Michelle Steiner

I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the Users
folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups preferences.

What's with that?

-- Michelle

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

David Empson

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the Users
> folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups preferences.
>
> What's with that?

Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
/Users/cocoa.

Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Michelle Steiner

In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
> > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
> > preferences.
> >
> > What's with that?

> Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
> /Users/cocoa.
>
> Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Tom Stiller

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
> > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
> > > preferences.
> > >
> > > What's with that?

> > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
> > /Users/cocoa.
> >
> > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

> I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

It is neither a user nor a group?

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

Barry Margolin

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
> > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
> > > preferences.
> > >
> > > What's with that?

> > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
> > /Users/cocoa.
> >
> > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

> I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

There's a system database that lists all the user accounts. Creating a
folder doesn't add to that database.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

sbt

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
> > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
> > > preferences.
> > >
> > > What's with that?

> > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
> > /Users/cocoa.
> >
> > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

> I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

For the same reason that Shared (also a subfolder of /Users) doesn't
show up as a user or group. It isn't either a user or a group (no uid
or gid, for example).

--
Spenser

Wayne C. Morris

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > > I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the
> > > Users folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups
> > > preferences.
> > >
> > > What's with that?

> > Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
> > /Users/cocoa.
> >
> > Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

> I'm more curious as to why it doesn't show up in Users & Groups.

1) Something created the folder without creating a user account.

2) Something created it for a user with a UID less than 501. Users with UID
below 501 are used for things like server processes, and aren't shown in the
Users & Groups pane.

Did you do a Get Info on the folder to see when it was created and who owns it?

Michelle Steiner

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
"Wayne C. Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did you do a Get Info on the folder to see when it was created and who owns
> it?

It was created on April 11, 2010, and modified on April 26, 2011. Curious
that I had never noticed it before.

The creator is shown as "Fetching..." and is greyed out. The icon is a
user icon with an exclamation point badge. In other words, it doesn't know
who the creator is.

Its Library folder is empty. I'm going to trash it.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

George Kerby

On 3/29/12 7:30 AM, in article
chine.bleu-6D35DD.05305829032012@new...-september.org, "China Blue
Water Navy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1khqk8z.u7ahk8oh2snuN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
>> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I just noticed that there's a user folder named "cocoa" inside the Users
>>> folder. But it does not appear in the Users & Groups preferences.
>>>
>>> What's with that?

>> Something that was running on your computer created a folder called
>> /Users/cocoa.
>>
>> Tracking it down would be rather tricky after the fact.

> A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude
> and
> spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help
> me?
> I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I
> am."
>
> The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're in a hot air balloon,
> approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level.
> You
> are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes
> west longitude.
>
> "She rolled her eyes and said, "You must be an Obama Democrat."
>
> "I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"
>
> "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you told me is technically
> correct.
> But I have no idea what to do with your information, and I'm still lost.
> Frankly, you've not been much help to me."
>
> The man smiled and responded, "You must be a Republican."
>
> "I am," replied the balloonist. "How did you know?"
>
> "Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you are going.
> You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a
> promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem.
> You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow,
> now
> it's my fault."

That was a Democrat, maybe a woman, but definitely a Democrat...

Wes Groleau

On 03-29-2012 20:58, George Kerby wrote:
> That was a Democrat, maybe a woman, but definitely a Democrat...

It was a politician of either flavor. They talk _very_ differently,
yet somehow their screw-ups have the same results. And they always
blame the other party and/or previous administration.

--
Wes Groleau

“There are more people worthy of blame
than there is blame to go around."