Can't reactivate Ethernet adapter

Tony Harding

I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
*hid* the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

TIA,
TH

Bert Hyman

In news:(E-Mail Removed) Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> The driver won't install saying there's no device there. I cannot for
> the life of me remember how I *hid* the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have
> any clues or tips?

Did you delete it from the device manager?

Open the device manager, in the right-hand pane, right-click on the
top-most icon representing your system and select "scan for hardware
changes"; maybe it will find your adapter again.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)

Anthony R. Gold

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:53:52 -0400, Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
> so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
> Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
> Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
> there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
> hid the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.

I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

Tony

Tom Rutherford

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:53:52 -0400, Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
> > so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
> > Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
> > Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
> > there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
> > hid the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

> In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
> Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.
>
> I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections, with
the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get to
those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or similar
message.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:53:52 -0400, Tony Harding <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been using the wireless adapter on my R61 TP for the last year or
>>> so and hid/disabled the Ethernet port. I just moved and want to use the
>>> Ethernet port but can't figure out how to get it back. Nothing in Dev
>>> Mgr and nothing in the BIOS setup? The driver won't install saying
>>> there's no device there. I cannot for the life of me remember how I
>>> hid the Ethernet adapter. Anyone have any clues or tips?

>> In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
>> Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.
>>
>> I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

> Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
> There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
> Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections, with
> the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get to
> those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or similar
> message.

I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

Tony

Tom Rutherford

"Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the

> >> In XP go to Settings, Network Connections to find the LAN Connection.
> >> Right click on the LAN Connection and click on Enable.
> >>
> >> I presume Vista has something analogous to this.

> > Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
> > There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
> > Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections,

with
> > the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get

> > those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or similar
> > message.

> I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately. When
I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched onto
them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's how
it was supposed to be.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

TKM

"Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HsfQk.3025$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> the

>> > Don't you have to do that from within ThinkVantage Access Connections?
>> > There's an item in the lower left of the opening screen..."Configure"?
>> > Anyway, if TVAC is active, it snags control of all network connections,

> with
>> > the possible exception of your dial-up connectoids. If you try to get

>> > those things via XP's applet, you get a "Cannot control port" or
>> > similar
>> > message.

>> I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

> I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately.
> When
> I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched onto
> them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's how
> it was supposed to be.
>
> --
> -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
> "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
> (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

My X31 with XP Prosessional has the same problem. The two Ethernet
connection icons which are shown as the 1394 Connection and the Local Area
Connections have disappeared from the Network Connections folder and I can't
figure out how to get them back. I've tried the TVAC, but it only shows
how to handle the wireless connection.

Reinstalling the adapters doesn't work and a check of the Device Manager
shows no problems with the adapters or controllers.

I have a feeling that a Windows component has to be restored, but which one
and how?

TKM

Charlie

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:19:08 GMT, "TKM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

I admit to having no Vista experience since I'm out of the IT field (about 5
years now), but I can see why Apple is drilling MS on Vista with their TV
commercials.

I recently had to help a friend view some photos and video I had FTP'ed to my
web site. I sat down at their puter and was agawk at the interface! No wonder
they couldn't figure out how to simply download a few files. It was so foreign
looking, I thought they had some bastardized version of ME installed. What a
kludge!

They'll have to pry XP from my cold dead fingers after that experience!

Tom Rutherford

"TKM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wXhQk.16916$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HsfQk.3025$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Anthony R. Gold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:11:11 -0500, "Tom Rutherford"

<(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>

> > the

Dev

Connection.

Connections?

screen..."Configure"?

connections,
> > with

get

> >> I don't get those symptoms using AC v5.02 under XP.

> > I haven't tried playing with the connections from the XP side lately.
> > When
> > I found that the original IBMAC that shipped with the 'puter latched

onto
> > them and hung on for dear life, I just took it for granted that that's

how
> > it was supposed to be.
> >

> My X31 with XP Prosessional has the same problem. The two Ethernet
> connection icons which are shown as the 1394 Connection and the Local Area
> Connections have disappeared from the Network Connections folder and I

can't
> figure out how to get them back. I've tried the TVAC, but it only shows
> how to handle the wireless connection.

Hmmm...Very strange.

> Reinstalling the adapters doesn't work and a check of the Device Manager
> shows no problems with the adapters or controllers.

How did you try reinstalling? Did you delete them from Device Manager and
let Windows discover and reinstall them?

> I have a feeling that a Windows component has to be restored, but which

one
> and how?

Back in the Win98SE daze, there was something called System File Checker, I
think it was called. Is there an analogue to SFC for XP Pro? If so, that
should give you a list of changed or missing files. You may have to borrow
somebody's XP Pro disc, though, unless you got one with your 'puter. I
didn't; got a restore and recovery (or whatever they call it) partition on
the hard drive, which doesn't do much good, unless there's an SFClike
program there. In fact, when I upgraded my hard drive from the stock 30-gig
to an 80, onto which I cloned both the Winderz and IBM partitions, there was
a utility that jumped up and told me what changes had been made since a
certain date. It was kind of freaky, but if I'd needed to know about it, it
might've been helpful. There may be a way that you can invoke that program.
I'm not sure.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

Tom Rutherford

"Charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> I admit to having no Vista experience since I'm out of the IT field (about

5
> years now), but I can see why Apple is drilling MS on Vista with their TV
> commercials.

Yeah, I think Mac's beating up on poor PC. I think the ads are cute,
mostly, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the ol' guy, too. :-)

> I recently had to help a friend view some photos and video I had FTP'ed to

my
> web site. I sat down at their puter and was agawk at the interface! No

wonder
> they couldn't figure out how to simply download a few files. It was so

foreign
> looking, I thought they had some bastardized version of ME installed. What

> kludge!

Vista is turning out to be the Millennium Edition of the NT platforms, as
much as people tell me it's too soon to say that. Okay, call me a prophet,
but I see a day coming soon when Microsoft will do its best to sweep Vista
and all memory of it under the rug with ME. They've already been working on
codename "Windows 7" for a year or two.

> They'll have to pry XP from my cold dead fingers after that experience!

I'm working on migrating to Linux, myself. Screw the Redmond Menace.