CD Writing Problem/Question

JE

I have 4 Gateways that have the very same piece of software and cd medium
that I am trying to use to backup digital photos to cd's. 3 of the machines
and writers work just fine. The 4th, keeps giving me the following error
message when I try to write to a cd even though I burn cd's through other
programs without any problems:

"This CD-RW format is not supported. Please insert a different disc to
continue."

I have moved the writer from that machine and installed it on all 3 of the
others and it writes without any problem. The software people say it is the
writer, but as far as I can see, the writer is not the problem. Also, all 4
machines are running Windows Home XP sp2 and have just about the same amount
of memory etc..

What settings on the pc's might be different? Are there any settings to
look at?

Thanks!

--
Email no good, reply to group

Ben Myers

From what you described, the problem is 1000% caused by software. So... What
software are you using to burn CDs? Software to burn CD-RWs often requires
some special modules or programs different from the ones used to burn CD-Rs.

Also, please note that CD-RWs are not nearly as reliable as CD-Rs, so if you
place high value on any data, burn it onto CD-Rs... Ben Myers

On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:39:41 GMT, "JE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have 4 Gateways that have the very same piece of software and cd medium
>that I am trying to use to backup digital photos to cd's. 3 of the machines
>and writers work just fine. The 4th, keeps giving me the following error
>message when I try to write to a cd even though I burn cd's through other
>programs without any problems:
>
> "This CD-RW format is not supported. Please insert a different disc to
> continue."
>
> I have moved the writer from that machine and installed it on all 3 of the
>others and it writes without any problem. The software people say it is the
>writer, but as far as I can see, the writer is not the problem. Also, all 4
>machines are running Windows Home XP sp2 and have just about the same amount
>of memory etc..
>
> What settings on the pc's might be different? Are there any settings to
>look at?
>
> Thanks!

JE

I think I have boiled it down to a conflict with 2 programs that will burn
cd's and dvd's. I removed my Pinnacle Studio Plus that is for burning dvd's
and now the other program works. Possible conflict with the ATAPI
interface??

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From what you described, the problem is 1000% caused by software. So...
> What
> software are you using to burn CDs? Software to burn CD-RWs often
> requires
> some special modules or programs different from the ones used to burn
> CD-Rs.
>
> Also, please note that CD-RWs are not nearly as reliable as CD-Rs, so if
> you
> place high value on any data, burn it onto CD-Rs... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:39:41 GMT, "JE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have 4 Gateways that have the very same piece of software and cd
>> medium
>>that I am trying to use to backup digital photos to cd's. 3 of the
>>machines
>>and writers work just fine. The 4th, keeps giving me the following error
>>message when I try to write to a cd even though I burn cd's through other
>>programs without any problems:
>>
>> "This CD-RW format is not supported. Please insert a different disc to
>> continue."
>>
>> I have moved the writer from that machine and installed it on all 3 of
>> the
>>others and it writes without any problem. The software people say it is
>>the
>>writer, but as far as I can see, the writer is not the problem. Also, all
>>4
>>machines are running Windows Home XP sp2 and have just about the same
>>amount
>>of memory etc..
>>
>> What settings on the pc's might be different? Are there any settings to
>>look at?
>>
>> Thanks!

Ben Myers

Very likely, or very close. The low-level ATAPI CD/DVD burning interface is
actually a minor rework of the original SCSI CD/DVD burning command set. Many
CD/DVD burning packages hook themselves into the low-level CD/DVD burning
software and manage to muck it up for other packages... Ben Myers

On Thu, 31 May 2007 17:48:52 GMT, "JE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think I have boiled it down to a conflict with 2 programs that will burn
>cd's and dvd's. I removed my Pinnacle Studio Plus that is for burning dvd's
>and now the other program works. Possible conflict with the ATAPI
>interface??
>

>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> From what you described, the problem is 1000% caused by software. So...
>> What
>> software are you using to burn CDs? Software to burn CD-RWs often
>> requires
>> some special modules or programs different from the ones used to burn
>> CD-Rs.
>>
>> Also, please note that CD-RWs are not nearly as reliable as CD-Rs, so if
>> you
>> place high value on any data, burn it onto CD-Rs... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2007 15:39:41 GMT, "JE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have 4 Gateways that have the very same piece of software and cd
>>> medium
>>>that I am trying to use to backup digital photos to cd's. 3 of the
>>>machines
>>>and writers work just fine. The 4th, keeps giving me the following error
>>>message when I try to write to a cd even though I burn cd's through other
>>>programs without any problems:
>>>
>>> "This CD-RW format is not supported. Please insert a different disc to
>>> continue."
>>>
>>> I have moved the writer from that machine and installed it on all 3 of
>>> the
>>>others and it writes without any problem. The software people say it is
>>>the
>>>writer, but as far as I can see, the writer is not the problem. Also, all
>>>4
>>>machines are running Windows Home XP sp2 and have just about the same
>>>amount
>>>of memory etc..
>>>
>>> What settings on the pc's might be different? Are there any settings to
>>>look at?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

JE

Thanks Ben, guess I will have to go back to the drawing board!!