Cases: are ALL H340 PSUs bad quality?

Grings

Hi,

there are these six machines built into those tiny AOpen H340 cases. The
machines are all around just over one year old and during the last few
months two of them have had their PSU fan stop for no apparent reason.

Luckily, in both cases the dead fan was noticed before any serious damage
happened to any of the other hardware, although I wouldn't trust the PSU or
the case again.

So I was wondering if anybody else has had bad experience with AOpen cases
or the H340 series in particular. These PSUs are the ones which have those
extra 12V lines for the P4 added as a sort of bulbous after-though outside
of the main PSU casing which always struck me as a bit suspicious.

After all, it's not like AOpen are a bunch of newbie's at this computer
parts business and if a recent product like the H340 is a fire-risk because
of poor quality fans then which manufactures can be trusted with a SlimPC /
SSF / BookPC design?

Or is the only safe small PC one based on a VIA C3 / low-heat Hard disk /
fan-less PSU combination?

KS Grings,
Ireland
(to reply via email please remove the obvious 'X's and so on in my address)

Roger M

Grings wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there are these six machines built into those tiny AOpen H340 cases. The
> machines are all around just over one year old and during the last few
> months two of them have had their PSU fan stop for no apparent reason.
>
> Luckily, in both cases the dead fan was noticed before any serious damage
> happened to any of the other hardware, although I wouldn't trust the PSU or
> the case again.
>
> So I was wondering if anybody else has had bad experience with AOpen cases
> or the H340 series in particular. These PSUs are the ones which have those
> extra 12V lines for the P4 added as a sort of bulbous after-though outside
> of the main PSU casing which always struck me as a bit suspicious.
>
> After all, it's not like AOpen are a bunch of newbie's at this computer
> parts business and if a recent product like the H340 is a fire-risk because
> of poor quality fans then which manufactures can be trusted with a SlimPC /
> SSF / BookPC design?
>
> Or is the only safe small PC one based on a VIA C3 / low-heat Hard disk /
> fan-less PSU combination?
>
> KS Grings,
> Ireland
> (to reply via email please remove the obvious 'X's and so on in my address)

I don't know about your case problem. I have a couple of Aopen cases that seem
to be fine right now but they aren't a year old yet either. The one thing I do
know is that this group is a cold lonely place. It's the only group I've ever
been in where when you open a message the words inside cause an echo.

Roger

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

/
> > fan-less PSU combination?
> >
> > KS Grings,
> > Ireland
> > (to reply via email please remove the obvious 'X's and so on in my

address)

> I don't know about your case problem. I have a couple of Aopen cases that

seem
> to be fine right now but they aren't a year old yet either. The one thing

I do
> know is that this group is a cold lonely place. It's the only group I've

ever
> been in where when you open a message the words inside cause an echo.
>

> Roger

I use a lot of AOpen cases, but haven't used the slimline case. I have yet
to have a PSU go bad in any of their cases. Most of AOpen's PSU's are made
by someone else, so maybe that particular PSU is a problem.

Chris

Nystagmus

"Roger M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Grings wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > there are these six machines built into those tiny AOpen H340 cases. The
> > machines are all around just over one year old and during the last few
> > months two of them have had their PSU fan stop for no apparent reason.
> >
> > Luckily, in both cases the dead fan was noticed before any serious

damage
> > happened to any of the other hardware, although I wouldn't trust the PSU

or
> > the case again.
> >
> > So I was wondering if anybody else has had bad experience with AOpen

cases
> > or the H340 series in particular. These PSUs are the ones which have

those
> > extra 12V lines for the P4 added as a sort of bulbous after-though

outside
> > of the main PSU casing which always struck me as a bit suspicious.
> >
> > After all, it's not like AOpen are a bunch of newbie's at this computer
> > parts business and if a recent product like the H340 is a fire-risk

because
> > of poor quality fans then which manufactures can be trusted with a

SlimPC /
> > SSF / BookPC design?
> >
> > Or is the only safe small PC one based on a VIA C3 / low-heat Hard disk

/
> > fan-less PSU combination?
> >
> > KS Grings,
> > Ireland
> > (to reply via email please remove the obvious 'X's and so on in my

address)

> I don't know about your case problem. I have a couple of Aopen cases that

seem
> to be fine right now but they aren't a year old yet either. The one thing

I do
> know is that this group is a cold lonely place. It's the only group I've

ever
> been in where when you open a message the words inside cause an echo.
>

> Roger

It is lonely here. Goes to show you how well built and problem free AOpen
products are.

Nystagmus

Microsoft Speech Recognition repeating error "all all all all all all" kenrosen@gmail.com Tablet PC 5 12-24-2005 01:29 AM
PSUs with and without switches. And KVM compatibility with them jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk PC Hardware 20 06-28-2005 09:09 PM
ATI 9800 Pros, PSUs, and you Servo ATI 16 05-06-2005 07:36 AM
Problem with PSUs Adrian Galperin Asus 9 04-30-2005 07:10 PM
Aopen MX4SGI-N build into an H340 case - not booting Stephen Richards AOpen 0 08-25-2003 04:31 PM