compaq presario 5834 not recognizing dvd/cd-rom

bozomedic

I had to perform a "quickrestore" on my 5834 Presario. For som
reason, the DVD and CD Rom drives do not show up in device manager.
They open and close and when media is placed in them the drives spin
it's just that windows does not seem to be recognizing them.
checked the connections and there is not a problem with the cables.
any suggestions

Ben Myers

Version of Windows???? Procedure to fix varies from version to version.
.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:31:51 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)lid (bozomedic) wrote:

>I had to perform a "quickrestore" on my 5834 Presario. For some
>reason, the DVD and CD Rom drives do not show up in device manager.
>They open and close and when media is placed in them the drives spin,
>it's just that windows does not seem to be recognizing them. I
>checked the connections and there is not a problem with the cables.
>any suggestions?

bozomedic

sorry..it is running windows 98 ....it has a DVD rom and cd burner.
THere is an intel celeron 500 processor and a 17gb hard drive.
know it's "outdated", but I cant afford a new one yet and we need i
for school. Thanks for any help you can give

P.S. I tried calling Compaq and had the on-line chats, of course the
could not help me

bozomedic

oh..just so you know, I disconnected the CD Rom drives and re-booted.
Then I re-ceonnected them and rebooted. They do not show up in BIOS
but they do open and close when I push the buttons on the Drives, an
they "spin" when a disc is inserted, they just are not showing up i
device manage

Ben Myers

I suggest changing the presumed C2032 3v CMOS battery. It's possible that the
battery is the villain, especially if it has never been changed. If the drives
do not show up in the BIOS, there are several possible causes:

1. Loose cable (but probably not a reversed cable connection)
2. Incorrect or conflicting jumper settings
3. Failed IDE port
4. Incorrect BIOS setup

And if the drives do not show in the BIOS, they will never show in any version
of Windows... Ben Myers

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:31:47 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)lid (bozomedic) wrote:

>oh..just so you know, I disconnected the CD Rom drives and re-booted.
>Then I re-ceonnected them and rebooted. They do not show up in BIOS,
>but they do open and close when I push the buttons on the Drives, and
>they "spin" when a disc is inserted, they just are not showing up in
>device manager

bozomedic

the dvd is pioneer dvd-114mc and the cdrw is phillips cdd4401/71...

bozomedic

ok..I replaced the battery and got some weird error message about
system32 error. after looking that up, it told me to reload th
drivers...I then did a new quick restore...still the sam
problem.......cd roms do not show up in device manager...the jumpe
settings are good and so are the cables...how do I rule out a bad ID
or BIOS settings? (I have the most current BIOS drivers from Compaq