W. Watson

I have an ABIT KD7A processor, and CMOS does not seem to hold its charge
very well. Each time I reboot, I need to reset dates, etc. I discovered this
problem when my machine would not come up in any way. PSU, CPU, and MB all
seemed dead. I discovered that the 3v batter was reading 2.8v, so replaced
it. Actually, just taking it out of the computer brought it to life. After
awhile, I put in the new battery. It seems like it took repeated uses to get
cmos charged up. It worked fine for a few days, but now, with the battery
still in, it has gone back to losing cmos each time I boot. The battery is
not hot. Suggestions?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Arno Wagner

Previously W. Watson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an ABIT KD7A processor, and CMOS does not seem to hold its charge
> very well. Each time I reboot, I need to reset dates, etc. I discovered this
> problem when my machine would not come up in any way. PSU, CPU, and MB all
> seemed dead. I discovered that the 3v batter was reading 2.8v, so replaced
> it. Actually, just taking it out of the computer brought it to life. After
> awhile, I put in the new battery. It seems like it took repeated uses to get
> cmos charged up. It worked fine for a few days, but now, with the battery
> still in, it has gone back to losing cmos each time I boot. The battery is
> not hot. Suggestions?

Hwat it the current battery voltage? If it is <3V, the something is
draining it. That coukld well be an additional buffer capacitor
(elecrolyte), since they develop leaks after some years. The way to
really diagnose this is to measure how much current is taken from
the battery. If it is a capacitor wioth low isolation resistance,
then it has to be removed or replaced as final fix.

Arno

W. Watson

I replaced it with a new battery shortly after discovering the problem and
it didn't help. The voltage remained above +3, and probably still is. I was
unexpectedly called out of town for 6 days and just got back.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: <speckledwithStars.net>

Arno Wagner

Previously W. Watson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I replaced it with a new battery shortly after discovering the problem and
> it didn't help. The voltage remained above +3, and probably still is. I was
> unexpectedly called out of town for 6 days and just got back.

Have a look at the voltage again. Still > 3v?

Arno