Chaintech VNF4 doesn't show anything on screen.

Hello everyone,

I bought a Chaintech VNF4 Ultra recently, and it doesn't show anything
on the screen. The fan's on the CPU, video card, and chipset are
spinning, and the power light is on so I know the motherboard is
receiving power. But it doesn't DO anything... nothing on the screen, no
beeps, nothing.

I'm suspecting that 4-pin connector on the motherboard? I thought only
P4's needed that. I've also heard that it was used for extra power for
SLI video cards. I got a 20-24pin adapter for the main power connector,
do those things work reliably?

Hardware:
Chaintech VNF4
PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 (PCIx16) (I've tried some PCI cards as well).
AMD Athlon 3000+ (939, Venice, E3 revision)
1 stick of 256mb pc2700 ram.

The manual and specs say the motherboard should work with pc2700
(166mhz), so that shouldn't be a problem. (I'll upgrade to dual channel
pc3200 later). My question is do I need to have two sticks in dual
channel for it to work, or is one enough to get something on the screen?
Do I need to put the stick in a specific slot? (Right now it's in the
one closest to the CPU)

The manual doesn't say very much at all.

Theres no hard disk or anything else connected (not sure what use a hard
disk is when your computer doesn't even begin to POST)

...And yes, the monitor is turned on :-P

doGG

X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:E2tcf.24855$Q27.17787@trnddc02:

<snip

> I'm suspecting that 4-pin connector on the motherboard? <snip>

You do need the 4 pin connector. Look on page 6 of your mb manual,(hope
it's like mine)figure 1-4 Layout. You need to put a 4 pin in socket PW3.
Then you will get POST!

doGG wrote:
> X <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:E2tcf.24855$Q27.17787@trnddc02:
>
> <snip
>> I'm suspecting that 4-pin connector on the motherboard? <snip>

> You do need the 4 pin connector. Look on page 6 of your mb manual,(hope
> it's like mine)figure 1-4 Layout. You need to put a 4 pin in socket PW3.
> Then you will get POST!

Thanks, it works now.

I needed some confirmation that it was necessary before building this:

http://dyerseve.dyndns.org:8081/000_0672.jpg

....because I don't want to wait a week for a real adapter to ship.

VNF4 Problems roah13 ECS 0 04-10-2006 06:32 PM
motherboard won't even show anything hdneto17 PC Hardware 2 02-03-2006 07:34 PM
VNF4 Ultra questions ranger Chaintech 0 10-17-2005 10:24 PM
VNF4 Ultra questions ranger Chaintech 0 10-16-2005 03:56 PM
vnf4 Ultra and sataII issues? Glen Roebuck Chaintech 1 08-15-2005 06:43 PM