CD-ROM and Hard Drive on Same Cable

Watty

It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.) Is it not possible to
put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?

The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.

I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
removable drive a bit.

“Baseball is dull only to dull minds.” -- Red Barber

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

CJT

Watty wrote:

> It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
> have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
> stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
> However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
> to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
> possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
> pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
> system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
> I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
> no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.)

Try powering both up at once.

Is it not
> possible to
> put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?

It's possible.

> The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
> cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.
>
> I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
> positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
> removable drive a bit.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

W. Watson

They are both powered up at once. There's no other way. I'm not sure how
this helps detect whether the HD is alive. The CD drive has an LED, which
turns on immeidately.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

daytripper

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:19:25 GMT, Watty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
>have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
>stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
>However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
>to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
>possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
>pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
>system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
>I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
>no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.) Is it not possible to
>put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?
>
>The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
>cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.
>
>I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
>positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
>removable drive a bit.

The jumper possibilities could include:
Cable Detect/Not Cable Detect
Master/Slave

As for the cable, there's no signal on pin 20 anyway on IDE ports - it's
supposed to be the "key" pin - so it's not surprising you have a cable without
a crimp for that pin. You can put any properly configured ATAPI device on
either cable connector, whether hard drive, CDROM, tape drive, whatever...

/daytripper

W. Watson

daytripper wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:19:25 GMT, Watty <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my problem. I
>> have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
>> stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
>> However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master according
>> to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
>> possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
>> pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
>> system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems seated and
>> I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable container has
>> no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.) Is it not possible to
>> put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?
>>
>> The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
>> cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.
>>
>> I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the cable
>> positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of the
>> removable drive a bit.

> The jumper possibilities could include:
> Cable Detect/Not Cable Detect
> Master/Slave
>
> As for the cable, there's no signal on pin 20 anyway on IDE ports - it's
> supposed to be the "key" pin - so it's not surprising you have a cable without
> a crimp for that pin. You can put any properly configured ATAPI device on
> either cable connector, whether hard drive, CDROM, tape drive, whatever...
>
> /daytripper

Did you get started on a telescope? :-) We had a very good turn out for the
sky show Friday night. We do it again Aug. 10. Perseid meteor shower will be
active.

I think I'll put the HD from the slave position on the secondary controller
onto the same position on the primary. At least, I'll know if it's getting
power that way--no removable box to mess with.

(I'm just trying to get data off the old boot disk.)

--

W. Watson wrote:
> They are both powered up at once. There's no other way. I'm not sure how
> this helps detect whether the HD is alive. The CD drive has an LED,
> which turns on immeidately.

Next I would try taking the HD out of the carrier and attaching it
directly. You should also be able to hear/feel it spin up.

> CJT wrote:
>
>> Watty wrote:
>>

>>> It's been awhile since I played hook up with drives. Here's my
>>> problem. I
>>> have a CD-ROM drive at the end of a cable. It works fine. I thought I'd
>>> stick a HD in as a slave. It doesn't get detected. I made it a slave.
>>> However, I have no idea what the CD-ROM thinks it is--Ah, master
>>> according
>>> to BIOS. It looks like it has two jumpers. (What are the jumper
>>> possibilities for it?) It's a 56x Disc shown in BIOS as G6D M1.30. I'm
>>> pretty sure the cables are 48-pin. The HD is a boot disk from an older
>>> system, and is in a removable drive (handle on front). It seems
>>> seated and
>>> I'm pretty confident it's powered up, although the removable
>>> container has
>>> no LED. (I switched power with the CD-ROM to test it.)

>> Try powering both up at once.
>>
>> Is it not
>>
>>> possible to
>>> put a HD on the same cable with a CD-ROM?
>>>

>> It's possible.
>>
>>> The CD-ROM is on the end of it's cable. The connector at the end of the
>>> cable has one (center) pin missing, so I can't put the HD in it.
>>>
>>> I could put the HD on the same cable with my W2K boot-up HD, but the
>>> cable
>>> positioning is a little weird. I'd need to re-arrange the position of
>>> the
>>> removable drive a bit.

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

W. Watson

All is well. After moving stuff around a bit too much, I noticed I hadn't
put the jumper back in the slave position. Solved. Unfortunately, the file
I'm looking for was not on the old HDs.