Cheap GSM/GPRS/EDGE modem ?

Mike

Hi,

I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
seem really expensive at 80+ for a sample. I already have a tcp
stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
doesn't haev a built in stack ?

Thanks,

Mike

steve

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:20:55 PM UTC+1, Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
> seem really expensive at 80+ for a sample. I already have a tcp
> stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
> anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
> doesn't haev a built in stack ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Wismo 228 comes in at around $30 dollars (16)(Sierra wireless)and has a tcp stack.

Mark Borgerson

In article <dd18b761-62c8-48b1-8d70-
(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
> seem really expensive at 80+ for a sample. I already have a tcp
> stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
> anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
> doesn't haev a built in stack ?

Check out this $50 module at Sparkfun Electronics:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10138

Mark Borgerson

peter_gotkatov@supergreatmail.com

On Jun 26, 9:20*am, Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a GSM etc modem module like eg the ublox Leon but they
> seem really expensive at 80+ for a sample. *I already have a tcp
> stack so don't really need that to be built into the modem so can
> anyone tell me whare I can find an economical aklternative that
> doesn't haev a built in stack ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

The modules from SIMCOM are fairly low price. The SIM900B lists for
$17.89 USD in single quantity.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html
I haven't used them personally (I've only used Wavecom and Telit) but
I've seen them used in several other products and they appear to work
reliably without any issues.

Mike

> The modules from SIMCOM are fairly low price. The SIM900B lists for
> $17.89 USD in single quantity.http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...sm-gprs-module...
> I haven't used them personally (I've only used Wavecom and Telit) but
> I've seen them used in several other products and they appear to work
> reliably without any issues.

That's a bit more like it !

Thanks for that,

Mike

hemo

Mike, another alternative is QUECTEL: M10, M85, M95 Modules
www.quectel.com
I heard that they are 10% cheaper than SIMCOM.
I haven't used them.