Change of Server IP Address causes no user logins to work on 10.4 server

tpennacchia

Hey guys,

I am mainly a Windows Administrator by day; however, the radio station
that I am involved is an all Mac environment.

The college that is essentially their ISP changed IP addresses for the
server and after this happened, people can no longer use their network
user accounts on the Mac OS X server; however, they can mount groups.
Any suggestions of what else is need or might be wrong?

Thanks much,

Toni P.

ZnU

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"tpennacchia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I am mainly a Windows Administrator by day; however, the radio station
> that I am involved is an all Mac environment.
>
> The college that is essentially their ISP changed IP addresses for the
> server and after this happened, people can no longer use their network
> user accounts on the Mac OS X server; however, they can mount groups.
> Any suggestions of what else is need or might be wrong?

I assume we're talking about Open Directory accounts?

Changing the IP in the Network preference pane doesn't automatically
change it everywhere it's used. In particular, if the clients were
finding the Open Directory server through DHCP, the DHCP server has to
be updated to give the right address. Also, Open Directory
authentication requires that DNS for the server work *in both
directions*, so check that reverse DNS works for the new IP.

--
"That's George Washington, the first president, of course. The interesting thing
about him is that I read three--three or four books about him last year. Isn't
- George W. Bush to reporter Kai Diekmann, May 5, 2006