CLI FTP on Lion

Wes Groleau

ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed) <filepath>

results in

ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

in contradiction of its man page.

Anyone suggest another simple way?

wget is one-way.

man curl says it is two-way, but Usage implies one-way

--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
Everybody believes an experimental analysis — except the guy who did it.
— Unknown

Warren Oates

In article <jju2kp$ttv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed) <filepath>
>
> results in
>
> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way
better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.

http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

Wes Groleau

On 03-15-2012 21:34, Warren Oates wrote:

> Wes Groleau<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed)<filepath>
>>
>> results in
>>
>> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

> I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way

How would you use a browser for command line FTP ?

> better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.
>
> http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

Like I said, ftp claims to support it. But this is certainly worth
investigating. Thanks.

--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
Everybody believes an experimental analysis — except the guy who did it.
— Unknown

Barry Margolin

In article <jju2kp$ttv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed) <filepath>
>
> results in
>
> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'
>
> in contradiction of its man page.
>
> Anyone suggest another simple way?
>
> wget is one-way.
>
> man curl says it is two-way, but Usage implies one-way

Try:

ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed)/ <filepath>

You need the '/' at the end.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Wes Groleau

On 03-15-2012 21:48, Wes Groleau wrote:
> On 03-15-2012 21:34, Warren Oates wrote:
>
>> Wes Groleau<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed)<filepath>
>>>
>>> results in
>>>
>>> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

>> I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way

> How would you use a browser for command line FTP ?
>
>> better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.
>>
>> http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

> Like I said, ftp claims to support it. But this is certainly worth
> investigating. Thanks.

Seems to have worked. Some odd error messages but they didn't prevent
the upload.

--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
Everybody believes an experimental analysis — except the guy who did it.
— Unknown

JF Mezei

Wes Groleau wrote:
> ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed) <filepath>

Yo may need to provide a fully specified URL for the destination such as:

ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed)/mydir/myfile.txt <filepath>

Paul Sture

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:34:47 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:

> In article <jju2kp$ttv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ftp -u ftp://user(E-Mail Removed) <filepath>
>>
>> results in
>>
>> ftp: Invalid URL `ftp://'

> I'd probably use a browser for that. Or download ncftp, which is a way
> better implementation of an ftp client, and supports that kind of thing.
>
> http://www.ncftp.com/ncftp/

ncftp works nicely in cron jobs too. Before I got ssh access to my
hosting ISP, standard ftp would often crap out but ncftp was pretty solid.

--
Paul Sture

Wes Groleau

On 03-15-2012 21:48, Wes Groleau wrote:
> Like I said, ftp claims to support it. But this is certainly worth
> investigating. Thanks.

Yep,
ncftpput -f .UG -m 1 $(find UG -type f -mtime -1 -print | grep -v svn)
is an excellent way to keep a website updated.

--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
Everybody believes an experimental analysis — except the guy who did it.
— Unknown

System update installations seem to fail after I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion Juan I. Cahis Apple 5 12-16-2012 01:31 PM
Some Macs that run Lion won't run Mountain Lion Michelle Steiner Apple 15 02-19-2012 07:07 PM
New Apple pages (Cloud, iOS5, Lion) Lion preview Alan Browne Apple 0 06-06-2011 07:25 PM
Active FTP vs. passive FTP Paw Apple 2 12-30-2010 10:56 PM
NAT: Ftp fails, wget ftp is fine? Evan Platt Apple 7 12-20-2006 01:26 PM