Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

How come no drives are shown on Lion/Mac OS X 10.7.x's desktops anymore?

 
 
Ant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi!

I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
change this design?

Thank you in advance.
--
"I don't know how good ants are at swimmin', but I'd be willing to bet
that a good fire'd get their attention." --MacGyver in Trumbo's World
episode
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 09:29 PM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi!


> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
> desktop.


Yes it does.

> I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
> change this design?


They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.

--
'What can I do? I'm only human,' he said aloud. Someone said, Not all
of you. --Pyramids
"Here comes sunrise. Yeah, here's your sunrise. I used to hide from the
sun, tried to live my whole life underground, why'd you have to rise and
ruin all my fun? Just turn over; close the curtains on the day."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PhillipJones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Ant wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
> desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
> change this design?
>
> Thank you in advance.


You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
also what shows in the sidebar.
 
Reply With Quote
 
PhillipJones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Lewis wrote:
> In message<eIWdnU89g9gWo0PSnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@earthlink .com>
> Ant<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi!

>
>> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
>> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
>> desktop.

>
> Yes it does.
>
>> I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
>> change this design?

>
> They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.
>

The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
display was not preset on.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
On 6/17/2012 3:36 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:

>>> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
>>> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
>>> desktop.

>>
>> Yes it does.
>>
>>> I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
>>> change this design?

>>
>> They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.
>>

> The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
> though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
> display was not preset on.


Ah thanks, but why did Apple change the default to hide them? That seems
to mess up usability IMO.
--
"... Something wrong with the gun," he said. "But what if there is?
They'll get it right again. And even if there's a delay, how can it
alter the end? It's just men and ants. There's the ants builds their
cities, live their lives, have wars, revolutions, until the men want
them out of the way, and then they go out of the way. That's what we are
now -- just ants. Only --" "Yes," "We're eatable ants..." --H.G. Wells'
The War of the Worlds
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 11:00 PM
On 6/17/2012 3:34 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:

>> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
>> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
>> desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
>> change this design?

>
> You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
> They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
> are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
> will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
> also what shows in the sidebar.


[sighs]
--
"The evaluator counts the ants at the picnic of progress." --Mohan Singh
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6/17/2012 3:36 PM PT, PhillipJones typed:


>>>> I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
>>>> noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
>>>> desktop.
>>>
>>> Yes it does.
>>>
>>>> I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
>>>> change this design?
>>>
>>> They didn't. Finder -> Preferences -> General.
>>>

>> The difference is up to Snow Leopard the showing of Hard Drives even
>> though could be turned off or on. What's Different is That Hard drive
>> display was not preset on.


> Ah thanks, but why did Apple change the default to hide them? That seems
> to mess up usability IMO.


Not really. Most people either have nothing on their desktop at all, or
have EVERYTHING on their desktops. having the drive there doesn't help
in either case.

--
It's better to burn out than it is to rust -- Neil Young as quoted be
Kurt Cobain
I WAS NOT TOUCHED "THERE" BY AN ANGEL Bart chalkboard Ep. BABF14
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Hewitt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 11:23 PM
PhillipJones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ant wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have been using old Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.2.x for many years, but
> > noticed 10.7.x/Lion do not show connected/mounted drives anymore on
> > desktop. I do see them in Finder, but that's annoying now. Why did Apple
> > change this design?
> >
> > Thank you in advance.

>
> You can go to Finder Preferences. and reset so that hard drives show.
> They are dumbing down computers. the new breed of Programmers at apple
> are assuming the people using Computers are a bunch of dumbasses and
> will screw up their computers if they look inside the hard drive. And
> also what shows in the sidebar.


FWIW, in my experience of helping the old fogies with their various
computer problems, this is actually a good thing. The amount of times I
have to fix stuff because they've been fiddling with things they're not
meant to, and haven't got a clue what they do. The more things you can
hide away from them, the better, IMHO.

The great thing is, they have left the options there to turn make things
visble again. Or if not, there are usually some third party solutions
that'll do it easily enough.

Either way, the safest options are being set by default. If you have a
clue, then it's no big deal to reactivate things.

--
Andy Hewitt
<www.andy-hewitt.me.uk>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Warren Oates
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 11:31 PM
In article <1kluzkg.1uijm9a1ksfcuwN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Andy Hewitt) wrote:

> Either way, the safest options are being set by default. If you have a
> clue, then it's no big deal to reactivate things.


I've been doing this a long time, and I'm used to seeing my prefs
persist across upgrades. So when Lion booted the first time and no
drives showed up on the Desktop, I immediately thought that something
had "gone wrong" with the upgrade. An empty Desktop?

My next thought was that they (Apple) had just set those prefs back to
zero. Which was the case. Lion works. The scroll bars are just silly.
It's almost like some practical joke.
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Hewitt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1kluzkg.1uijm9a1ksfcuwN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Andy Hewitt) wrote:
>
> > Either way, the safest options are being set by default. If you have a
> > clue, then it's no big deal to reactivate things.

>
> I've been doing this a long time, and I'm used to seeing my prefs
> persist across upgrades. So when Lion booted the first time and no
> drives showed up on the Desktop, I immediately thought that something
> had "gone wrong" with the upgrade. An empty Desktop?
>
> My next thought was that they (Apple) had just set those prefs back to
> zero. Which was the case. Lion works. The scroll bars are just silly.
> It's almost like some practical joke.


I'm with you on the scroll bars. And what's happened to the one-click
arrow buttons?

--
Andy Hewitt
<www.andy-hewitt.me.uk>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
J.J.O'Shea, come out, come out, wherever you are zara Apple 18 09-09-2007 12:15 AM
How come 160 GB HD don't come in 7300 rpm ? mm IBM Thinkpad 1 09-03-2007 12:24 PM
OT Come one, come all, meeting tonight at The PitŪ for the 13th step - HAL9000 Abit 30 03-24-2006 01:26 AM
8+3 files on FAT32 drives are shown uppercased Jerome Apple 1 09-19-2004 12:18 AM
NF7 , CD drives shown as SCSI George Abit 6 06-09-2004 03:31 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:18 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment