Compaq laptop: Touchpad doesn't work!!

XYLOPHONE

Hello,

I have a Compaq EVO N800c laptop, and I had to disassemble it to
remove clock battery, to erase password lock. Now, I remounted it, and
everything is OK, except the touchpad and buttons don't work.

While unmounting it, I pulled a fragile ribbon cable about in the
middle (ZIF socket I think), but the whole white connector came with
it. When remounting, I disconnected the ribbon cable from the
connector in my hand, and wanted to reseat the connector onto
motherboard pin rows, before reconnecting the ribbon cable to
connector. Unfortunately, while attempting to reseat it on the pins,
the pins bent, and while trying to straighten them up, they got off
completely, so I couldn't connect the ribbon cable.

Is that why touchpad doesn't work? And if so, is there a way to make
it work again?

Thanks for any help.

Arno

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc XYLOPHONE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,

> I have a Compaq EVO N800c laptop, and I had to disassemble it to
> remove clock battery, to erase password lock. Now, I remounted it, and
> everything is OK, except the touchpad and buttons don't work.

> While unmounting it, I pulled a fragile ribbon cable about in the
> middle (ZIF socket I think), but the whole white connector came with
> it. When remounting, I disconnected the ribbon cable from the
> connector in my hand, and wanted to reseat the connector onto
> motherboard pin rows, before reconnecting the ribbon cable to
> connector. Unfortunately, while attempting to reseat it on the pins,
> the pins bent, and while trying to straighten them up, they got off
> completely, so I couldn't connect the ribbon cable.

> Is that why touchpad doesn't work?

Likely.

> And if so, is there a way to make it work again?

Somebody experienced with soldering fine connections
could do a wire-bypass. Don't expect an ordinary computer
repair shop to have these skills available.

Arno