can't update bios for asus p4ge-v

bry777@bellsouth.net

I am using w2k os. I can't understand the instructions. It says start
in dos mode. I got a dos boot and so I start in dos, but it won't let
me switch from a drive to c drive like it is supposed to.
I have to get to c drive while in dos to run the flash program.

While I'm at it, exactly which flash utility should I use. I have to
update bios because I just put in a 200G hdd but current bios only sees
131G.

Thanks for any help,
jenny

Bob Knowlden

Jenny,

Instructions for updating the BIOS:

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us

For my own system, I usually create a DOS boot floppy with the flash utility
and the BIOS file on it. (For the P4GE-V, the flash utility is Aflash, for
an Award BIOS). Boot the PC from the floppy, and run the flash utility from
it. (All are available for download from support.asus.com. The latest
version of Aflash they list for your board is 2.21.)

If your boot partition (C uses NTFS, it won't ordinarily be visible from a
DOS boot floppy, but that won't be an issue if you proceed as above.

As an alternative, you could use the EZFlash utility, as described on the
link above. The P4GE-V is supposed to support it. EZFlash is a utility built
into the BIOS itself, and doesn't require a boot into any operating system.
Basically, you unzip the new BIOS file onto an otherwise blank floppy, and
put it in the drive. Reboot the machine, and press alt-F2 during POST (power
on self test). That launches the EZFlash utility.

Are you sure that you need a BIOS update? According to Asus, versions 1.02
and later support LBA48 drives. I mention that only because a failed BIOS
update can cause trouble. (If you must do the update, it would be wise to
prepare a floppy containing a BIOS file that can be used by the BIOS
recovery utility in the event of a problem.)

Incidentally, if you haven't read this, it may be worth a look:

"48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000"

Hope this helps.

Bob Knowlden

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am using w2k os. I can't understand the instructions. It says start
> in dos mode. I got a dos boot and so I start in dos, but it won't let
> me switch from a drive to c drive like it is supposed to.
> I have to get to c drive while in dos to run the flash program.
>
> While I'm at it, exactly which flash utility should I use. I have to
> update bios because I just put in a 200G hdd but current bios only sees
> 131G.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> jenny

jenny

easyflash worked very easily. Thanks!!!! But even with bios update (and I
do have all the w2k updates) I can't
get my 200G harddrive to show more than 137GB.

Update Asus Update? Mox 13 Asus 3 04-11-2004 07:54 AM
ASUS BIOS pops up and says, CPU FREQ or something that effect. ASUS ASUS MOBO Jelly Asus 2 02-21-2004 12:36 AM
driver update + bios update left me without cd-rw TEHarmer1 MSI 3 11-08-2003 04:29 PM
Asus P4P8X to P4P800 via bios update? Martin Fux Asus 1 07-31-2003 03:14 AM
Asus A7PRO (rev. 1.02) Bios update problem Jmax Asus 1 07-23-2003 10:11 PM