Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

compaq Presario problems

 
 
iamhungery
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-31-2007, 02:39 AM
Hi Guys & Gals;

I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
small greem light on the power supply that continualy blinks (continualy)
whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.

Before I replace the power supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
the problem.

Keep happy

Glenn


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
w_tom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007, 12:20 AM
On May 30, 10:39 pm, "iamhungery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
> working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
> small greem light on thepower supplythat continualy blinks (continualy)
> whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.
>
> Before I replace thepower supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
> the problem.


Before you replace anything - even disconnect any wires - a problem
should first be identified. Power supply 'system' suspects can be
identified in but two minutes with the essential computer tool - a 3.5
digit multimeter. A tools so ubiquitous as to be sold even in K-mart,
Lowes, Radio Shack, Tru-Value hardware for only $20; $10 on sale.

Procedure is posted previously in "When your computer dies without
warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp
at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh

Notice voltage on purple wire. That voltage could be completely 'out
of spec' and yet light would still glow. Also notice when purple wire
is and is not powered. That wire is why you always remove AC power
cord before making any changes.

Notice I also said 'system'. Power supply 'system' includes more
than just a power supply.

With numbers - good or bad - then post them. Those numbers may also
provide other useful facts. Your replies will only be as good as
provided facts - the numbers.


Long before looking at any other suspect, you must first establish
the integrity of your power supply 'system'. Anything or everything
can act bad if 'system' numbers are not correct.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
paulmd@efn.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007, 04:01 PM
On May 30, 7:39 pm, "iamhungery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi Guys & Gals;
>
> I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
> working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
> small greem light on the power supply that continualy blinks (continualy)
> whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.
>
> Before I replace the power supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
> the problem.
>
> Keep happy
>
> Glenn


The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.

Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not. There's
a run of them, in the early P4 range that have a 24 pin connector,
PLUS an additional 4 pin connector. Last time I priced one, it was
insanely expensive, to order one from HP (who bought Compaq). On the
order of 200USD.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007, 05:38 PM
The Paq also used a non-standard 24-pin power connector in some of its DeskPro
Socket 370 desktops. At least I think it is non-standard. Never saw a pinout
to compare with the newer 24-pin BTX... Ben Myers

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:01:19 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On May 30, 7:39 pm, "iamhungery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi Guys & Gals;
>>
>> I have fallen air (?) to a Compaq Presario (desktop) "519J". It is mot
>> working absoloutly nothing, not even fans or a beep. There is however, a
>> small greem light on the power supply that continualy blinks (continualy)
>> whenever the unit is pluged in. I am assuming that there is a fuse blown.
>>
>> Before I replace the power supply, am I right, or should I look elseware for
>> the problem.
>>
>> Keep happy
>>
>> Glenn

>
>The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
>pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.
>
>Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not. There's
>a run of them, in the early P4 range that have a 24 pin connector,
>PLUS an additional 4 pin connector. Last time I priced one, it was
>insanely expensive, to order one from HP (who bought Compaq). On the
>order of 200USD.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
w_tom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007, 06:59 PM
On Jun 2, 12:01 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
> pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.
>
> Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not.


Long before replacing anything, one first identifies the failure.
What is only suspected does not matter. What numbers report is
important.

Is the pinout an ATX standard? Again, the 3.5 digit multimeter
would answer that questions in conjunction with data from pictures
provided by pennyw, kony, and others:
http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXP...pplyWiring.htm
http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

Assuming a power supply is bad and then swapping on that assumption
may exponentailly complicate a failure. If the power supply is not
ATX standard, then it could do massive more damage. Shotgunning -
replacing parts only on 'feelings' - is not how anything should be
repaired. The meter is essential to first determine what in a power
supply 'system' is defective (yes - a system and not just a power
supply), and to determine is power supply is ATX standard.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Myers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Well, as a regular practicioner of the black art of computer repair, often the
quickest and easiest way to determine which part failed is to substitute a
suspected component with a known good one from the test bench. Of course,
doing so presupposes that one has plenty of inexpensive spare parts to sacrifice
if some other component is bad and causes yet another failure. Doing so also
presupposes that one knows that the pinouts are standard or non-standard, same
as if one were to use a mulitmeter. I continue to this practice because it has
worked well for me for a number of years. I have a multimeter, but I do not
use it very often... Ben Myers

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:59:08 -0700, w_tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 2, 12:01 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The blinkey green light on Compaq power supplies is a Bad Thing. I'd
>> pick the power supply as the most likely culprit.
>>
>> Most Compaq power supplies are standard ATX, but some are not.

>
> Long before replacing anything, one first identifies the failure.
>What is only suspected does not matter. What numbers report is
>important.
>
> Is the pinout an ATX standard? Again, the 3.5 digit multimeter
>would answer that questions in conjunction with data from pictures
>provided by pennyw, kony, and others:
> http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXP...pplyWiring.htm
> http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-10586-5566528.html
> www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
> http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html
>
> Assuming a power supply is bad and then swapping on that assumption
>may exponentailly complicate a failure. If the power supply is not
>ATX standard, then it could do massive more damage. Shotgunning -
>replacing parts only on 'feelings' - is not how anything should be
>repaired. The meter is essential to first determine what in a power
>supply 'system' is defective (yes - a system and not just a power
>supply), and to determine is power supply is ATX standard.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compaq Presario Pentium 4 tower missing recovery CDs, anyway to restore from generic Windows XP CD using Compaq's Product Key? Nate Goulet Compaq 3 05-07-2009 10:28 PM
Compaq Presario C765TU Laptop Buy Compaq Presario C765TU Laptop Anushka Sharma Laptops 0 03-26-2009 10:17 AM
Compaq Presario 1200 power problems Steve F. Compaq 1 12-09-2003 06:48 PM
Compaq Presario 5446A Hard Disk Problems. Iain West Compaq 0 09-18-2003 09:07 AM
Compaq Presario 5446 into Presario 5440 Case Grocus Compaq 0 09-04-2003 01:41 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment