CD/DVD drive a USB device?

Ron Hardin

Latitude E5400, is the CD/DVD drive a USB device?

Two symptoms:

1. The drive shows up as E: rather than D:.
If you add an external HD to a USB port, the
external drive shows up as D:, so it's not as if
the letter is otherwise occupied.

2. The machine spontaneously said New Hardware
Discovered. Then after a while Some USB device
cannot be identified. Then after a while that
some USB device is malfunctioning. Then after a
while shut down fast, no BSOD, just power off.
(with no external HD connected).

On powering up, it seemed to come up normally as
it would for a crash, taking care of the
journaling file system properly, and waiting for
login, but the screen stayed dark, even through
the BIOS boot sequence.

Several power-off power-up failed to revive the
screen, though each time the HD flashing seemed
normal for coming up properly.

Removing AC power and letting it sit for a while
resolved it, and it now works properly, except for
#1, the E: drive for some reason.

Any clues what's going on? I'd favor connecting
the two, say bad CD/DVD drive, but don't know if
it can have any USB trouble connection.

The drive itself seems to work properly, but with
unusually noticeable vibration.
--
(E-Mail Removed)

Christopher Muto

On 12/8/2011 7:13 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> Latitude E5400, is the CD/DVD drive a USB device?
>
> Two symptoms:
>
> 1. The drive shows up as E: rather than D:.
> If you add an external HD to a USB port, the
> external drive shows up as D:, so it's not as if
> the letter is otherwise occupied.
>
> 2. The machine spontaneously said New Hardware
> Discovered. Then after a while Some USB device
> cannot be identified. Then after a while that
> some USB device is malfunctioning. Then after a
> while shut down fast, no BSOD, just power off.
> (with no external HD connected).
>
> On powering up, it seemed to come up normally as
> it would for a crash, taking care of the
> journaling file system properly, and waiting for
> login, but the screen stayed dark, even through
> the BIOS boot sequence.
>
> Several power-off power-up failed to revive the
> screen, though each time the HD flashing seemed
> normal for coming up properly.
>
> Removing AC power and letting it sit for a while
> resolved it, and it now works properly, except for
> #1, the E: drive for some reason.
>
> Any clues what's going on? I'd favor connecting
> the two, say bad CD/DVD drive, but don't know if
> it can have any USB trouble connection.
>
> The drive itself seems to work properly, but with
> unusually noticeable vibration.

the vibration is most likely a result of an un-balanced disc.
the inconsistent behaviour of drive detection is either due to the drive
not having a secure connection or it showing signs of failing. with the
system powered off, remove the retaining screw for the drive, slide out
the entire drive assembly, reinstall firmly, and replace the retaining
screw.