CD Drive Problem

charliec@email.com

I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
a number of times before it will open.

What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?

Thanks for any insights.

Charliec

Bob Villa

On Feb 9, 5:15*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I need *a bit of advice. *I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
> and am having a problem getting it to open. *I press the button and it makes sound and
> blinks, but do not open. *I keep trying it and after a number of tries,it finally opens.
> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it outI have to try it
> a number of times before it will open.
>
> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
>
> Thanks for any insights.
>
> Charliec

I had one that did the same...I replaced it. Sorry I can't offer
anything better.

charliec@email.com

No problem, thanks for the input.

>On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 17:53:39 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 9, 5:15*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I need *a bit of advice. *I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
>> and am having a problem getting it to open. *I press the button and it makes sound and
>> blinks, but do not open. *I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
>> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
>> a number of times before it will open.
>>
>> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
>>
>> Thanks for any insights.
>>
>> Charliec

>I had one that did the same...I replaced it. Sorry I can't offer
>anything better.

Christopher Muto

> I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
> and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
> blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
> a number of times before it will open.
>
> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
>
> Thanks for any insights.
>
> Charliec

if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
the tray.

charliec@email.com

Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:37:42 -0500, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2/9/2011 6:15 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
>> and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
>> blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
>> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
>> a number of times before it will open.
>>
>> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
>>
>> Thanks for any insights.
>>
>> Charliec

>if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
>should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
>inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
>replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
>that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
>your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
>burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135210
>if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
>and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
>the tray.

charliec@email.com

Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
8300?
Thanks

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:39:31 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?
>
>>On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:37:42 -0500, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>On 2/9/2011 6:15 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I need a bit of advice. I have a 48X Mas CD-RW Drive (Sony CD-RW CRX216E) in my Dim 8300
>>> and am having a problem getting it to open. I press the button and it makes sound and
>>> blinks, but do not open. I keep trying it and after a number of tries, it finally opens.
>>> If I insert a cd it operates normally in using the cd, but to take it out I have to try it
>>> a number of times before it will open.
>>>
>>> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any insights.
>>>
>>> Charliec

>>if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
>>should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
>>inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
>>replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
>>that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
>>your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
>>burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135210
>>if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
>>and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
>>the tray.

Christopher Muto

> Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
> 8300?
> Thanks
>
>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:39:31 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?

>>> if the drive is original to the system then it has probably failed and
>>> should be replaced. a replacement is only $21 so it isn't worth
>>> inveting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot the problem, but rather
>>> replace it and see if the problems goes away. here is a nice pata drive
>>> that burns both cds and dvds. it does not come with any software but
>>> your existing software should work with it just fine (at least for
>>> burning cds). and there is free cd/dvd burning software available.
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135210
>>> if you have a cd stuck in your current drive then un-curl a paper clip
>>> and find the hole in the front of the drive for the manual ejection of
>>> the tray.

the provided link it to a vendor called newegg. they are reputable and
very cheap. dell does not sell a replacement drive on their site, but i
suppose you could get one after calling tech support to obtain a part
number and then calling dell spare parts... but i am sure it will be
three or more times the price. your system came with an optical (cd)
drive that has what is called an ide or pata interface. most optical
drives on the market or in stores today have a sata interface that is
not compatible. your system could support a sata drive but it would
mean also getting a cable, activating the port in the bios, etc... not
worth the effort. also, installation instructions are found on
support.dell.com then clicking on 'manuals' from the left hand column,
selecting your machine and then selecting the 'service' manual.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

> What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?

It's a bad/slipping tray drive belt. You can replace it, since the
speed is not terribly critical, a properly sized rubber band would do
in a pinch. You may even have one laying around the house.

Getting the drive apart is not too hard. Eject the tray (leave it
out), power down, remove it from the computer, remove the bottom
panel, be mindful of any heat dissipating pads that are on it, remove
the front panel (pries out from the metal body, but be gentle!) and
then the chassis will descend with a little diddling. You should be
able to see the belt quite clearly. Move the tray a little if you need
to. Remove, replace and put the drive back together. Screw the bottom
back on, snap the front bezel back on, put the drive back in your
computer and go again.

It'll probably take you 10-15 minutes tops if you've got the rubber
band already.

William

charliec@email.com

Christopher,

I should have also added that I have a second drive in my system - the "8X DVD+R/RW
Combination Drive - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD" - would the drive on Newegg be a duplication of
that one?

Maybe I can just use it and ignore the other one (I'm just so active in using the other
one).

Thanks
Charlie

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:01:12 -0500, Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2/10/2011 12:07 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
>> 8300?
>> Thanks
>>
>>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 20:39:31 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Thanks Christopher, I will look into that - does that drive come from Dell?

>the provided link it to a vendor called newegg. they are reputable and
>very cheap. dell does not sell a replacement drive on their site, but i
>suppose you could get one after calling tech support to obtain a part
>number and then calling dell spare parts... but i am sure it will be
>three or more times the price. your system came with an optical (cd)
>drive that has what is called an ide or pata interface. most optical
>drives on the market or in stores today have a sata interface that is
>not compatible. your system could support a sata drive but it would
>mean also getting a cable, activating the port in the bios, etc... not
>worth the effort. also, installation instructions are found on
>support.dell.com then clicking on 'manuals' from the left hand column,
>selecting your machine and then selecting the 'service' manual.

Christopher Muto

> Christopher,
>
> I should have also added that I have a second drive in my system - the "8X DVD+R/RW
> Combination Drive - NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD" - would the drive on Newegg be a duplication of
> that one?
>
> Maybe I can just use it and ignore the other one (I'm just so active in using the other
> one).
>
> Thanks
> Charlie
>
>> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:01:12 -0500, Christopher Muto<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> On 2/10/2011 12:07 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Christopher, if not from Dell, where can I get this drive that will work with the Dim
>>> 8300?
>>> Thanks

>> the provided link it to a vendor called newegg. they are reputable and
>> very cheap. dell does not sell a replacement drive on their site, but i
>> suppose you could get one after calling tech support to obtain a part
>> number and then calling dell spare parts... but i am sure it will be
>> three or more times the price. your system came with an optical (cd)
>> drive that has what is called an ide or pata interface. most optical
>> drives on the market or in stores today have a sata interface that is
>> not compatible. your system could support a sata drive but it would
>> mean also getting a cable, activating the port in the bios, etc... not
>> worth the effort. also, installation instructions are found on
>> support.dell.com then clicking on 'manuals' from the left hand column,
>> selecting your machine and then selecting the 'service' manual.

your second optical drive is functionally the same as the model i
suggested from newegg. the one from newegg is a bit faster (22x vs your
8x) but unless you are burning discs all day it isn't that much of a
difference. since you have the other drive i wouldn't do a thing. your
dvdrw can do everything the defective cdrw was able to do and more (it
also burns and reads dvds). and you don't need two drives to make a
copy of a disc, you merely have to swap the original for the blank when
prompted by the burning software.