CD Audio Only with Sound Blatster Live! Value Card (CT4780)

alan

I bought a Sound Blaster Live! Value card (CT4780) on Ebay recently
and haven't been able to get it to work. It was a bare card with no
drivers. Oddly enough, I only get sound out of it when I play an audio
CD. No sound from wav, mp3, or midi files. I've checked the standard
culprits: sources aren't muted in the mixer, volume is turned up, no
IRQ conflicts, drivers seem to be installed correctly, digital output
is disabled. I thought it might be due to left-over drivers from the
ISA sound card I had installed before, so I tried a clean install of
Windows with just the Sound Blaster installed. No luck. The drivers
came from the Creative web site for the Windows 98 SoundBlaster Live!
Value. I'm running out of ideas to try. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

Here are some details of my setup:

Windows 98
Abit BH6 motherboard
Celeron 1.1GHz
448 MB RAM
WD 80GB hard drive
WD 10GB hard drive
Yamaha CRW2200EZ
Diamond Viper V770 AGP TNT2 video card
Best Data 56FW PCI modem (slot 3)
Sound Blaster Live! (slot 2)
Floppy disk

[IRQs]

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Communications Port (COM2)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
5 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 (free)
10 Creative SB Live! Value
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 Best Data PCI Modem Enumerator
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Shepİ

On 16 Oct 2003 20:54:23 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs (E-Mail Removed) (alan)
wrote :

>I bought a Sound Blaster Live! Value card (CT4780) on Ebay recently
>and haven't been able to get it to work. It was a bare card with no
>drivers. Oddly enough, I only get sound out of it when I play an audio
>CD. No sound from wav, mp3, or midi files. I've checked the standard
>culprits: sources aren't muted in the mixer, volume is turned up, no
>IRQ conflicts, drivers seem to be installed correctly, digital output
>is disabled. I thought it might be due to left-over drivers from the
>ISA sound card I had installed before, so I tried a clean install of
>Windows with just the Sound Blaster installed. No luck. The drivers
>came from the Creative web site for the Windows 98 SoundBlaster Live!
>Value. I'm running out of ideas to try. Does anyone have any
>suggestions?
>
>Here are some details of my setup:
>
>Windows 98
>Abit BH6 motherboard
>Celeron 1.1GHz
>448 MB RAM
>WD 80GB hard drive
>WD 10GB hard drive
>Yamaha CRW2200EZ
>Diamond Viper V770 AGP TNT2 video card
>Best Data 56FW PCI modem (slot 3)
>Sound Blaster Live! (slot 2)
>Floppy disk
>
>[IRQs]
>
>0 System timer
>1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
>2 Programmable interrupt controller
>3 Communications Port (COM2)
>4 Communications Port (COM1)
>5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
>5 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
>5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
>5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
>6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
>7 Printer Port (LPT1)
>8 System CMOS/real time clock
>9 (free)
>10 Creative SB Live! Value
>10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
>11 Best Data PCI Modem Enumerator
>11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
>12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
>13 Numeric data processor
>14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
>14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
>15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
>15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

You are welcome to try the Win98SE/ME OEM drivers that came with my
card,
http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/98se_me.exe

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

alan

Thanks, that helped. I'm suprised the Win98SE/ME drivers helped since
I'm using the plain-Jane version of Windows 98. I now can play wav,
mp3 and midi files out of the main line-out jack. Any idea how to get
sound out of the the second line-out jack? I tried setting the speaker
configuration to quadraphonic in the advanced options under the
Multimedia icon in the Control Panel, but it didn't seem to help. I
don't see any other options in the play control, either. Do I need
another piece of software? Some of the user's manuals talk about
AudioHQ. Do I need that?

Shepİ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 16 Oct 2003 20:54:23 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs (E-Mail Removed) (alan)
> wrote :
>
> >I bought a Sound Blaster Live! Value card (CT4780) on Ebay recently
> >and haven't been able to get it to work. It was a bare card with no
> >drivers. Oddly enough, I only get sound out of it when I play an audio
> >CD. No sound from wav, mp3, or midi files. I've checked the standard
> >culprits: sources aren't muted in the mixer, volume is turned up, no
> >IRQ conflicts, drivers seem to be installed correctly, digital output
> >is disabled. I thought it might be due to left-over drivers from the
> >ISA sound card I had installed before, so I tried a clean install of
> >Windows with just the Sound Blaster installed. No luck. The drivers
> >came from the Creative web site for the Windows 98 SoundBlaster Live!
> >Value. I'm running out of ideas to try. Does anyone have any
> >suggestions?
> >
> >Here are some details of my setup:
> >
> >Windows 98
> >Abit BH6 motherboard
> >Celeron 1.1GHz
> >448 MB RAM
> >WD 80GB hard drive
> >WD 10GB hard drive
> >Yamaha CRW2200EZ
> >Diamond Viper V770 AGP TNT2 video card
> >Best Data 56FW PCI modem (slot 3)
> >Sound Blaster Live! (slot 2)
> >Floppy disk
> >
> >[IRQs]
> >
> >0 System timer
> >1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
> >2 Programmable interrupt controller
> >3 Communications Port (COM2)
> >4 Communications Port (COM1)
> >5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> >5 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro
> >5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> >5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> >6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
> >7 Printer Port (LPT1)
> >8 System CMOS/real time clock
> >9 (free)
> >10 Creative SB Live! Value
> >10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> >11 Best Data PCI Modem Enumerator
> >11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> >12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
> >13 Numeric data processor
> >14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> >14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
> >15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
> >15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

> You are welcome to try the Win98SE/ME OEM drivers that came with my
> card,
> http://www.sheppola.karoo.net/98se_me.exe
>
> HTH

Shepİ

On 18 Oct 2003 15:24:52 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

>Thanks, that helped. I'm suprised the Win98SE/ME drivers helped since
>I'm using the plain-Jane version of Windows 98. I now can play wav,
>mp3 and midi files out of the main line-out jack. Any idea how to get
>sound out of the the second line-out jack? I tried setting the speaker
>configuration to quadraphonic in the advanced options under the
>Multimedia icon in the Control Panel, but it didn't seem to help. I
>don't see any other options in the play control, either. Do I need
>another piece of software? Some of the user's manuals talk about
>AudioHQ. Do I need that?

I think you will just have tinker around with the mixer settings
including the windows mixer options.
It's probably some daft Creative setting somewhere I recall.I'd also
get a good collection of drivers and programs and stuff and burn those
drivers etc to a CDR

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

procerus

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks, that helped. I'm suprised the Win98SE/ME drivers helped since
> I'm using the plain-Jane version of Windows 98. I now can play wav,
> mp3 and midi files out of the main line-out jack. Any idea how to get
> sound out of the the second line-out jack? I tried setting the speaker
> configuration to quadraphonic in the advanced options under the
> Multimedia icon in the Control Panel, but it didn't seem to help. I
> don't see any other options in the play control, either. Do I need
> another piece of software? Some of the user's manuals talk about
> AudioHQ. Do I need that?

Hi,

if there are any jumpers on the pins at the end of the card try removing
them. The Live Value is crippled by these jumpers which tell the card to
only allow headphone out with some drivers. Note where they come from so
that you can replace them if this is no help.

procerus

alan

I finally got everything working. I had to download and install the
original drivers and applications (found them at www.pionex.com)
before I got everything to work. (It was a 100 MB file.) Updating to
the latest Windows 98 drivers from the Creative site hosed everything
up. I don't know if it is something unique about my setup or something
about standard Windows 98 that caused the problem. (Installing the
Win98SE/ME drivers after laoding the original drivers and applications
hosed up those applications.)

The Creative mixer application provides the way to enable sound out of
the rear jacks.

I didn't have to make any IRQ reassignments, change slots, or move
jumpers.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

Allan