Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute

 
 
Ed Light
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to make
a bootable CD?

---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
> Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
> make a bootable CD?


Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It would
save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to be able to
write then it could be USB stick based I guess.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed Light
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2008, 01:57 AM
~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
>> Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
>> make a bootable CD?

>
> Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It would
> save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to be able to
> write then it could be USB stick based I guess.
>
> Cheers,


With a partition and boot manager you can make a little system partition
to boot from that can be sacrificed, and restored from an image. I use
bootitng. But I'm planning to overclock someone's pc on a visit out of
town and it would be nice not to have to mess with the partitions.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Boo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Ed Light wrote:
> Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to make
> a bootable CD?
>

I don't know of any pre-existing .iso files to do that job but you could
customise BartPE <http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/> or "Ultimate Boot CD for
Windows" <http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm> to have Prime95 included.

Note: the BartPE website seems to be down atm.

Hth,

--
Boo
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Light
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2008, 02:41 AM

Thanks, guys.

Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading the
package right now.

---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Light
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Ed Light wrote:
>
> Thanks, guys.
>
> Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading the
> package right now.


It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
>>> Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
>>> make a bootable CD?

>>
>> Not that I know of Ed but I'd be very interested if you find one. It
>> would save risking OS corruption when overclocking. If it needs to
>> be able to write then it could be USB stick based I guess.
>>
>> Cheers,

>
> With a partition and boot manager you can make a little system
> partition to boot from that can be sacrificed, and restored from an
> image. I use bootitng. But I'm planning to overclock someone's pc on
> a visit out of town and it would be nice not to have to mess with the
> partitions. ---


I basically do the same thing with my own computer. I have a 5 GB partition
for Windows (XP Pro) that I back up regularly (using Acronis True Image) and
always back up before doing any major overclocking. It only takes a minute
or two to back up, a bit longer to restore from backup. This has the dual
advantages of having the backup file fit on a DVD writable and also Windows
doesn't make a big mess scattering files all over a large partition. 5 GB is
quick and easy to defrag.

However, it'd be nice to have a way to do a similar thing on someone else's
computer without having to mess with their partition set up.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Somewhere on teh intarweb "User" typed:
> Ed Light wrote:
>> Is there a Prime95 equivalent torture test that comes in an iso to
>> make a bootable CD?
>>
>> ---
>> Ed Light
>>
>> Better World News TV Channel:
>> http://realnews.com
>>
>> Bring the Troops Home:
>> http://bringthemhomenow.org
>> http://antiwar.com
>>
>> Iraq Veterans Against the War:
>> http://ivaw.org
>> http://couragetoresist.org
>>
>> Send spam to the FTC at
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> Thanks, robots.

>
> mcnlive on a usb stick with "stress" or "cpuburn" or "crashme"
> installed? http://www.mcnlive.org
> If I remember right you could re-author your livecd from the live usb
> drive with any program that you installed in your live usb session.
> Maybe. I don't know, I can't remember. Anyway mcnlive is amazing on
> any pc that I have tried it on.


Thanks. I've bookmarked that for downloading at a time whan my intarweb
connection is behaving. Looks interesting.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
> Ed Light wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, guys.
>>
>> Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading
>> the package right now.

>
> It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
> memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.


Thanks for that Ed. I believe that I actually have Ultimate Boot CD burnt
and stashed away somewhere (never used it, LOL). I'll have to dig it out and
have a go.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Ed Light" typed:
>> Ed Light wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, guys.
>>>
>>> Ultimate Boot CD For Windows has Prime95 on it, so I'm downloading
>>> the package right now.

>>
>> It works. It's a very big, long project to make the CD. It has both
>> memtest and Prime95. memtest is available when the CD first boots.

>
> Thanks for that Ed. I believe that I actually have Ultimate Boot CD
> burnt and stashed away somewhere (never used it, LOL). I'll have to
> dig it out and have a go.


Heh! So I had a tool that will do it here the whole time! I have ver 4.1.1
(I think, it's written on the disk which is in another machine right now).

It's just a shame there's no CPU temp monitoring at the same time. Still,
that's asking a bit much from a bootable CD, maybe a USB solution would
hadle that.

Oh, it didn't even complete one test. (I know the machine's stable.) It came
up with "spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7." after about 60 seconds. :-(

Ok, LOL, it's still running, the second test/line just appeared on screen.
(It's an old Athlon XP T'bredB currently running at 1.8GHz. It'll do 2.2
easy but there's no need for it in it's current use.) I guess the version of
Prime must just have a bit of extra reporting built-in.
--
Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CD Bootable Prime95 Substitute Ed Light AMD Overclocking 17 06-01-2008 12:36 AM
Creating a bootable Firewire disk - how many bootable partitions? Mike Lindsay Apple 6 10-31-2007 06:55 PM
Can't write to ESCD. Atmel AT49X002ANT, Winbound 29c020 substitute OKay? saturnlee@yahoo.com Asus 1 07-10-2006 06:02 PM
Thermal paste substitute? Puddin' Man Abit 14 01-20-2005 08:54 AM
Substitute Hard Drive Dell Latitude D600 joe smith Dell 1 06-03-2004 12:35 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment