Compaq Presario 5330US Power Supply Replacement

Rich Bunevitch

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to replace the 235W power supply in his Compaq
Presario 5330US so he can upgrade the video card to play the latest
games. I took an Antec Earthwatts 380W ATX12V, V2.2 supply to his
house last night but was reluctant to install it after removing the 24
pin P/S connector from the motherboard.

Although both connectors appear to be physically identical, a few of
the wires were different colors (+3.3V?) and each connector has 1 wire
not connected, but they were different wires. The Antec is missing the
-5V line. I can't remember which wire was missing on the original P/S
but it was on the other side of the connector so I think it was either
the Power Good or +5V Standby line.

I didn't remove the original P/S from the case so I'm not sure if the
physical dimensions of the supplies match, either.

I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I can safely replace
the existing P/S with the Antec and not have to worry about the system
going up in smoke when its powered on.

Russ

You need to find a compaq type supply!The colors will match the original
supply exactly or no go.
"Rich Bunevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> A friend of mine wants to replace the 235W power supply in his Compaq
> Presario 5330US so he can upgrade the video card to play the latest
> games. I took an Antec Earthwatts 380W ATX12V, V2.2 supply to his
> house last night but was reluctant to install it after removing the 24
> pin P/S connector from the motherboard.
>
> Although both connectors appear to be physically identical, a few of
> the wires were different colors (+3.3V?) and each connector has 1 wire
> not connected, but they were different wires. The Antec is missing the
> -5V line. I can't remember which wire was missing on the original P/S
> but it was on the other side of the connector so I think it was either
> the Power Good or +5V Standby line.
>
> I didn't remove the original P/S from the case so I'm not sure if the
> physical dimensions of the supplies match, either.
>
> I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I can safely replace
> the existing P/S with the Antec and not have to worry about the system
> going up in smoke when its powered on.

Ben Myers

Nope! Another urban myth about supposedly proprietary parts!!! The colors of
the wires make no difference at all. The manufacturer chooses the wire colors,
and they DO match certain voltages, but there is NO industry standard for the
color of power supply wire leads. Next thing you know, sombody will say that a
beige DVD writer is functionally different than a black one.

According to the HPaq wb site, the system uses a standard form factor microATX
motherboard. This uses a standard ATX12v power supply with a 20-pin ATX
connector and a second 4-pin 12v connector to the motherboard. The main thing
here is to match up the pattern of the screw hole. IIRC, there is nothing
unusual about the size and shape of the PSUs used in P4 Presarios.

The OP needs to be careful only because many newer aftermarket power supplies
have the newer 24-pin motherboard connectors. However, many of them allow you
to separate 4 pins which are left unconnected and to then use the older 20-pin
connector. Other aftermarket power supplies are also made for dual 20- or
24-pin use, with a distinctly separate 20- and 4- pin connectors, which go
side-by-side if the motherboard is a newer one.

Finally, the OP needs to keep in mind that the AGP port is rated at 4x, not 8x.
An AGP card designed for 8x operation will work OK in a 4x AGP slot, but not at
8x speeds... Ben Myers

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:21:14 -0500, "Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You need to find a compaq type supply!The colors will match the original
>supply exactly or no go.
>"Rich Bunevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>>
>> A friend of mine wants to replace the 235W power supply in his Compaq
>> Presario 5330US so he can upgrade the video card to play the latest
>> games. I took an Antec Earthwatts 380W ATX12V, V2.2 supply to his
>> house last night but was reluctant to install it after removing the 24
>> pin P/S connector from the motherboard.
>>
>> Although both connectors appear to be physically identical, a few of
>> the wires were different colors (+3.3V?) and each connector has 1 wire
>> not connected, but they were different wires. The Antec is missing the
>> -5V line. I can't remember which wire was missing on the original P/S
>> but it was on the other side of the connector so I think it was either
>> the Power Good or +5V Standby line.
>>
>> I didn't remove the original P/S from the case so I'm not sure if the
>> physical dimensions of the supplies match, either.
>>
>> I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I can safely replace
>> the existing P/S with the Antec and not have to worry about the system
>> going up in smoke when its powered on.

Rich Bunevitch

The PSU in the Compaq Presario 5330US is about 1/2" higher and 1/2"
narrower than an ATX12V, Version 2.2 PSU and the mounting screw holes
do not match up. If you like to do case mods, I guess you would not
consider that proprietary.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:18:45 -0500, Ben Myers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nope! Another urban myth about supposedly proprietary parts!!! The colors of
>the wires make no difference at all. The manufacturer chooses the wire colors,
>and they DO match certain voltages, but there is NO industry standard for the
>color of power supply wire leads. Next thing you know, sombody will say that a
>beige DVD writer is functionally different than a black one.
>
>According to the HPaq wb site, the system uses a standard form factor microATX
>motherboard. This uses a standard ATX12v power supply with a 20-pin ATX
>connector and a second 4-pin 12v connector to the motherboard. The main thing
>here is to match up the pattern of the screw hole. IIRC, there is nothing
>unusual about the size and shape of the PSUs used in P4 Presarios.
>
>The OP needs to be careful only because many newer aftermarket power supplies
>have the newer 24-pin motherboard connectors. However, many of them allow you
>to separate 4 pins which are left unconnected and to then use the older 20-pin
>connector. Other aftermarket power supplies are also made for dual 20- or
>24-pin use, with a distinctly separate 20- and 4- pin connectors, which go
>side-by-side if the motherboard is a newer one.
>
>Finally, the OP needs to keep in mind that the AGP port is rated at 4x, not 8x.
>An AGP card designed for 8x operation will work OK in a 4x AGP slot, but not at
>8x speeds... Ben Myers
>
>On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:21:14 -0500, "Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>You need to find a compaq type supply!The colors will match the original
>>supply exactly or no go.
>>"Rich Bunevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A friend of mine wants to replace the 235W power supply in his Compaq
>>> Presario 5330US so he can upgrade the video card to play the latest
>>> games. I took an Antec Earthwatts 380W ATX12V, V2.2 supply to his
>>> house last night but was reluctant to install it after removing the 24
>>> pin P/S connector from the motherboard.
>>>
>>> Although both connectors appear to be physically identical, a few of
>>> the wires were different colors (+3.3V?) and each connector has 1 wire
>>> not connected, but they were different wires. The Antec is missing the
>>> -5V line. I can't remember which wire was missing on the original P/S
>>> but it was on the other side of the connector so I think it was either
>>> the Power Good or +5V Standby line.
>>>
>>> I didn't remove the original P/S from the case so I'm not sure if the
>>> physical dimensions of the supplies match, either.
>>>
>>> I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I can safely replace
>>> the existing P/S with the Antec and not have to worry about the system
>>> going up in smoke when its powered on.

Ben Myers

You're right about the form factor. My bad. BUT the Compaq P4 Presarios DO
use a standard ATX12v connector, which means that one can test the motherboard's
operation independently of the original PSU, if and when that is a
consideration. The colors of the wires make no difference at all... Ben Myers

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:34:22 GMT, Rich Bunevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The PSU in the Compaq Presario 5330US is about 1/2" higher and 1/2"
>narrower than an ATX12V, Version 2.2 PSU and the mounting screw holes
>do not match up. If you like to do case mods, I guess you would not
>consider that proprietary.
>

>On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:18:45 -0500, Ben Myers
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Nope! Another urban myth about supposedly proprietary parts!!! The colors of
>>the wires make no difference at all. The manufacturer chooses the wire colors,
>>and they DO match certain voltages, but there is NO industry standard for the
>>color of power supply wire leads. Next thing you know, sombody will say that a
>>beige DVD writer is functionally different than a black one.
>>
>>According to the HPaq wb site, the system uses a standard form factor microATX
>>motherboard. This uses a standard ATX12v power supply with a 20-pin ATX
>>connector and a second 4-pin 12v connector to the motherboard. The main thing
>>here is to match up the pattern of the screw hole. IIRC, there is nothing
>>unusual about the size and shape of the PSUs used in P4 Presarios.
>>
>>The OP needs to be careful only because many newer aftermarket power supplies
>>have the newer 24-pin motherboard connectors. However, many of them allow you
>>to separate 4 pins which are left unconnected and to then use the older 20-pin
>>connector. Other aftermarket power supplies are also made for dual 20- or
>>24-pin use, with a distinctly separate 20- and 4- pin connectors, which go
>>side-by-side if the motherboard is a newer one.
>>
>>Finally, the OP needs to keep in mind that the AGP port is rated at 4x, not 8x.
>>An AGP card designed for 8x operation will work OK in a 4x AGP slot, but not at
>>8x speeds... Ben Myers
>>
>>On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 08:21:14 -0500, "Russ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>You need to find a compaq type supply!The colors will match the original
>>>supply exactly or no go.
>>>"Rich Bunevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

Rich Bunevitch

Thanks for the info. I guess I can always move everything to another
case since the motherboard is MicroATX and the power connector is
ATX12V.

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:27:14 -0500, Ben Myers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You're right about the form factor. My bad. BUT the Compaq P4 Presarios DO
>use a standard ATX12v connector, which means that one can test the motherboard's
>operation independently of the original PSU, if and when that is a
>consideration. The colors of the wires make no difference at all... Ben Myers
>
>On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:34:22 GMT, Rich Bunevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The PSU in the Compaq Presario 5330US is about 1/2" higher and 1/2"
>>narrower than an ATX12V, Version 2.2 PSU and the mounting screw holes
>>do not match up. If you like to do case mods, I guess you would not
>>consider that proprietary.
>>

>>On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 10:18:45 -0500, Ben Myers
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Nope! Another urban myth about supposedly proprietary parts!!! The colors of
>>>the wires make no difference at all. The manufacturer chooses the wire colors,
>>>and they DO match certain voltages, but there is NO industry standard for the
>>>color of power supply wire leads. Next thing you know, sombody will say that a
>>>beige DVD writer is functionally different than a black one.
>>>
>>>According to the HPaq wb site, the system uses a standard form factor microATX
>>>motherboard. This uses a standard ATX12v power supply with a 20-pin ATX
>>>connector and a second 4-pin 12v connector to the motherboard. The main thing
>>>here is to match up the pattern of the screw hole. IIRC, there is nothing
>>>unusual about the size and shape of the PSUs used in P4 Presarios.
>>>
>>>The OP needs to be careful only because many newer aftermarket power supplies
>>>have the newer 24-pin motherboard connectors. However, many of them allow you
>>>to separate 4 pins which are left unconnected and to then use the older 20-pin
>>>connector. Other aftermarket power supplies are also made for dual 20- or
>>>24-pin use, with a distinctly separate 20- and 4- pin connectors, which go
>>>side-by-side if the motherboard is a newer one.
>>>
>>>Finally, the OP needs to keep in mind that the AGP port is rated at 4x, not 8x.
>>>An AGP card designed for 8x operation will work OK in a 4x AGP slot, but not at
>>>8x speeds... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

That is a reasonable option. From what you've described, the power supply in
the computer is one of the smallish ATX12v ones, and name brand manufacturers
seem to pick from several different sizes. They are pain in the ass to match
up in terms of size, while increasing the wattage... Ben Myers