cloning with SuperDuper! 2.5" to 2.5"

Jstein

Hi everyone,

I am trying to clone my Mac HD to another HD. I have used SuperDuper!
in the past to clone my Mac Book Pro to an external which has worked
out great for me. In the coming weeks I will be doing some extensive
traveling for work and I would like to carry a (bootable) backup of my
HD on an extra 2.5" drive I have kicking around. (My normal external
HD is rather large and I do not want to lug it around in my travels).
Is there an easy way to make a bootable copy of my HD to a 2.5"
drive? I have read that I can make a copy of the drive using my
install disc to get into disk utility. Could I use another Macbook to
plug the back up drive into temporarily and somehow transfer the data
through firewire? I wonder if the I could put the Mac book I am
borrowing into target disk mode and transfer. Any help would be much
appreciated as I am at a total loss as to what to do!

Thanks in advance

-Jesse

TaliesinSoft

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:51:37 -0500, Jstein wrote (in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to clone my Mac HD to another HD. I have used SuperDuper! in
> the past to clone my Mac Book Pro to an external which has worked out
> great for me. In the coming weeks I will be doing some extensive
> traveling for work and I would like to carry a (bootable) backup of my HD
> on an extra 2.5" drive I have kicking around. (My normal external HD is
> rather large and I do not want to lug it around in my travels). Is there
> an easy way to make a bootable copy of my HD to a 2.5" drive? I have read
> that I can make a copy of the drive using my install disc to get into disk
> utility. Could I use another Macbook to plug the back up drive into
> temporarily and somehow transfer the data through firewire? I wonder if
> the I could put the Mac book I am borrowing into target disk mode and
> transfer. Any help would be much appreciated as I am at a total loss as
> to what to do!
>
> Thanks in advance

Am I missing something here? SuperDuper! can indeed make bootable backup onto
an external firewire drive.

--
James Leo Ryan ..... Austin, Texas ..... (E-Mail Removed)

Heather Hendricks

On Jun 10, 6:43*pm, Tim Lance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:03:52 -0500, TaliesinSoft wrote
> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) ET>):
>

> > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:51:37 -0500, Jstein wrote (in article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> >> Hi everyone,

> >> I am trying to clone my Mac HD to another HD. *I have used SuperDuper! in
> >> the past to clone my Mac Book Pro to an external which has worked out
> >> great for me. *In the coming weeks I will be doing some extensive
> >> traveling for work and I would like to carry a (bootable) backup of myHD
> >> on an extra 2.5" drive I have kicking around. (My normal external HD is
> >> rather large and I do not want to lug it around in my travels). Is there
> >> an easy way to make a bootable copy of my HD to a 2.5" drive? *I have read
> >> that I can make a copy of the drive using my install disc to get into disk
> >> utility. *Could I use another Macbook to plug the back up drive into
> >> temporarily and somehow transfer the data through firewire? *I wonder if
> >> the I could put the Mac book I am borrowing into target disk mode and
> >> transfer. *Any help would be much appreciated as I am at a total loss as
> >> to what to do!

> >> Thanks in advance

> > Am I missing something here? SuperDuper! can indeed make bootable backup onto
> > an external firewire drive.

> External USB, too. Is what I use.
>
> --
>
> Tim
> (E-Mail Removed)

I apologize...perhaps I didn't clarify. The external HD that i have
and the 2.5" drive are two separate items. The 2.5" drive is an
internal laptop drive. I would like to back up my data onto the 2.5
internal drive so in the event of a HD failure, I could swap the
drives and be back in business.

Claude V. Lucas

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Heather Hendricks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Jun 10, 6:43*pm, Tim Lance <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:03:52 -0500, TaliesinSoft wrote
>> (in article <(E-Mail Removed) ET>):
>>

>> > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:51:37 -0500, Jstein wrote (in article
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)>):

>> > Am I missing something here? SuperDuper! can indeed make bootable backup onto
>> > an external firewire drive.

>> External USB, too. Is what I use.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tim
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>I apologize...perhaps I didn't clarify. The external HD that i have
>and the 2.5" drive are two separate items. The 2.5" drive is an
>internal laptop drive. I would like to back up my data onto the 2.5
>internal drive so in the event of a HD failure, I could swap the
>drives and be back in business.

You need to put it in an external drive case that has the proper interface
to work with the drive and with your laptop unless you want to hack together
some sort of SATA <> Firewire/USB bridge and I think if you were up for that,
you wouldnt be asking in here about it...

It's simple enough to do, and there are small ones designed for travel.

OT cloning WD80SE to sata 160maxtor OverKlocker Asus 3 12-06-2003 04:59 PM
Cloning a Drive markjen Asus 17 10-27-2003 02:55 PM
Re: Cloning a Drive Nitrof Asus 0 10-25-2003 07:01 PM
Re: Cloning a Drive Nitrof Asus 2 10-25-2003 05:03 PM
Monitor cloning BigFNDeal Asus 9 09-12-2003 12:36 AM