Checking continuity between hot and neutral checks fuse?

Terry

I know electricity, but very little about electronics.

Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

KG

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know electricity, but very little about electronics.
>
>Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
>the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

*****************
Thank You (E-Mail Removed)

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

KG

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know electricity, but very little about electronics.
>
>Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
>the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

NO, At what ohm value? Are you looking back at the power supply with it not connected, or are you
just checking between any ground and a connection ovenware on the + power? A backcitcuit, high
resistance, or bad ground on the power be checked may cause the same indication. How good and what
type of meter is being used?
*****************

On Jul 23, 7:37 am, KG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:40:51 -0700, Terry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I know electricity, but very little about electronics.

> >Would continuity between the hot and neutral positively tell you if
> >the fuse is good on a power supply for a computer?

> NO, At what ohm value? Are you looking back at the power supply with it not connected, or are you
> just checking between any ground and a connection ovenware on the + power? A backcitcuit, high
> resistance, or bad ground on the power be checked may cause the same indication. How good and what
> type of meter is being used?
> *****************
> Thank You (E-Mail Removed)
>
> To reply to this email please remove the AT
> after the kGb in the reply to address as shown above.

Take the measurments at the back of the computer with the power cord
unplugged. The tester could be as simple as a test light. Contunity
means a complete current path.

I was talking about putting each lead of the ohm meter on the power
supply terminals that connect to the power cord. There are 3 "stabs"
on the power supply. The hot, neutral and ground.

I looked at a couple of schematics after I posted the message. It
shows the first thing on the primary side of the transformer circuit
is a fuse. It is wired in series at the hot stab of the power
supply. The way I see it, you would never get continuity between hot
and neutral if the fuse is bad.

Of course continuity does not guarantee that the power supply is good,
but I think it would 100% tell you if the fuse is good. No?

Thank you for your time

Non-intrusive continuity test Andrew Smallshaw Embedded 4 09-06-2011 07:13 AM
Virus Virus Virus, Was: HOT HOT HOT Don Taylor Abit 0 11-01-2003 11:23 PM
Re: HOT HOT HOT David H. Lipman AOpen 0 11-01-2003 09:58 PM
A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming language Pete Gray Embedded 13 07-26-2003 01:18 AM
Re: A microcontroller-centric, target-neutral programming language Gary Kato Embedded 2 07-23-2003 11:30 PM