comp is making noise under graphics load

lxs

Hey guys I have asus p4p800se with p4 2.8E ghz and radeon 9800pro.
The problem is when I try to run graphics program that uses opengl or
directx (ex. SolidWorks) it makes noises as soon as I move the model
with my mouse..It makes noise even when i scroll down the page.

What could be the problem?

Thank you.

CoCo

lxs skrev:
> Hey guys I have asus p4p800se with p4 2.8E ghz and radeon 9800pro.
> The problem is when I try to run graphics program that uses opengl or
> directx (ex. SolidWorks) it makes noises as soon as I move the model
> with my mouse..It makes noise even when i scroll down the page.

hi

cpu/gf use much more power under load and then something like parts in psu or cpu power
converters (transistors/coils) makes the sound, can also be ure soundcard that picks up the
electric noise, u didn't tell if it were in speakers or not.

> What could be the problem?

maybe, but likely not. but u can check the mb for the cause by putting u're finger around to
locate parts that "sounds" (coils & transistors), little warning here, hot parts!!!

if u dare and have found the noisemaker maybe a plastic stiper or shrinkhose can fix it!

> Thank you.

;-)

Dylan C

lxs wrote:
> Hey guys I have asus p4p800se with p4 2.8E ghz and radeon 9800pro.
> The problem is when I try to run graphics program that uses opengl or
> directx (ex. SolidWorks) it makes noises as soon as I move the model
> with my mouse..It makes noise even when i scroll down the page.
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> Thank you.

What does the noise sound like? If its a hardware noise like a rattle
or buzz, you should be able to pinpoint the source by removing the side
from your case and listening for the sound. Once the source is
determined, the problem can be better addressed.

-Dylan C

Zephyr

I'm think interrupt. His sound card interrupt is the same as the hard drive
or something?

--
Zyp
"Dylan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> lxs wrote:
> > Hey guys I have asus p4p800se with p4 2.8E ghz and radeon 9800pro.
> > The problem is when I try to run graphics program that uses opengl or
> > directx (ex. SolidWorks) it makes noises as soon as I move the model
> > with my mouse..It makes noise even when i scroll down the page.
> >
> > What could be the problem?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> What does the noise sound like? If its a hardware noise like a rattle
> or buzz, you should be able to pinpoint the source by removing the side
> from your case and listening for the sound. Once the source is
> determined, the problem can be better addressed.
>
> -Dylan C

lxs

Dylan C wrote:
> lxs wrote:
> > Hey guys I have asus p4p800se with p4 2.8E ghz and radeon 9800pro.
> > The problem is when I try to run graphics program that uses opengl or
> > directx (ex. SolidWorks) it makes noises as soon as I move the model
> > with my mouse..It makes noise even when i scroll down the page.
> >
> > What could be the problem?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> What does the noise sound like? If its a hardware noise like a rattle
> or buzz, you should be able to pinpoint the source by removing the side
> from your case and listening for the sound. Once the source is
> determined, the problem can be better addressed.
>
> -Dylan C

Thanks for the reply.
I don't have any speakers.
I've tried pin pointing to the location of the sound the noise is
coming from the area around cpu, its deminitely not PWS.
In general the noise sounds like something is being calculated but its
ubnormal.

Any help would be appresiated.

Thank you.

Dylan C

lxs wrote:
> Dylan C wrote:
>
>>lxs wrote:
>>
>>>Hey guys I have asus p4p800se with p4 2.8E ghz and radeon 9800pro.
>>>The problem is when I try to run graphics program that uses opengl or
>>>directx (ex. SolidWorks) it makes noises as soon as I move the model
>>>with my mouse..It makes noise even when i scroll down the page.
>>>
>>>What could be the problem?
>>>
>>>Thank you.
>>>

>>What does the noise sound like? If its a hardware noise like a rattle
>>or buzz, you should be able to pinpoint the source by removing the side
>>from your case and listening for the sound. Once the source is
>>determined, the problem can be better addressed.
>>
>>-Dylan C

> Thanks for the reply.
> I don't have any speakers.
> I've tried pin pointing to the location of the sound the noise is
> coming from the area around cpu, its deminitely not PWS.
> In general the noise sounds like something is being calculated but its
> ubnormal.
>
> Any help would be appresiated.
>
> Thank you.

Well, I don't know what something sounds like when its being
"calculated", but if its a mechanical noise, its got to be coming from
some moving parts. Likely sources are a bad CPU fan or Northbridge fan.
Since it seems to happen only when CPU is stressed, I'd suspect the
CPU fan. On the other hand, if its an electrical noise coming from some
component of the system, it could be much more difficult to fix. If you
can't tell the difference between electrical and mechanical noise, I
suggest you take it into the professionals.

-Dylan C

lxs

Dylan C wrote:
> lxs wrote:
> > Dylan C wrote:

> >>What does the noise sound like? If its a hardware noise like a rattle
> >>or buzz, you should be able to pinpoint the source by removing the side
> >>from your case and listening for the sound. Once the source is
> >>determined, the problem can be better addressed.
> >>
> >>-Dylan C

> > Thanks for the reply.
> > I don't have any speakers.
> > I've tried pin pointing to the location of the sound the noise is
> > coming from the area around cpu, its deminitely not PWS.
> > In general the noise sounds like something is being calculated but its
> > ubnormal.
> >
> > Any help would be appresiated.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> Well, I don't know what something sounds like when its being
> "calculated", but if its a mechanical noise, its got to be coming from
> some moving parts. Likely sources are a bad CPU fan or Northbridge fan.
> Since it seems to happen only when CPU is stressed, I'd suspect the
> CPU fan. On the other hand, if its an electrical noise coming from some
> component of the system, it could be much more difficult to fix. If you
> can't tell the difference between electrical and mechanical noise, I
> suggest you take it into the professionals.
>
> -Dylan C

Thanks again for your input.
Its not a mechanical noise since I've just replaced the cpu fan and PWS
but it seems like it might be electrical and its coming around the left
side of the cpu socket. I've checked for damaged circuit and found
nothing on either side of the board.
Under 50% stress the temperature of the CPU rises to 55c case temp is
at 26c and mobo tem is 30c.

Any sugestions?

Thank you.

Eric Parker

"lxs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Dylan C wrote:
> > lxs wrote:

9800pro.

opengl or

model

rattle

the side

> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > > I don't have any speakers.
> > > I've tried pin pointing to the location of the sound the noise

is
> > > coming from the area around cpu, its deminitely not PWS.
> > > In general the noise sounds like something is being calculated

but its
> > > ubnormal.
> > >
> > > Any help would be appresiated.
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> > >

> > Well, I don't know what something sounds like when its being
> > "calculated", but if its a mechanical noise, its got to be coming

from
> > some moving parts. Likely sources are a bad CPU fan or

Northbridge fan.
> > Since it seems to happen only when CPU is stressed, I'd suspect

the
> > CPU fan. On the other hand, if its an electrical noise coming

from some
> > component of the system, it could be much more difficult to fix.

If you
> > can't tell the difference between electrical and mechanical noise,

> > suggest you take it into the professionals.
> >
> > -Dylan C

> Thanks again for your input.
> Its not a mechanical noise since I've just replaced the cpu fan and

PWS
> but it seems like it might be electrical and its coming around the

left
> side of the cpu socket. I've checked for damaged circuit and found
> nothing on either side of the board.
> Under 50% stress the temperature of the CPU rises to 55c case temp

is
> at 26c and mobo tem is 30c.
>
> Any sugestions?
>
> Thank you.

From your description I've got no idea what it sounds like.
Can you record normal & noisy and post it on a web site ?
Around the sides of CPU sockets are power converters.
CoCo's suggestion of touching these to dampen the sounds seems useful,
but as stated, beware the hot parts.

Eric
--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

lxs

Eric Parker wrote:
> "lxs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Dylan C wrote:

> 9800pro.

> opengl or

> model

> rattle

> the side

> is

> but its

> > > Well, I don't know what something sounds like when its being
> > > "calculated", but if its a mechanical noise, its got to be coming

> from
> > > some moving parts. Likely sources are a bad CPU fan or

> Northbridge fan.
> > > Since it seems to happen only when CPU is stressed, I'd suspect

> the
> > > CPU fan. On the other hand, if its an electrical noise coming

> from some
> > > component of the system, it could be much more difficult to fix.

> If you
> > > can't tell the difference between electrical and mechanical noise,

> > > suggest you take it into the professionals.
> > >
> > > -Dylan C

> > Thanks again for your input.
> > Its not a mechanical noise since I've just replaced the cpu fan and

> PWS
> > but it seems like it might be electrical and its coming around the

> left
> > side of the cpu socket. I've checked for damaged circuit and found
> > nothing on either side of the board.
> > Under 50% stress the temperature of the CPU rises to 55c case temp

> is
> > at 26c and mobo tem is 30c.
> >
> > Any sugestions?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> From your description I've got no idea what it sounds like.
> Can you record normal & noisy and post it on a web site ?
> Around the sides of CPU sockets are power converters.
> CoCo's suggestion of touching these to dampen the sounds seems useful,
> but as stated, beware the hot parts.
>
> Eric
> --
> Remove the dross to contact me directly

Thank you for the reply.
I'm going to try and do that.
By the way is 55c on 50% load too much or not using "sisoft" P4 2.8E
socket 478.

Regards.