"Code 10" Error

Harvey Gratt

I was helping a friend with his Inspiron 2650 (win xp) laptop. During
the course of tying to get a router set up, we suddenly lost the
integrated ethernet network adaptor.

The machine would detect new hardware, but could not find the
appropriate driver on his hard drive or on the supplied DELL drivers CD.
When I tried a manual install via the wizard, I was able to see a list
of network adaptors. I picked what I thought was the correct one (3com
3c920 integrated lan). The wizard said it was not approved but I
installed it anyway.

A subsequent reboot and check of the device manager yielded a yellow
question mark with the code 10 message that the device cannot be
started. Any help would be appreciated in getting the adaptor reinstalled.

Thanks,
Harvey

Christopher Muto

best bet is to try to roll back the driver...
start-mycomputer(rightclick)-properties-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-click on
the network adapter and then select properties, then click the drivers tab,
and then click roll back driver.

"Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I was helping a friend with his Inspiron 2650 (win xp) laptop. During
> the course of tying to get a router set up, we suddenly lost the
> integrated ethernet network adaptor.
>
> The machine would detect new hardware, but could not find the
> appropriate driver on his hard drive or on the supplied DELL drivers CD.
> When I tried a manual install via the wizard, I was able to see a list
> of network adaptors. I picked what I thought was the correct one (3com
> 3c920 integrated lan). The wizard said it was not approved but I
> installed it anyway.
>
> A subsequent reboot and check of the device manager yielded a yellow
> question mark with the code 10 message that the device cannot be
> started. Any help would be appreciated in getting the adaptor reinstalled.
>
> Thanks,
> Harvey

Harvey Gratt

Already tried that to no avail (it said there was nothing to roll back
to). Also, tried a restore point from several days earlier without success.

Thanks,
Harvey

Christopher Muto wrote:

> best bet is to try to roll back the driver...
> start-mycomputer(rightclick)-properties-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-click on
> the network adapter and then select properties, then click the drivers tab,
> and then click roll back driver.
>
> "Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>I was helping a friend with his Inspiron 2650 (win xp) laptop. During
>>the course of tying to get a router set up, we suddenly lost the
>>integrated ethernet network adaptor.
>>
>>The machine would detect new hardware, but could not find the
>>appropriate driver on his hard drive or on the supplied DELL drivers CD.
>>When I tried a manual install via the wizard, I was able to see a list
>>of network adaptors. I picked what I thought was the correct one (3com
>>3c920 integrated lan). The wizard said it was not approved but I
>>installed it anyway.
>>
>>A subsequent reboot and check of the device manager yielded a yellow
>>question mark with the code 10 message that the device cannot be
>>started. Any help would be appreciated in getting the adaptor reinstalled.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Harvey

Christopher Muto

the integrated nic is the 3c920. i suggest that you download the latest
driver from support.dell.com and then delete the device from system
properties, then shut down, and supply the downloaded driver when it detects
the new hardware upon restart. i wonder if this has to do with having the
computer hibernate... see this article which may apply:

> Already tried that to no avail (it said there was nothing to roll back
> to). Also, tried a restore point from several days earlier without

success.

> Thanks,
> Harvey
>
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>
> > best bet is to try to roll back the driver...

start-mycomputer(rightclick)-properties-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-click on
> > the network adapter and then select properties, then click the drivers

tab,
> > and then click roll back driver.
> >
> > "Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> >>I was helping a friend with his Inspiron 2650 (win xp) laptop. During
> >>the course of tying to get a router set up, we suddenly lost the
> >>integrated ethernet network adaptor.
> >>
> >>The machine would detect new hardware, but could not find the
> >>appropriate driver on his hard drive or on the supplied DELL drivers CD.
> >>When I tried a manual install via the wizard, I was able to see a list
> >>of network adaptors. I picked what I thought was the correct one (3com
> >>3c920 integrated lan). The wizard said it was not approved but I
> >>installed it anyway.
> >>
> >>A subsequent reboot and check of the device manager yielded a yellow
> >>question mark with the code 10 message that the device cannot be
> >>started. Any help would be appreciated in getting the adaptor

reinstalled.

> >>Thanks,
> >>Harvey

Harvey Gratt

Thanks. I will have try this in the next few days.

Harvey

Christopher Muto wrote:

> the integrated nic is the 3c920. i suggest that you download the latest
> driver from support.dell.com and then delete the device from system
> properties, then shut down, and supply the downloaded driver when it detects
> the new hardware upon restart. i wonder if this has to do with having the
> computer hibernate... see this article which may apply:
>
> "Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Already tried that to no avail (it said there was nothing to roll back
>>to). Also, tried a restore point from several days earlier without

> success.
>
>>Thanks,
>>Harvey
>>
>>Christopher Muto wrote:
>>

>>>best bet is to try to roll back the driver...
>>>

> start-mycomputer(rightclick)-properties-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-click on
>
>>>the network adapter and then select properties, then click the drivers

> tab,
>
>>>and then click roll back driver.
>>>
>>>"Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> reinstalled.

Harvey Gratt

Did not work. He will be calling DELL shortly.

Thanks for your help,
Harvey

Harvey Gratt wrote:
> Thanks. I will have try this in the next few days.
>
> Harvey
>
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>
>> the integrated nic is the 3c920. i suggest that you download the latest
>> driver from support.dell.com and then delete the device from system
>> properties, then shut down, and supply the downloaded driver when it
>> detects
>> the new hardware upon restart. i wonder if this has to do with having
>> the
>> computer hibernate... see this article which may apply:
>>
>> "Harvey Gratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> Already tried that to no avail (it said there was nothing to roll back
>>> to). Also, tried a restore point from several days earlier without

>> success.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harvey

>> start-mycomputer(rightclick)-properties-hardware(tab)-devicemanager-click
>> on

>> tab,

>> reinstalled.

Junior Member

Any Luck guys? I just had the same deal with my dell 8200 even did a system wipe nada let me know