Changing an old @mac.com AppleID?

BreadWithSpam@fractious.net

I'm getting mixed messages from Apple about this.

My AppleID is quite old. It's one of the @mac.com ones.
I can use the equivalent @me.com one and it works identically.

But I'd rather that the ID were my real e-mail address.

Apple seems to be claiming here that if you don't have
a @me.com or @mac.com e-mail address as your AppleID you
can just go ahead and change your AppleID online. But
if you do have one of those, there is no option to change it.

(verified - unlike what you see on this page:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40
when I go, there is no Edit button near my AppleID)

However, on this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37
they say the following:

Apple recommends you change your Apple ID to your current,
working email address. This will not create another Apple ID, it
will only change it to your working email address. See How to
change the name you use for your Apple ID if you'd like more
information.

Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs can not be renamed. If you no
longer use the .mac or .me email address, be sure to update your
Apple ID information with your current, preferred email address

So I'm not following that last note. I can't change it, so what
are they trying to tell me to do here?

I mean, okay, it's not a big deal. I've never used my
@mac.com or @me.com address for anything whatsoever other
than Apple anyway. But it's a bit annoying.

What am I missing here?

Alan Browne

I now have my account under my main e-mail, @me.com and @mac.com
addresses. For that matter I think I have two @me.coms...

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Wayne C. Morris

wrote:

> Apple seems to be claiming here that if you don't have
> a @me.com or @mac.com e-mail address as your AppleID you
> can just go ahead and change your AppleID online. But
> if you do have one of those, there is no option to change it.
>
> (verified - unlike what you see on this page:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40
> when I go, there is no Edit button near my AppleID)

It's not a button, just a link consisting of the word "Edit".

When you go to that page, do you see the "Add Email Address" link near the
bottom? Try using that to add your real email address. If that works, see if
it'll let you choose it as your "Primary Email Address".

> However, on this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HE37
> they say the following:

[...]
> Note: @mac.com and @me.com Apple IDs can not be renamed. If you no
> longer use the .mac or .me email address, be sure to update your
> Apple ID information with your current, preferred email address
>
> So I'm not following that last note. I can't change it, so what
> are they trying to tell me to do here?

I believe it means you can't change your *Apple ID*, but you can change the
*email address* associated with that Apple ID.