CD Analog 4 pin plug

Nicolas Poirier

I'm curious about the utility of analog audio 4 pins plug on back of my CD
drive. If I run a music CD, music plays anyway if cable is there or not. In
what circumstances use of this wire become usefull ?

Thank you
Nicolas Poirier

Mike Walsh

The cable is used with the digital to analog converter in the CD drive to provide an analog signal directly from the CD drive to the sound card. It eliminates processor overhead and is necessary with old CDROM drives that don't have digital audio extraction.

--
Mike Walsh