if you want it Joe.

Joe

That driver is on Seagate's web site- so I would presume it's designed to
work with Seagate products. Is it likely to work with any USB 2.0 card? I
don't suppose it could hurt to try.
Joe

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Jul 14, 3:04 pm, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much
> with
> it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills
> and
> update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from
> 512
> MB to a Gig. No problem.
>
> Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
> emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
> which also doesn't work.
>
> It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap
> junk
> that doesn't work.
>
> What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
> able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or is it
> just not possible?
>
> My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
> has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
> lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
> card.
>
> The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
> my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
> the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
> back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
> drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external
> the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this
> with
> my much newer Dell 9200.
> Joe

Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.js...00dd04090aRCRD

Ben Myers

On Jul 15, 8:37*am, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> That driver is on Seagate's web site- so I would presume it's designed to
> work with Seagate products. Is it likely to work with any USB 2.0 card? I
> don't suppose it could hurt to try.
> Joe
>
> "Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jul 14, 3:04 pm, "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > So, I have this ancient Dell 8200 as a backup system- haven't done much
> > with
> > it in years but decided to tinker with it, to regain my tinkering skills
> > and
> > update it a bit. I went to EBay and got some cheap RAM bringing it from
> > 512
> > MB to a Gig. No problem.

> > Then I ordered on EBay a cheap USB 2.0 card but it just doesn't work. I
> > emailed the company I purchased it from and they sent me an identical one
> > which also doesn't work.

> > It's obvious that the most likely thing is that the USB cards are cheap
> > junk
> > that doesn't work.

> > What I am wondering is- should they work? I mean, should this old Dell be
> > able to successfully install a PCI card to upgrade it to USB 2.0? Or isit
> > just not possible?

> > My next option is to try with another firm on EBay or go to Best Buy which
> > has them - even there, they're cheap, something like $25 but heck, I got
> > lucky with the RAM on EBay so I thought I could get lucky with a $5 USB
> > card.

> > The main reason I want the USB 2.0 is so I can back up the hard drive with
> > my WD external hard drive using Acronis. The external drive will work with
> > the existing USB 1.0 on the MB but it's way too slow. After I successfully
> > back up the drive with the external drive, I want to install a new larger
> > drive, then using Acronis, see if I can move everything from the external
> > the new drive- as a learning experience, in case I ever have to do this
> > with
> > my much newer Dell 9200.
> > Joe

> Google is your friend! "USB 2 PCI card"http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=USB_2.0_PCI_A...

As a rule, you need drivers to install a USB 2.0 card under Windows
2000 or later. The drivers are generally tied to the USB chipset on
the card. I have found the NEC USB chipset to be the most trouble-
free in a free-standing card. The other popular USB chipset is VIA.
So look at the chipset on the card and match drivers to it.

Steve W.

Joe wrote:
> Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I
> don't know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's
> a driver problem.
> Joe

You will need to install drivers for the card on that machine.
Very few add on port type cards will have native driver support.

--
Steve W.

Bob Villa

On Jul 15, 10:17*am, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Joe wrote:
> > Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I
> > don't know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's
> > a driver problem.
> > Joe

> You will need to install drivers for the card on that machine.
> Very few add on port type cards will have native driver support.
>
> --
> Steve W.

On a 4550 when I installed a firewire card...it was plug-and-play,
drivers were there.

Ben Myers

On Jul 15, 1:26*pm, Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 10:17*am, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Joe wrote:
> > > Did you need to install any drivers or did it just work? In my case, I
> > > don't know if the problem is that it's cheap stuff from EBay or if it's
> > > a driver problem.
> > > Joe

> > You will need to install drivers for the card on that machine.
> > Very few add on port type cards will have native driver support.

> > --
> > Steve W.

> On a 4550 when I installed a firewire card...it was plug-and-play,
> drivers were there.

It all depends on whether or not the chipset drivers are included with
all the drivers shipped on a Windows installation CD. Drivers
present? Plug-N-Play. Drivers missing? Find them... Ben Myers