Carbonite Sneaks in

lgreenwood@srt.com

While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
software running as it was being updated also.

It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
delete it.

When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
a virus issue, I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

Larry

Doug

> While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
> not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
> itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
> software running as it was being updated also.
>
> It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
> delete it.
>
> When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
> a virus issue, I saw that it was a legit online backup service.
>
> Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?
>
> Larry

If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
"downloaded itself."

A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
toolbar.)

I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
seen malware place itself visible on the desktop

As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 9, 10:45*am, "Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
> > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
> > itself automatically onto my desktop. *I did not have the virus
> > software running as it was being updated also.

> > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
> > delete it.

> > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
> > a virus issue, *I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

> > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

> > Larry

> * * I dunno about the real Carbonite, but since when do virus writers
> observe copyright laws?
>
> *TimDaniels*

After it was downloaded a message came up and asked if I wanted a
trial subscription. I also noticed that references to it are also
embedded in the registry. I sent an email to the company's customer
support asking them if they were aware of this activity. If, indeed,
it is a new marketing strategy, I would say that it is a very invasive
one.

Larry

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 9, 1:27*pm, Doug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
> > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
> > itself automatically onto my desktop. *I did not have the virus
> > software running as it was being updated also.

> > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
> > delete it.

> > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
> > a virus issue, *I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

> > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

> > Larry

> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
> "downloaded itself."
>
> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
> toolbar.)
>
> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.
>
> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop
>
> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
embedded in several places.

I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
activity in their name.

Larry

Steve W.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Dec 9, 1:27 pm, Doug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
>>> not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
>>> itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have the virus
>>> software running as it was being updated also.
>>> It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
>>> delete it.
>>> When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
>>> a virus issue, I saw that it was a legit online backup service.
>>> Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?
>>> Larry

>> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
>> "downloaded itself."
>>
>> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
>> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
>> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
>> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
>> toolbar.)
>>
>> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.
>>
>> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
>> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop
>>
>> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

> The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
> the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
> chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
> software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
> registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
> embedded in several places.
>
> I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
> activity in their name.
>
> Larry

You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.

Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 9, 2:00*pm, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
> >> "downloaded itself."

> >> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
> >> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
> >> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
> >> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
> >> toolbar.)

> >> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

> >> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
> >> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop

> >> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

> > The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
> > the windows update. *The update was not finished so there was no
> > chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
> > software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
> > registry. *The invasion of registry really bothers me. *It was
> > embedded in several places.

> > I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
> > activity in their name.

> > Larry

> You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
> I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.
>
> Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.
>
> --
> Steve W.
> (\___/)
> (='.'=)
> (")_(")

Where would I look for that setting?

Larry

Steve W.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2:00 pm, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> The message asking if I wanted a trial subscription popped up during
>>> the windows update. The update was not finished so there was no
>>> chance to opt out except when that message came up and appear the
>>> software was in position in several places on harddrive and in the
>>> registry. The invasion of registry really bothers me. It was
>>> embedded in several places.
>>> I have sent a message to the company and asked if they were aware this
>>> activity in their name.
>>> Larry

>> You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
>> I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.
>>
>> Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.
>>
>> --
>> Steve W.
>> (\___/)
>> (='.'=)
>> (")_(")

> Where would I look for that setting?
>
> Larry

It's part of the windows update system. The default option of fully
automatic updates allows for updates of everything on the machine. If
you select the option of download but ask before installing you will get
a list of what updates are there. Then you just uncheck the ones you
don't want.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 9, 2:42*pm, "Steve W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> You might want to look at what other programs you have that auto-update.
> >> I would bet that one of them has the Carbonite trial offer attached.

> >> Especially if you have it set up to look for driver and firmware updates.

> >> --
> >> Steve W.
> >> (\___/)
> >> (='.'=)
> >> (")_(")

> > Where would I look for that setting?

> > Larry

> It's part of the windows update system. The default option of fully
> automatic updates allows for updates of everything on the machine. If
> you select the option of download but ask before installing you will get
> a list of what updates are there. Then you just uncheck the ones you
> don't want.
>
> --
> Steve W.
> (\___/)
> (='.'=)
> (")_(")

Ok...I checked the update system and automatic updates was set to
never and I never saw Carbonite listed anywhere.

I managed to clean the Carbonite files off the harddrive with
unlocker.exe, cleaned the registry files manually, and ran a virus
scan with Mcafee. Wow! What an invasive piece of software! That was
one very aggressive marketing strategy if it was the company, which
now I am beginning to suspect it was.

Thanks for the advice....

Larry

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 9, 1:27*pm, Doug <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/9/2010 12:29 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
> > not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
> > itself automatically onto my desktop. *I did not have the virus
> > software running as it was being updated also.

> > It apparently did not actually install itself, but it would not let me
> > delete it.

> > When I googled Carbonite, expecting to see a reference to Carbonite as
> > a virus issue, *I saw that it was a legit online backup service.

> > Has anyone else had this experience with Carbonite?

> > Larry

> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
> "downloaded itself."
>
> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
> toolbar.)
>
> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.
>
> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop
>
> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

Hi Doug...also odd that it modified the registry in several places. I
had McAfee check the executable file before I deleted it and it did
not detect a virus. After the windows updates was completed there was
a Carbonite shortcut on the desktop pointing to a folder with an
installation program in the Program directory. Unlocker could only
unlock and delete the executable upon reboot. Several other files were
scattered over the harddrive. I have no idea how those files got onto
the computer, but Mcafee was apparently down when it was being
updated. The shortcut was dated with today's date.

I sent an email to company asking them if they were aware of any
issues like this, but haven't heard back.

I have been Windows user since 1987 and never had this happen.

Larry

lgreenwood@srt.com

On Dec 9, 9:30*pm, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:26:26 -0800 (PST), "(E-Mail Removed)"
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> If it is actually a genuine Carbonite installer it is highly unlikely it
> >> "downloaded itself."

> >> A much more likely scenario would be that it was an opt out option
> >> alongside some other download and the check-box went unnoticed. (like
> >> they often do with toolbars, the "would you like to download zippygood
> >> toolbar" and if you forget or don't notice to uncheck it you get the
> >> toolbar.)

> >> I've used Carbonite for sometime now and they seem to be a straight shooter.

> >> Of course any file could be named anything but, I can't say I've ever
> >> seen malware place itself visible on the desktop

> >> As to why it was locked from deletion who knows. Windows. Right?

> >Hi Doug...also odd that it modified the registry in several places. *I
> >had McAfee check the executable file before I deleted it and it did
> >not detect a virus. After the windows updates was completed there was
> >a Carbonite shortcut on the desktop pointing to a folder with an
> >installation program in the Program directory. Unlocker could only
> >unlock and delete the executable upon reboot. Several other files were
> >scattered over the harddrive. *I have no idea how those files got onto
> >the computer, but Mcafee was apparently down when it was being
> >updated. *The shortcut was dated with today's date.

> >I sent an email to company asking them if they were aware of any
> >issues like this, but haven't heard back.

> >I have been Windows user since 1987 and never had this happen.

> >Larry

> As a general rule I don't do updates of any kind because I've heard
> too many stories like this tho usually it has to do with windows
> updates in particular. *I have people who disagree with my approach
> but in the past I've had a working system when I went to bed only to
> find it not working in the morning and attributed that to a windows
> update. * You may want to check your firewall settings more closely as
> well as restore points. *Of course frequent backups are the best
> defense. *

Thanks for the advice I will do that...Later this evening I did a
Windows XP update on another older Dell laptop I have. It had been
offline for several months. The updates went flawlessly as they
usually do.
Larry