Lucky

Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.

At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
is
primarily being used by my wife for accounting..

My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say that
the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not worth
attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we do
this sooner?"

One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard, mouse,
track pad, and the display.

This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
be getting a new
Mac laptop.

Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.

Lucky

BillW50

On 3/15/2011 2:28 PM, Lucky wrote:
> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
> As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
> successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers...

Pick the applications that you want to run and then pick the OS that
will run them. Pretty simple, eh?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

Rich

"Lucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:95Pfp.1293$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
> As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
> successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
>
> At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
> only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
> is
> primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
>
> My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
> comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
> The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say
> that the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not
> worth
> attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we
> do this sooner?"
>
> One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
> concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
> appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard,
> mouse, track pad, and the display.
>
> This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
> expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
> be getting a new
> Mac laptop.
>
> Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
> better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
>
> Lucky

I think it is common knowledge going back 25 years that Apple owned the
commercial graphics design niche. Among the general public it only emerged
in 2007 from minority cult status with their renewal through the
"I-Everything" revolution. I am a PC person but that revolution was genius.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5956 (20110315) __________

http://www.eset.com

powrwrap

> On Mar 15, 4:41*pm, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think it is common knowledge going back 25 years that Apple owned the
> commercial graphics design niche.

Indeed. Back in the 80's when I was working in the physical sciences,
MacIntoshes were derisively referred to as "electronic crayons."

Bob Villa

On Mar 15, 2:28*pm, "Lucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
> As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
> successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
>
> At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
> only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
> is
> primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
>
> My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. *From the
> comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
> The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say that
> the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not worth
> attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we do
> this sooner?"
>
> One of them recently made the comment *that as far as apparent quality is
> concerned, the IMac is far and above, *a higher quality computer, in
> appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard, mouse,
> track pad, and the display.
>
> This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
> expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
> be getting a new
> Mac laptop.
>
> Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
> better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
>
> Lucky

As someone has said these are average reliability computers that are
over-priced...and can run Mac-Ro-Soft.

Bob Levine

On 3/15/2011 3:28 PM, Lucky wrote:
> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
> As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
> successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
>
> At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today
> we only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently
> on---which is
> primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
>
> My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
> comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
> The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say
> that the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is
> not worth
> attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we
> do this sooner?"
>
> One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
> concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
> appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard,
> mouse, track pad, and the display.
>
> This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
> expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she
> will be getting a new
> Mac laptop.
>
> Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
> better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
>
> Lucky

Care to give the specs of the machines you're comparing? A new 27" iMac
is going to have a Core i5 or Core i7 processor and at least 4 gigs of
RAM. Comparing that to an older Dell is simply an unfair comparison.

And just for the record, I don't really care. I've said over and over
again people should use what they like and feel most comfortable with.
I'm a graphic design professional myself. I prefer working on Windows 7
over Snow Leopard but I have a MacBook for clients on Mac.

I find it funny that the things you specified, "keyboard, mouse, track
pad and display" have NOTHING to do at all with the computer itself. I
happen to despise Mac keyboards. They're too small and so totally
unergonomic as to be unusable. But I will admit, they look pretty.

The mice they supply now are also highly advanced in looks but if these
folks are using InDesign they might run into some scrolling problems.

Finally, these are NEW Macs. Come on back in 6-10 months and let us know
how you're getting on. That will be real test.

Bob

RnR

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 12:28:04 -0700, "Lucky" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
>As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
>successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
>
>At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
>only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
>is
>primarily being used by my wife for accounting..
>
>My employees have all successfully made the change to Apples. From the
>comments I have been receiving, they are extremely pleased.
>The two that are doing the bulk of the graphics design on 27" IMacs say that
>the new Apples are so far superior for graphics design that it is not worth
>attempting to make comparisons. The most heard comment is "Why didn't we do
>this sooner?"
>
>One of them recently made the comment that as far as apparent quality is
>concerned, the IMac is far and above, a higher quality computer, in
>appearance, construction, and operation. IE, the use of the keyboard, mouse,
>track pad, and the display.
>
>This only Dell remaining in use is an Inspiron 1705. Since my wife is
>expressing her displeasure on an almost daily basis, it is likely she will
>be getting a new
>Mac laptop.
>
>Best to all of you. I sincerely hope that you have better luck and get
>better support from Dell than I have for the last couple of years.
>
>Lucky

Lucky, glad all is well. Apparently nothing new here as many years
ago, I heard graphic artists prefered Apple then. With this said,
I'm surprised you didn't read this also. I do agree with the other
poster tho, pick your apps first then pick your OS or system to run
it. So you goofed and cost yourself money. Personally I like Dell
because I don't use their support and if I need support, I find plenty
right here with a great bunch of people (ok, most of them) !!!
Actually I've been pretty lucky with Dell overall ... not perfect but
good enough for me to be a repeat customer.

In closing, glad you found what works best for you.

Daddy

Lucky wrote:
> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple....

Who cares. You were just looking for an argument.

Daddy

Von Fourche

"Lucky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:95Pfp.1293$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, guys, as promised. An update on our change over from Dell to Apple.
> As of today, our company, which is in the graphics arts business, has
> successfully switched from all Dell computers to Apple computers.
>
> At one time we were operating as many as 5 Dell Computers. As of today we
> only have 1 still remaining in use. The one that I am currently on---which
> is
> primarily being used by my wife for accounting..

I have two Dell computers but I want to buy Final Cut Pro. What kind of
Mac should I buy to run Final Cut Pro
good? I want to edit miniDV and HD video.

Bob Levine

On 3/16/2011 7:13 PM, Von Fourche wrote:

> I have two Dell computers but I want to buy Final Cut Pro. What kind of
> Mac should I buy to run Final Cut Pro
> good? I want to edit miniDV and HD video.

The 27" iMacs are nice. If you're going to be doing a lot of video you
might want to up the standard 4 gigs of RAM to 8 gigs.

Bob