CD drive in one Sun Ultra 30 to be moved to my regular Ultra 30

Barry L. Bond

Greetings!

Well, this week, a co-worker gave me an Ultra 30! :-O

It has kind of been "scavenged" for pieces, and he didn't want me to
have to purchase another CD drive for my Ultra 30 right now, even though
that wouldn't be horribly expensive. (He's right, the money I've spent on
this lightning strike recovery is enough for this moment...)

It has a CPU fan missing, and there is some sort of clip that is
broken, but could be soldered.

He said he wasn't using it any more, and gave it to me!

So! The CD drive!

I got the left side of the Sun cabinet off easily. (The left side if
you're looking at the Sun from the front.)

I see screws that holds the CD drive in on this side.

I suspect (because I've done this in my Linux system -- on BOTH
sides) that there are screws on the other side that also must be removed.

Before I break something, there must be a "nice" way to get the RIGHT
side of the cabinet open, so that I can remove those screws, too!

Goal: remove that CD drive and place it in my Ultra 30, after of
course removing it.

Since the CD drive isn't critical for me now, though it would be nice
not to have to "carefully step" around the front of it risking hitting the
"cup holder" that is sticking out, I am going to have someone who knows
the "good way" to open it tell me how, since I'm not figuring it out,
looking at it! :-O :-)

Thank you!

Barry
--
Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last

Dave

Barry L. Bond wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Well, this week, a co-worker gave me an Ultra 30! :-O

What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

> So! The CD drive!
>
> I got the left side of the Sun cabinet off easily. (The left side if
> you're looking at the Sun from the front.)
>
> I see screws that holds the CD drive in on this side.
>
> I suspect (because I've done this in my Linux system -- on BOTH
> sides) that there are screws on the other side that also must be removed.

Long ago I owned a U30, but not any longer. But I doubt you would need
to remove the right side of the case to take the CD drive out. If its
anything like the U60, you need to pull the front off, undo a few screws
and remove a "cage" which has the CD drive in. Once the cage is outside,
you undo screws on both side to extract it.

Have you looked on the sun web site to see if you can find a service
manual? I suspect you can find one. I've found them for any Sun box I
have ever owned. However, I think the policy on them seems to change a
bit from time to time.

Here's some manuals on the U60, which is not too dissimilar.

http://www.g8wrb.org/useful-stuff/Sun/U60/

BTW, I can recommend the Acard AEC-7720U Ultra SCSI-to-IDE Bridge

http://www.span.com/catalog/product_...oducts_id=1058

It allows you to use a cheap IDE-based DVD writer in a Sun, rather than
pay loads of money for a SCSI CD-writer.

Dave

Trinean wrote:
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:48c247c3@212.67.96.135...
>> What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
>> 360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
>> now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

> You're probably thinking of the Ultra 60 which is the big brother to the
> Ultra 30.
> The Ultra 30 can only take a single 250 MHz or 300 MHz CPU.
>
> The Ultra 60 can take up to 2 CPUs of 300/360/450 MHz.
>
> Trinean

Yes, you are probably right, i am confusing the U30 and U60. I once
owned a U30, but did not keep it long. I bought it from eBay, but the
seller took about 4 months to deliver it. By which time I was convinced
he had gone off with my money, so bought a U60. Finally the U30 arrived,
but did not work. I got it working and sold it on, without ever using it
much.

I thought the U30 was basically a single cpu version of the u60, but
obviously not.

I've got a U80 here, which I need to get rid of!

Barry L. Bond

Hi Dave!

>What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
>360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
>now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

Kenn didn't remember for sure the speed of this one. Mine is 248Mhz.
He thought this one was slower, actually.

I know, but I have spent about $2,000 in recovery from a lightning
strike, plus this month (September) is the most expensive for me, anyway,
because both my car insurance (renewed for 6 months) and my house
insurance (annual) are renewed this month!

If I don't absolutely have to, I'm not getting anything else right
now, even if that something isn't too expensive. I'm paying $160 more a
month than I have to on my mortgage, and it is very important to me to get
my house paid off.

>Have you looked on the sun web site to see if you can find a service
>manual? I suspect you can find one. I've found them for any Sun box I
>have ever owned. However, I think the policy on them seems to change a
>bit from time to time.

Yes, thank you! Trinean's followup gave me just what I needed! :-)

Barry
--
Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last
bbondATcfl.rr.com | updated February 17, 2005)

Barry L. Bond

Hi Trinean!

>Download the service manual for the Ultra 30 from Sun in PDF format at:

>http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/802-7719-12/802-7719-12.pdf

Thank you so very much! That is exactly what I needed!

I'm happy! :-)

Barry
--
Barry L. Bond | http://home.cfl.rr.com/os9barry/
Software Engineer, ITT Corporation | (My personal home web page, last
bbondATcfl.rr.com | updated February 17, 2005)

DoN. Nichols

On 2008-09-06, Barry L. Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Well, this week, a co-worker gave me an Ultra 30! :-O

Great! This gives you a replacement system board, too, so you
can use both serial ports (among other things).

> It has kind of been "scavenged" for pieces, and he didn't want me to
> have to purchase another CD drive for my Ultra 30 right now, even though
> that wouldn't be horribly expensive. (He's right, the money I've spent on
> this lightning strike recovery is enough for this moment...)

Hmm ... does this one use a CD-ROM drive or a DVD-ROM drive? My
Ultra-60s used DVD-ROMs, as well as my earlier Ultra-2s. O.K. Looking
at the FEH -- they were supplied with CD-ROM drives, I must have swapped
in DVDs on my own -- from earlier systems. At least one of my Ultra-2s
came with a DVD ROM drive (perhaps swapped in by a previous owner) --
and I acquired others for other systems -- and kept moving them to the
newer ones until I reached systems (like the SB-1000 and SB-2000) which
came with the DVD-ROM drives as standard.

Anyway -- the DVD-ROMis a Toshiba SD-M1401, and Sun's part
numbers on them are:

390-0025
540-4683
540-4684

and if you get an older one, and want to boot from a DVD-ROM (nice when
installing Solaris 10 -- saves a *lot* of CD swapping), you'll want to
download the firmware patch and install it -- the 1009 firmware version.
(You can tell which by running probe-scsi-all before booting.)

> It has a CPU fan missing, and there is some sort of clip that is
> broken, but could be soldered.

"some sort of clip" for *what* -- and where?

> He said he wasn't using it any more, and gave it to me!

Great!

> So! The CD drive!
>
> I got the left side of the Sun cabinet off easily. (The left side if
> you're looking at the Sun from the front.)
>
> I see screws that holds the CD drive in on this side.

Don't touch them yet.

> I suspect (because I've done this in my Linux system -- on BOTH
> sides) that there are screws on the other side that also must be removed.

There are -- but the side panel on the other side is permanent.
You'll need to remove the bracket which carries the CD/DVD-Rom drive
*and* the floppy -- along with a possible optional tape drive as well.

So -- to get it out (based on checking with my Ultra-60, which
is the same box, two CPUs instead of just one, and I think no other
difference other than airflow control plastic.):

1) Remove the side cover (as you have already done).

2) Look at the bezel surrounding the CD/DVD drive, the floppy (
if present), and the possible third drive) if present. You
should notice that there are a pair of grooves in the sides
about midway down.

Grip by these and yank (perhaps with someone else holding down
the box.) The bezel should come off in your hands. (I didn't
have easy access, so I had to place something in the groove on
the right as viewed from the front and hit that with the heel of
my hand, then hold that forward as I worked the other side
clear.

3) Look into the cavity -- just below the DVD-ROM drive. You
should see two captive slotted head screws. Loosen these until
they pop out (I think that they are spring assisted, and will
come out about 1/4" or so before stopping.

4) Start to pull the entire cage forward -- drives, cables, and
all.

5) Stop and spend some time unplugging ribbon cables and power
cables from the drives.

6) You can now slide the drive cage all the way out, and can
now access the screws from both sides, allowing removing
the drive from the cage. (But -- if you have the same drives in
both systems -- why not pull the entire cage from both, and
exchange them?) It will be easier and you can probably
disconnect the cables at the system board end instead of at the
drives.

> Before I break something, there must be a "nice" way to get the RIGHT
> side of the cabinet open, so that I can remove those screws, too!

The only two ways that I know of getting that side open are a
pneumatic nibbler after drilling a hole in the side to start it, or a
cutting torch (either of which will do nasty things to the "skin" over
the metal chassis -- and probably to many other things in the system. :-)

It is not *made* to come open. Instead -- the drive carrier is
made to pull out the front.

> Goal: remove that CD drive and place it in my Ultra 30, after of
> course removing it.

And removing your old drive.

> Since the CD drive isn't critical for me now, though it would be nice
> not to have to "carefully step" around the front of it risking hitting the
> "cup holder" that is sticking out, I am going to have someone who knows
> the "good way" to open it tell me how, since I'm not figuring it out,
> looking at it! :-O :-)

I have a question -- does the drive "eject" before you start to
boot, or only when booted? I remember having problems with one which
ejected volutarily when booted.

Also -- check whether "vold" is running. If it is

ps -ae | grep 'vold'

then try:

sh /etc/init.d/volmgt stop

to turn it off temporarily. You might not need to swap out the drive.
I've already told you how to turn it off permanently, along with other
things controlled from /etc/init.d.

Also -- check that the SCSI cable is connected *firmly* at both
ends. If it is not, it could be sending confusing signals to the drive,
causing it to eject.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols

On 2008-09-06, Dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Barry L. Bond wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> Well, this week, a co-worker gave me an Ultra 30! :-O

> What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
> 360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
> now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

Agreed!

[ ... ]

> Long ago I owned a U30, but not any longer. But I doubt you would need
> to remove the right side of the case to take the CD drive out. If its
> anything like the U60, you need to pull the front off, undo a few screws
> and remove a "cage" which has the CD drive in. Once the cage is outside,
> you undo screws on both side to extract it.

Exactly.

> Have you looked on the sun web site to see if you can find a service
> manual? I suspect you can find one. I've found them for any Sun box I
> have ever owned. However, I think the policy on them seems to change a
> bit from time to time.
>
> Here's some manuals on the U60, which is not too dissimilar.
>
> http://www.g8wrb.org/useful-stuff/Sun/U60/

Well worth having.

> BTW, I can recommend the Acard AEC-7720U Ultra SCSI-to-IDE Bridge
>
> http://www.span.com/catalog/product_...oducts_id=1058
>
> It allows you to use a cheap IDE-based DVD writer in a Sun, rather than
> pay loads of money for a SCSI CD-writer.

Yes -- that is the 50-pin version, which is what you want. I
tried a 68-pin version with a wide-to-narrow adaptor, and the system got
very confused -- especially trying to boot from it. I now have one with
the 50-pin Acard in my Sun Blade 2000 -- and can boot from it -- even
boot DVDs -- and also burn DVDs (from software in Solaris 10 at least.
I think that you would have to add software to Solaris-8, which IIRC is
what the original poster is running.

Enjoy,
DoN.

On 2008-09-06, Trinean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:48c247c3@212.67.96.135...
>> What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
>> 360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
>> now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

> You're probably thinking of the Ultra 60 which is the big brother to the
> Ultra 30.
> The Ultra 30 can only take a single 250 MHz or 300 MHz CPU.

At least that is all that the FEH lists for it. But I would
still be willing to try it if it is cheap enough.

Sun says that you can mix CPU speeds of the non-Cu types in the
Sun Blade 1000 and Sun Blade 2000.

They also say that you can't mix Cu and non-Cu CPUs, but at the
time that they said that, the 900 MHz Cu was the only Cu type. I wound
up for a while with a 1200 MHz Cu and a 900 MHz Cu in my Sun Blade 2000,
and it worked fine. (I now have two 1200 MHz CPUs, and my wife now has
both of my 900 MHz CPUs to replace her two 750 MHz non-Cu CPUs. She
also gained an extra 0.5 GB of RAM during the swap.

> The Ultra 60 can take up to 2 CPUs of 300/360/450 MHz.

Right -- I was running two of them for a while before the
SB-1000 and SB-2000 machines started arriving here. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

On 2008-09-06, Barry L. Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi Dave!
>
>>What speed is the CPU? If I recall correctly, it can be fitted with 300,
>>360 or 450 MHz CPUs. The 450 MHz X1195A CPUs are next to nothing on eBay
>>now, so you might want to change the CPU if its under 450 MHz.

> Kenn didn't remember for sure the speed of this one. Mine is 248Mhz.
> He thought this one was slower, actually.

Hmm ... pull the CPU out of the new system and look at the
barcode number.

501-4857 250 MHz 1 MB Cache
501-4196 300 MHz 2 MB Cache
501-4849 300 MHz 2 MB Cache

The '-' may or may not be present in the barcode, and there will be
extra digits following which constitute the serial number of the module.

[ ... ]

>>Have you looked on the sun web site to see if you can find a service
>>manual? I suspect you can find one. I've found them for any Sun box I
>>have ever owned. However, I think the policy on them seems to change a
>>bit from time to time.

> Yes, thank you! Trinean's followup gave me just what I needed! :-)

Good!

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Huge

On 2008-09-06, Barry L. Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I know, but I have spent about $2,000 in recovery from a lightning
> strike, plus this month (September) is the most expensive for me, anyway,
> because both my car insurance (renewed for 6 months) and my house
> insurance (annual) are renewed this month!

Does not your household contents insurance cover you. We were struck by
lightning a few months ago, which killed an assortment of stuff, all of which,
including the SB2000 I'm typing this on, were paid for by the insurance.

Trying to make a claim for a non-PC, non-Mac computer was, er, interesting.

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]